Taste of the Wild

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
I was talking with my breeder and she said she uses Taste of the Wild - grain free dog food for her dogs and it has worked great, no skin issues, etc. I just wanted to see what everybody here thought about this type of food. Thanks!

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hi there - I finished transitioning my guy on to the TOTW Grain free High Prairie a few weeks ago and have already seen some great results. Unfortunatly the breeder had him on royal canin. But he's doing much better now: coat looks excellent, his chin acne cleared up, and he stopped chewing his feet. My only problem is that he loves the food so much that he'll eat his :poo: if I don't add a little pumpkin to it :eek:.

EDIT: forgot to mention too that his leavings went from runny to good and firm. It may take some trial and error to find what works best for your bully.

p.s. would love to see photos!

Last edited:
OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
He is only about a week old right now. We are picking him up from the breeder in July. Can't wait to meet him!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I've been feeding my Samson TOTW pacific stream for the past ~ 6 months and he's doing great on it. He's real sensitive, during his 6 years of life he has had many foods and only found success with a select few and TOTW is one :)

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Arnold is on TOTW and we have had no issues so far. he recently has soem skin breakdown but I am thinking environmental? After a good oatmeal bath, suggested by [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and @ Vicaroo1000, he is lookin good again!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I currently have both my boys on TOTW also; i had them on Fromm previously but wanted to try something different. By the way they gobble up their meals, I'm sure they're loving the taste. The only issue I have tho is w/Tate's tear stains; seems to have gotten worse since he's been on this food, so i may transition back to Fromm or another brand next. Finn seems to be doing very well on TOTW however.

H

heff101

We switched Heff to TOTW Sierra Mountain from Royal Canine Bulldog formula about 3 weeks ago. The results:
Easier breathing
Less water consumption
No more poop eating
Tear stains just about all gone
It is working for him but that does not mean it will work for you. We have tried several different foods on him before finally finding the right one.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im switching my Spina Bifida dogs to TOTW Salmon grain free. I have used it before. Its a good food.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Both of my dogs seem to do fine on TotW, but I'm seriously thinking on going the raw diet route. :)

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I have not tried TOTW but I did research on it before. TOTW is made by Diamond which have recently recalled a couple of their formulas because of Salmonella bacteria earlier this month and have suspended shipments at one of their plants here in South Carolina. :eek:

Diamond Pet Foods Suspends All Shipments from SC Plant

by MIKE SAGMAN

On Friday, April 13, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods has confirmed the company has temporarily suspended shipments of all products manufactured at its Gaston, South Carolina facility. The only reason given for this action was “because a limited number of batches of its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal and Rice Adult dog food did not meet its stringent quality standards”.
Diamond is a major manufacturer of some of this nation’s most popular pet food brands – including Taste of the Wild, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Kirkland, Natural Balance, Canidae and many others.
In an official statement, the company said:
Diamond Pet Foods temporarily suspended delivery on April 8, of all products made at its Gaston, S.C., plant.
The company took this step because a limited number of batches of its Diamond Natural Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food produced at the plant did not meet its stringent quality standards.
Immediately upon discovering the quality issue, the company initiated a voluntary recall of these batches, as announced on April 6.
Diamond Pet Foods is working around the clock to resume product deliveries to distributors and retailers. However, the company is committed to ensuring that the Gaston plant meets the highest possible standards of quality and will only resume full production when this can be assured.
It’s not known which brands are produced at the affected facility.
In addition to its South Carolina plant, the company also produces pet food at 2 other US locations – one in Meta, Missouri and the other in Lathrop, California.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Diamond Pet Foods expands dog food recall to include Chicken Soup brand

Posted by Paul NapoliApril 27, 2012 11:04 PM
0 Comments Print Article
rss-feed-icon-tiny.gif
Subscribe

