Protein debate and the response I recieved from Orijen which I'm feeding Bongo now

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi All,

This the response e-mail I got from Orijen about there levels of protein and if it's good for a English bulldog puppy. I'm feeding Bongo large breed puppy Orijen which he loves. Hope this helps some people;:p:p

Here it is;

Thank you for taking the time to send us an email. My apologies for the delayed response.

As there are so many myths circulating about high protein diets, this is probably one of the most commonly asked questions received at our customer service.
Countless studies published over the last 15 years have roundly debunked the high protein myth (often fueled by the multinational and marketing companies that still produce low-protein, grain-based foods).
The truth is simple — high-protein diets are Biologically Appropriate for ALL BREEDS of dogs and cats. By better matching the natural diets and anatomical physiology of dogs and cats, higher-protein, lower carbohydrate foods better promote their peak health and conditioning.
Today’s conventional pet foods are lower in protein and high in carbohydrates (40-50%). As carbohydrates are not part of the natural diet, it should come as no surprise that carbohydrates are not required (in any amount) by dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are evolved to derive their energy from animal proteins and fats, not carbohydrates from grains. Our ORIJEN diets are as close to a natural diet as we can make them.
Want more information? Please see our White Paper, pages 26, 27 – Protein myths.
Or check the “Myths of High Protein” study published by the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine. (both papers are on our website at http://www.championpetfoods.com/library/)
Protein is not responsible for growth concerns, even though is does help to develop a lean muscle mass. It is usually the fat and calorie content, and overfeeding that is responsible for excess weight gain, which could cause a rapid growth spurt and cause hip and joint problems down the road.
With our Large Breed Puppy diet, we formulate the fat and calorie content and calcium and phosphorus levels specifically for the needs of growing large breed puppies . I would recommend starting with this diet for your English Bulldog.
I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to write back to me.
Have a fantastic day,)

Angela
Customer Care
Champion Petfoods LP

Toll Free 877-939-0006

11403 - 186 Street | Edmonton, AB, Canada | T5S 2W6
championpetfoods.com

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Wow, thanks for following up with them. This debate has often come up on the raw diet forums also. Everyone who supports raw concluded that it's not the amount, but rather the source. At least that's the gist of it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed raw, and also hardly any veggies and still the absolut protein content of it is somewhere in the 20% range. Most of raw meat is moisture. A lot of people think that it means 100% protein! Hardly any meat has more than 20% protein. With puppys fed raw or kibble it's the calcium and phosphorus levels that are important for joint health. Raw fed puppys also grow more slow, cause there's no calories from unnecessary carbs.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Thanks for sharing.... Schultz didn't start on Origen buts been on it for a couple of years now and is doing well ...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the info... It would be interesting to ask some of the other high quality dog food companies the exact same question and compare responses.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good Gawd but I love this forum!!!! Thanks for posting guys. This kind of useful information shared is just one of the many reasons EBN is a rockin' place to be!

cathryn

Mar 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank You for sharing this! My little Lady Izzy is also on Orijen Puppy. She is 7 months and we have just started adding a bit of the orijen 6 fish adult formula for a slow tranisition. I am a big fan of Orijen.. we mix a teaspoon of pumpkin as well for a little fiber.. helps things on the other end:meeting:

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
we use orijen and ivy and ollie always have been healthy throughout their almost 3 years of life. their coats are shiny and their :poo: is solid.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
we use orijen and ivy and ollie always have been healthy throughout their almost 3 years of life. their coats are shiny and their :poo: is solid.

Hi,

Question to you was their :poo: always solid? Were now finished the first small bag and Bongos :poo: is OK soft serve. The Orijen people told me this is normal and will take him a little more that 1 bag for his stomach to get used to the richness then he should be ok. What was your experience?

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Thank You for sharing this! My little Lady Izzy is also on Orijen Puppy. She is 7 months and we have just started adding a bit of the orijen 6 fish adult formula for a slow tranisition. I am a big fan of Orijen.. we mix a teaspoon of pumpkin as well for a little fiber.. helps things on the other end:meeting:

How long have you been giving pumpkin and how often? WE give it to Bongo and it helps to solid up his :poo: he's 14 weeks. What has been your experience and is there such a thing as too much pumkin?

cathryn

Mar 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
We do pumpkin with Lunch and Dinner feedings everyday.. We give a teaspoon and mix it in well(the things we do for love) We started doing it about 14 weeks and Izzy is now 7 months. Im not sure if there is such a thing as to much pumpkin but the amount we give works like a charm. Izzy has perfect poops.....
I

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online