Slurry feeding? Ingredients, how-to, tips, etc?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
There is a possibility that at least for a little while Aubrey will have to have a slurry diet until her intestines heal properly. Hopefully she can transition to some form of a soft diet that is not as extreme as she gets better, but right now the vet is feeding her via slurry.

Does anyone have any experience with feeding slurry? I only have a vague idea of what it is and am looking to be more knowledgeable before we get to bring her home. I know the vet will explain these things when she is discharged, but I would rather have a better idea so I can make sure I don't have any questions.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
The slurry just means thin or watered down. Slurry is just the constancy. It could be made in a blender or food processor and then lapped up. or maybe he wants you to feed the slurry slowly, with a spoon or plastic syringe feeder.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ah, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ah, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thank you!

Yeah, your vet may advise you to mix canned food or regular food or anything for that matter with pedialite or water or maybe even condensed milk to a slurry consistency. Be sure to ask the vet for lots of instructions. and
I hope everything works well for your and Aubrey. Please keep me updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is a possibility that at least for a little while Aubrey will have to have a slurry diet until her intestines heal properly. Hopefully she can transition to some form of a soft diet that is not as extreme as she gets better, but right now the vet is feeding her via slurry.

Does anyone have any experience with feeding slurry? I only have a vague idea of what it is and am looking to be more knowledgeable before we get to bring her home. I know the vet will explain these things when she is discharged, but I would rather have a better idea so I can make sure I don't have any questions.

How is Aubrey doing?

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Better! She's not home yet and there are still some things that need to improve, but she is doing much better. There are some things that will just take time with the surgeries she went through, but she is improving day by day. Just hoping it stays that way! Tomorrow is day 7 post-op, which is the longest time it could take for intestines to heal, so hopefully its still good news then.

And we won't have to do the slurry! Just wet food so her pancreatic enzymes can be mixed... with everything she eats. A small price to pay for all she went through. *Fingers crossed it stays on this track* :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama

Better! She's not home yet and there are still some things that need to improve, but she is doing much better. There are some things that will just take time with the surgeries she went through, but she is improving day by day. Just hoping it stays that way! Tomorrow is day 7 post-op, which is the longest time it could take for intestines to heal, so hopefully its still good news then.

And we won't have to do the slurry! Just wet food so her pancreatic enzymes can be mixed... with everything she eats. A small price to pay for all she went through. *Fingers crossed it stays on this track* :pray:

Great news... slowly but surely - keep us posted.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
So happy to hear she's heading down the right road....I feed my Schultz dehydrated raw, just thought I'd mention it because you'd be able to rehydrate it at various consistencies...

Members online

No members online now.