Consumers who feed their dog Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul should be aware of a recall by Diamond Pet Foods.In an expansion of a recall from earlier this month, major pet food manufacturer Diamond Pet Foods is recalling one production run of the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food because of the potential for dogs and consumers to contract salmonellosis, an infection with the bacteriaSalmonella.According to a release on by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the company is voluntarily recalling the product as a precautionary measure after one bag tested positive for Salmonella.The original dog food recall on April 6 involved Salmonella in certain production runs of Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice dry dog food. Production at the company’s Gaston, SC manufacturing facility stopped since April 8.“We've taken swift action and suspended production,” said Diamond spokeswoman Janine Smiley told the Associated Press. “We take quality issues very seriously and will resume production when we can assure that our products meet our stringent quality standards.”Recalled Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula – dry dog food:35 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 27/JAN/201335 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 28/JAN/201335 lb - CLF0102B32XWR, Best by Date 28/JAN/20136 lb - CLF0102B3XALW, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013Diamond Pet Foods distributed this dog food to Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia. However, distributors and retailers may have further distributed to other states.Consumers are advised to discard this product.Pets who eat Salmonella contaminated food may exhibit symptoms such as decreased appetite, fever, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea, which can turn to bloody diarrhea if left untreated.Humans can contract this illness by handling the food or from their pet; even if the pet does not exhibit symptoms it can transmit the infection. Symptoms of salmonellosis in humans include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Children and people with compromised immune systems are most at risk. While most people recover completely from this infection, some develop reactive arthritis, a long-term and potentially permanent condition characterized by pain in the joints, irritation in the eyes and painful urination. People who suspect they or a family member contracted salmonellosis from contact with this food or pets that ate this food should consult their doctor.For more information, a replacement product or refund, consumers can visit theChicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul recall website or call 800-442-0402.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes totw is made by diamond and they have had recalls before and just one recently as you can see. it does make me nervous about this company now. having said that i have fed this food before with good results as well as i know others that have also. now would i be feeding this food now with this recall going on in one plant it is made in i gotta say no id have to wait and see what goes on. we each have to make up our own minds about out pets. there are lots of dog foods if you look at our dog food ratings page. lots of folk are having good luck with earthborn holistic grain free meadow feast might be a good place to start. oh and welcome and good luck with your puppy. :)

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks so much for all of the information and advice! I think we are going to start with TOTW since our breeder uses it and then see how Seamus does. I had previously thought of just going straight to Fromm's but since our breeder said she has good results with TOTW I figured I should start with that. Thanks again!

ksanders04

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel
Would TOTW be good for a 6 month old puppy, is there a particular kind that I will need to purchase

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It is a good food but the recalls do make me nervous with any food. I fed totw for a long time in my search for what works for my kids. It is a good fod to give a go but honestly you will probably try MANY good foods to find which is best for your baby. They are all soo unique really, what is bad for one is great for another. Yay for you having a breeder that feeds a good food tho. :up:

Arkadin

Mar 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goblin (Goo)
I know that I'm half a decade late to the party, but since this forum is still accessible by googling info about what to feed your bulldog, I figured I'd add my experience. I recently switched my bulldog to TOTW largely due to all the testimonials here and elsewhere online. Unfortunately my experience has not been good at all. My dog used to poop regularly, every morning, but since switching the food it has become constant. He needs to go 3 or 4 times a day. He's started vomiting every once in a while in the middle of the night, sometimes pooping in the house if he can't get outside the (now necessary) 5 times per day. I don't know if it's just too rich for him or what. He's a bulldog, obviously has a sensitive stomach.

His skin also turned for the worse once his food was transitioned over to TOTW. He developed rashes and really bad dandruff. However, I'm not confident in attributing that to the food. So I would take that with a grain of salt.

He seems to like the taste enough, but he's not picky. He liked the Royal Canin just as much. I also am not a big fan of the kibble size. The nice thing about the royal canin is the kibbles were a very large, kind of weird spiral shape, which was really easy for him to eat. The TOTW are tiny disks, and he makes a huge mess with them and can't get to all of them because of the shape of his face. Not a massive problem, but a mild annoyance that gets compounded when added in with the constant upset stomach.

I went to the vet just to make sure there wasn't some other underlying issue, but everything just timed a little too perfectly to the food switch. The vet said that she wasn't confident in TOTW either. She had nothing against them, but there's a lot less information about it.

I'll be switching my dog back to Royal Canin this week, because he was always happy and healthy on that. I'll look at other brands in the future, and I'm glad if TOTW works for everyone else's bulldogs. However, for the sake of balance I thought I'd add in my experience so that it's clear that results are not universal and can vary from dog to dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online