bullies won't eat food unless i wet it

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
my frenchie and EB have gotten into this thing where they won't eat their food unless i somehow wet it, at first i thought that it was because they were thirsty, so i started giving them water before their food and no luck. and i noticed they only eat it if i had just enough water to make it moist. I dont know if they're just being spoiled or what. Do you guys feed before you let them drink or the other way? any help will be appreciated.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
my frenchie and EB have gotten into this thing where they won't eat their food unless i somehow wet it, at first i thought that it was because they were thirsty, so i started giving them water before their food and no luck. and i noticed they only eat it if i had just enough water to make it moist. I dont know if they're just being spoiled or what. Do you guys feed before you let them drink or the other way? any help will be appreciated.

Are their teeth ok? Have a look around to make sure nothing is impacted or infected. Once you rule this out then you'll know, yes, they are spoiled :p

I don't see the harm in wetting the food. I guess their teeth won't be as clean. But if you really don't want to continue adding water, take the food away and bring it back next feeding. Eventually they will eat.

OP
lilythebully

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
i doubt there's anything wrong with her teeth since she seems to eat treats well, which have been taken away for the meantime

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I know mine are spoiled because if they don't want to eat their food out of their bowls, they will eat it willingly from my hands.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Bulldogs are smarter than most people think. You are a bulldog owner in training. In your case it is you being trained. I agree with everyone else. They will eventually eat it. Gotta love them for trying.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
One more thought. Rudy will readily eat his food with a little cottage cheese on top (1 TBSP). Not that he wouldn't eat anything put in a bowl. It is something we learned from his breeder to keep his coat really soft and healthy. Once a bulldog starts eating they won't stop until they hit bottom.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I wet Kains food all the time, when he was only 10 weeks he ate too fast and would choke himself, we wet it since then now it seems wrong if I don't wet it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Gracie has her water out all the time.....she always has even when she was a little puppy. She gets plain yogurt on the top of her kibble when she eats her supper.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm thinking before the last stages of starvation set in...they WILL eat that nasty bone dry kibble! :laugh:
hahahaha

Mine have never had bone dry kibble. I make a warm gravy out of Wellness canned food and mix it in to their kibble. Yeah. I'm trained.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry -- no help here as my two will eat anything that is not nailed down and has the right smell. But, I agree with the other advice... they will eat eventually, you are being trained by them :D

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
When I first got Watson he was free fed and food was available to him at all times at the breeder's place, I was determined to have him feed on a schedule of twice a day. The first 3-4 days he wouldn't eat when I fed him so I just took the bowl away after 10 minutes or so. He learned quickly after that that if he didn't eat, he would have to starve until the next feeding. Now he wolfs down his food everytime.

OP
lilythebully

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
thanks for the advice/comments, i just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything wrong with wetting their food. i guess im going to try adding yogurt and see how that goes.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i wouldnt like to eat dry food day in day out lol,so our dogs are the same ,kibble is prety boring,same shape,texture,taste,smell try a bit of variety and some raw meat now and again it wont hurt your dog but may put them off kibble for ever lol,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.