Taste of the Wild

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I've been using TOTW for over a year with Boris and its been great! We had tear stain issues with the Pacific Stream and Wetlands recipes, but we love the High Prairie and Sierra Mountain blends! My Vet gave me a ton of grief the last time I was in cause she says that TOTW doesn't do enough clinical trials and recommended Royal Canine... I tried my best not to be rude and ignored her comments :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I know that I'm half a decade late to the party, but since this forum is still accessible by googling info about what to feed your bulldog, I figured I'd add my experience. I recently switched my bulldog to TOTW largely due to all the testimonials here and elsewhere online. Unfortunately my experience has not been good at all. My dog used to poop regularly, every morning, but since switching the food it has become constant. He needs to go 3 or 4 times a day. He's started vomiting every once in a while in the middle of the night, sometimes pooping in the house if he can't get outside the (now necessary) 5 times per day. I don't know if it's just too rich for him or what. He's a bulldog, obviously has a sensitive stomach.

His skin also turned for the worse once his food was transitioned over to TOTW. He developed rashes and really bad dandruff. However, I'm not confident in attributing that to the food. So I would take that with a grain of salt.

He seems to like the taste enough, but he's not picky. He liked the Royal Canin just as much. I also am not a big fan of the kibble size. The nice thing about the royal canin is the kibbles were a very large, kind of weird spiral shape, which was really easy for him to eat. The TOTW are tiny disks, and he makes a huge mess with them and can't get to all of them because of the shape of his face. Not a massive problem, but a mild annoyance that gets compounded when added in with the constant upset stomach.

I went to the vet just to make sure there wasn't some other underlying issue, but everything just timed a little too perfectly to the food switch. The vet said that she wasn't confident in TOTW either. She had nothing against them, but there's a lot less information about it.

I'll be switching my dog back to Royal Canin this week, because he was always happy and healthy on that. I'll look at other brands in the future, and I'm glad if TOTW works for everyone else's bulldogs. However, for the sake of balance I thought I'd add in my experience so that it's clear that results are not universal and can vary from dog to dog.

Thank you for your input...yes, it's always good to have knowledge of all responses
to foods, especially our sensitive dogs, like bulldogs.

I use TOTW and very pleased, maybe try a different protein in their line before switching
back to Royal Canin? They have some new grain free flavors out including a puppy kibble.

Also, I like the smaller kibble, if your dog hovers them, less likely to get a big one stuck in
a small trachea. Just use a taller stainless bowl that narrows at the bottom.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Perfect timing on this thread. I'm contemplating switching to TOTW from being on Fromms, and below is why:

I currently have both my boys on TOTW also; i had them on Fromm previously but wanted to try something different. By the way they gobble up their meals, I'm sure they're loving the taste. The only issue I have tho is w/Tate's tear stains; seems to have gotten worse since he's been on this food, so i may transition back to Fromm or another brand next. Finn seems to be doing very well on TOTW however.

My boys are both on Fromms. For the past year. We've tried just about every flavor, and the one that works the best is Pork and Peas. One can eat anything and still be fit as a horse with great stool, the other one is a sensitive guy to everything and nothing has been perfect. He gets tear stains from the pork and peas, but he seems to like it better than everything else we've tried. They also STUNK when we tried the beef frittata, that didn't last long!

We switched Heff to TOTW Sierra Mountain from Royal Canine Bulldog formula about 3 weeks ago. The results:
Easier breathing
Less water consumption
No more poop eating
Tear stains just about all gone
It is working for him but that does not mean it will work for you. We have tried several different foods on him before finally finding the right one.

Right, what works for some doesn't work for others. It's a frustrating trial and error thing.

Thanks so much for all of the information and advice! I think we are going to start with TOTW since our breeder uses it and then see how Seamus does. I had previously thought of just going straight to Fromm's but since our breeder said she has good results with TOTW I figured I should start with that. Thanks again!

I had a foster staying with us who was on TOTW, the Salmon. The boys loved it when they tried it, and I didn't notice any ill effects. I'm considering switching from Fromms to TOTW because the kibble size is bigger! The Fromms get stuck in my boys jowels, and they drag kibbles all over the house, and are SO messy at their bowls. With TOTW, they are big enough for them to get it all down.

Thank you for your input...yes, it's always good to have knowledge of all responses
to foods, especially our sensitive dogs, like bulldogs.

I use TOTW and very pleased, maybe try a different protein in their line before switching
back to Royal Canin? They have some new grain free flavors out including a puppy kibble.

Also, I like the smaller kibble, if your dog hovers them, less likely to get a big one stuck in
a small trachea. Just use a taller stainless bowl that narrows at the bottom.

I prefer the bigger kibbles. See above about the mess my boys make with Fromms. It would be the only reason they lose my business.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online