Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast Experience

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wanted to post and let fellow Earthborn users know that I recently strayed away from Earthborn Meadow Feast (which has lamb as the protein source) to Great Plains Feast (which has bison as the protein source) because my dog food store was temporarily out of the Meadow Feast.

Within two weeks of when we opened the bag, I noticed both dogs were losing quite a bit of fur and then I noticed that Truman was really itching his tummy. We had to go to the vet today because Truman had a blotch on his stomach that grew so irritated that it turned black! I will try to post a pic, it's horrifying looking! He had patches of missing hair on his sides as well.

The vet immediately suspected the change in protein in the food and, after trying to talk me into the ridiculous prescription diet that is full of unhealthy ingredients, she said it was likely the bison that wasn't agreeing with him. We did a skin scrap to rule out mites or anything else and it came back fine.

So we're on some ointment to clear up the rash and a fresh bag of the Meadow Feast!

I know all bullies are different and some might respond well to the Great Plains (bison) formula but I wanted to let anyone considering that formula to know both Linus and Truman both didn't do well and appear intolerant of the bison.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Here's a pic of Truman's rash/splotch on his belly...looks awful, I know!

Ouch.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Whoa that looks awful! I use the great plains fir Molly only, she does great on it however no one else did as well. That almost looks like a skin infection too

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh that looks bad. I'm curious, did your vet suspect the change in the protien or the protein percentage. Is Bision a righer source of protein vs others?

Jack our non bully is on the Great Plains and is doing great on it but he was already on a higher protein before his swtich from Blue Wilderness.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson finished a 15 lb bag of Great Plains and he did ok with it. I wonder if he was itching and scratched himself raw like that

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys are on great plains feast, but I just ordered a bag of Nature's Logic to try although there were no health issues with the great plains feast, I think there is room for improvement in certain areas. Their poos were still solid, but softer than before and all three boys are starting to get tear stains. Tear stains are my nemesis!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have a boston on the great plains and he is doing fine. just bought a new bag of it. of course sarah cannot even try it due to the peas.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
i have a boston on the great plains and he is doing fine. just bought a new bag of it. of course sarah cannot even try it due to the peas.
Don't you wish like a kid you could just pluck those peas aside. :D Is that the only ingredient it has that Sarah can't have?

I'm really pleased with the Earthborn so far. Wilson's tear stains and overly watery eyes have all but disappeared. :up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Don't you wish like a kid you could just pluck those peas aside. :D Is that the only ingredient it has that Sarah can't have?

I'm really pleased with the Earthborn so far. Wilson's tear stains and overly watery eyes have all but disappeared. :up:
yep far as i can tell thats the only thing but the biggest thing in there so no go for her. im glad wilson is better :)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish water eyes and tear stains would have gone away here. Oliver is usually the only one with watery eyes (environmental allergies), but now Sebastian has them too!!! Lisa suggested Nature's Logic so I'm gonna try it!!!!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I wish water eyes and tear stains would have gone away here. Oliver is usually the only one with watery eyes (environmental allergies), but now Sebastian has them too!!! Lisa suggested Nature's Logic so I'm gonna try it!!!!
Watson has been on Nature's Logic for couple of months. He still has tear stains and a little more gassy than when we was on Fromm beef frittata but the poop is more solid than when on Fromm. We are on the Beef formula. I am in the process of switching him to Acana Pacifica.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson has been on Nature's Logic for couple of months. He still has tear stains and a little more gassy than when we was on Fromm beef frittata but the poop is more solid than when on Fromm. We are on the Beef formula. I am in the process of switching him to Acana Pacifica.

if this doesn't work, then I'm going back to Fromm because Oliver's tear stains totally disappeared when on that, but I wanted to stay away from a food with potatoes in it!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
if this doesn't work, then I'm going back to Fromm because Oliver's tear stains totally disappeared when on that, but I wanted to stay away from a food with potatoes in it!
i hear ya, there should be a dog food company where we go online to the company website and pick out what specific ingredients we want and have them make it for us:lmao:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
i hear ya, there should be a dog food company where we go online to the company website and pick out what specific ingredients we want and have them make it for us:lmao:

when I win the mega million that's just what I'm going to do, Vinh!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.