Food Problems or Stomach problems

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Hope you find a food that will work for Norman soon!! You have received excellent advice from everyone!! My baby Zeus had Coccidiosis and was treated for 10 days with Albon. He then went back for a recheck and was negative. My Yorkie had it as well when we go him; however, his was much more severe. He had to be treated for three weeks and has been negative since. He is now 4 years old with no recurrences.

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
@ Wheezer...that is good to know, my vet made it sound much worse.
I am going to take another sample to the vets today. Just not sure how to get it since it's all diarrhea...YUCK...
I also ordered FROMM Beef so hopefully this will help!!

Thanks

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Have you added any canned pumpkin to your bullie's food to help with the runs????? I'd add a tablespoon to every serving starting immediately.

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
No but I am going to stop at the store after work. I went last night to get him some green beans and forgot the pumpkin.

C

Cooper11

No but I am going to stop at the store after work. I went last night to get him some green beans and forgot the pumpkin.

Did you get a fecal test done today!!!???? Did you scoop it up with a spoon like a nice yummy ice cream :poo: treat!!! :) Just curious to know if the test was negative or positive. You will be very happy with the fromm....both my dogs love it but I am not sure if Coop can stay on it do to his allergy results :(

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Yuck...that's gross...no i did not get the poop there...he poop on Friday. He actually seems to be getting better. I did get the pumpkin. I will get the sample the sometime this week. What were his results?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] hey Snookie!!! :) kkmk407 was worried and questioning if Norm is a pure EB.... I told her I wold tag you... I saw you have already commented about her question on this post! :) But I think her bully looks a lot like Bru!!! She said he has longer legs and a longer nose, i told her your brutus had longer legs too. She also said she thought EB's were lazy lol :blink: well I know Brutus isn't and i told her i think she may just have Bru's twin with looks and hyperness!!! Norm just has a little more white on his face then Bru!!! Thought I would tag you so you can write to her. She wrote on my wall so I wrote her back and told her I would tell you about her and you would chime in!!! Miss Snooki!!! You were gone today :(
y Snooki!!!

Brutus is 100% English Bulldog! Mother and father are purbred! I seen them both! We went to a reputable breeder! He doesn't have long legs! He does have a longer nose but not by much! I am happy about that less breathing issues! All bullies are different the way the look but it doesn't mean they aren't purebred

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.700105,-74.275604

C

Cooper11

Brutus is 100% English Bulldog! Mother and father are purbred! I seen them both! We went to a reputable breeder! He doesn't have long legs! He does have a longer nose but not by much! I am happy about that less breathing issues! All bullies are different the way the look but it doesn't mean they aren't purebred

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.700105,-74.275604

O wow snook!! I was NOT saying Brutus wasn't a purebred... I think you misunderstood me. I was telling her that every bully is different in looks and personality. I told her Brutus was hyper just like Norm. I just think they have similiar faces too... I remembered you had said people always asked you if he was a boxer is way I mentioned you to tell her they all look different. And I told you my friend had a bully that everyone thought was a boxer when he was a puppy too.... Did Not mean he wasn't pure bred! :eek: sorry if you took that the wrong way!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Handsome boy is 9 months today. What age should i do the allergy testing? Do i need to wait till a year?

I have to get a picture up of him....I personally think he is not 100% EB but my husband gets mad when i say that. I think he doesn't like the idea of us being lied to. Doesn't matter either way we love him and want him to feel better. Plus it would be nice not to have to wipe his bum everytimes he goes to the bathroom.

In looking at the pics you have in the album... he looks like an EB to me. What makes you think he may not be purebred? When we first got Banks some thought she was a mix breed because her head is on the smaller side and her legs are longer than what is considered normal.

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
@2BullyMama...i think cuz his nose and legs are longer than the bullies you usually see. I really didn't think much of it until we started taking him places and everyone asks what he is mixed with.

Last edited:

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i say ignore those people. He is a cutie and looks like a good bulldog to me. Once I was asked if my dog was mixed with a shar-pei because of his wrinkles...go figure.

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Thanks and he is a good boy..He is so funny. My little pug (smella) rules the house. It is so funny to watch Norm Back down from her when she growls. He is kind of a big dummy which makes him ever more lovable.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this discussion about puppy food, because I have been myself wondering for a while about the food we are giving our 9month old. His breeder is a true believer of the the BARF diet, son until he came to our family he only had raw food and a little kibble that the breeder gave him and his siblings every now and then I guess to get them used to the taste. At the age of 8weeks when we got him I think the transition we made was too fast and he got really bad black diarrhea that lasted about 2 weeks. Although we were also "BARFing" him but I think the different types of meat, added to the stress of leaving his first family really affected him. After that he poked his eye and he had to have surgery so he was eating cooked chicken with cooked rice and a little carrot for about 3 or 4 days. SO after such a rocky start we finally decided that kibble was our best way to go, because he is our first bully and we were really worried that he was not getting enough nutrients from the raw diet, since we are not experts on it. We first started him on Real Nature for Large breeds. He did well for a while but he seemed really skinny and had really bad tear stains. So about 3 months ago we changed him to Orijen puppy large. He definetely loves it more than the other food, and I also like the way it smells and that he seems to be excited about eating time, BUT he has soft stools almost all the time, gas, and really bad diarrhea at least once a week. I've read that it could be caused by the fact that it has too much protein. I'm really puzzled here. He really loves his Orijen, already tried to make him try eukanuba, royal canine, and canine cavier but he wont even try to chew them, he just spits it out and wont even show a little interest (biig waste of money on all those experiments). Not sure what to do or which other food to try. If someone could give me a hint I would really appreciate it. I would love to keep him in Orijen but I'm not sure how bad for him soft stools on the long run are. Any advice? Ohh and the tear stains have gotten better but they STILL are big part of his little face.
Also he has been loosing a lot of hair, but I actually blame some dried meat (rabbit ears and cow stomachs) that we have been giving him as treats...

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this discussion about puppy food, because I have been myself wondering for a while about the food we are giving our 9month old. His breeder is a true believer of the the BARF diet, son until he came to our family he only had raw food and a little kibble that the breeder gave him and his siblings every now and then I guess to get them used to the taste. At the age of 8weeks when we got him I think the transition we made was too fast and he got really bad black diarrhea that lasted about 2 weeks. Although we were also "BARFing" him but I think the different types of meat, added to the stress of leaving his first family really affected him. After that he poked his eye and he had to have surgery so he was eating cooked chicken with cooked rice and a little carrot for about 3 or 4 days. SO after such a rocky start we finally decided that kibble was our best way to go, because he is our first bully and we were really worried that he was not getting enough nutrients from the raw diet, since we are not experts on it. We first started him on Real Nature for Large breeds. He did well for a while but he seemed really skinny and had really bad tear stains. So about 3 months ago we changed him to Orijen puppy large. He definetely loves it more than the other food, and I also like the way it smells and that he seems to be excited about eating time, BUT he has soft stools almost all the time, gas, and really bad diarrhea at least once a week. I've read that it could be caused by the fact that it has too much protein. I'm really puzzled here. He really loves his Orijen, already tried to make him try eukanuba, royal canine, and canine cavier but he wont even try to chew them, he just spits it out and wont even show a little interest (biig waste of money on all those experiments). Not sure what to do or which other food to try. If someone could give me a hint I would really appreciate it. I would love to keep him in Orijen but I'm not sure how bad for him soft stools on the long run are. Any advice? Ohh and the tear stains have gotten better but they STILL are big part of his little face.
Also he has been loosing a lot of hair, but I actually blame some dried meat (rabbit ears and cow stomachs) that we have been giving him as treats...

Every bully is different and what works for one may not for another, however... there are some bad ones out there that will just make life tought and vet bills high. have you read the recommended ffod list under the nutrition section?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.