Food Problems or Stomach problems

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Hello

I stumbled upon your site while I am trying to find a new food for my puppy. Everyone on here seems very nice and informative so I thought I would give it a try. I am worried about my puppy. He is my first bulldog.

My Bulldog, Norman is 9 months old. I feed him Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. I would like to switch him. Off and on he keeps having bouts of diarrhea. I am not sure if he has a bad belly but I thought it couldn't hurt to get him on a better food.

After I purchased him we found out he had coccidiosis. He has been treated for it and we do everything we can to prevent a recurrence. The problem is I am not sure if his diarrhea is stomach problems or the coccidiosis.

The only other thing I have noticed is he has terrible dandruff. He has had it since we got him. I tried Fish pills with no luck. Maybe the food change will help.

I welcome any suggestions anyone has.

Thank You

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Welcome! So glad you joined! As far as the food I would definatley do a switch. Their are alot of good foods out their. What works for some doesn't work for all! I love Fromm others like Earthborn and so on! I would go to the vet and have his pop tested for parasites or anything! Then start a slow food switch the current food he is on could be causing the dandruff as some bullies have allergies. The main things people talk about are chicken and grains! Their is a nutrition forum for food reccomendations. Check that out it's got all you need! Hope all
Goes well! Others will be by shortly to give you more advice! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659049,-74.233416

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Thanks..I know the stool sample will always show positive since he has had it once. At least that is what the vet said. I am just worried about him. I work during the day and he is in his crate. I would love to let him out but he has not been the easist to house train.

He is still running around like crazy playing with our other dog. I guess that is a good sign :)

Keri

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Thanks..I know the stool sample will always show positive since he has had it once. At least that is what the vet said. I am just worried about him. I work during the day and he is in his crate. I would love to let him out but he has not been the easist to house train.

He is still running around like crazy playing with our other dog. I guess that is a good sign :)

Keri

Hi, welcome to the forum!!

I just got a new Bully as well (she's my 2nd) and I'm having some issues with her diet. She had bad diarrhea, and horrible gas. She also has bad yeast problems. One thing that she does that can cause diarrhea is gulping food. It causes a horrible condition known as bloat, is not fun for the dog or you. So, if you notice her eating really fast get a slow feed bowl. A lot of people don't know that this is a big deal, but trust me it is! Once I got her the slow feed bowl, her diarrhea went away within a few days.

Diet can easily cause diarrhea too though. Lilly's stomach doesn't seem to get along with chicken, and I found out Chicken isn't always a good option for Bullies. They have super sensitive stomachs, and you need to be careful what you feed them because it might not agree. I just switched over the weekend to Nutrisca Lamb Chickpea Kibble. It's a relatively new kibble, but is made in America, and considered a premium dog food. I was a little leery that it was so new(and pricey), but I needed something very simple. A lot (not all) of bullies are also allergic to root vegetables, and grains, so I opted for a potato/grain free food. Sweet potato is often ok and a lot better then a normal potato but I take no chances. When your dog is itching and if you see yeast build up, it is good to switch them to a simple food with less ingredients because you have a less chance of it causing them issues. But I can tell you that her gas is almost completely gone, and her stools are starting to look a lot better. At first they seemed dry, but they seem to be looking like normal stools now. Also a lot less smelly. Were hoping her allergies will soon subside after the transition is complete. Good luck, but definitely look into Nutrisca if you its available to you. I've always believed that less is usually more, and when it comes to dog food I'm becoming a firm believer that is the case.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
We just switched from Wellness to Orijen large breed puppies Bongo is 12 weeks old and he loves it. It has 38% protein but low calcium and phosphorus levels which I think is great for Bulldogs and there growth. It 6 Starr and made in Canada but you can get it most everywhere.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Welcome....I have Gracie on Fromm puppy food. When this is gone, I'm putting her on Fromm Four Star. Gracie is 8 months old. She had lots of diarrhea when I first got her and now it's nice and firm.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome! Allow me to summon a food expert for you.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

OK. Now that we've done that, you'll learn that Purina is garbage and you're smart to change foods to something quality. As for the dandruff, my first bulldog had horrible skin problems - itchy, dandruffy - and changing to a quality food might just solve that. If I knew then, what I know now, I would bet my itchy bulldog would have suffered NO issues with just a food change. I'm certain of it. Read the back of that label on the Purina. It's horrifying.

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Thanks...I WILL be changing the poor guys food to something better. He does a bad dandruff but it does not seem to bother him. He is not itchy at all.

I am trying to decide if i should get him another treatment for the coccidiosis or just change the food. I don't want to do both at the same time. He is eating the bland diet of chicken and rice (people food) right now but that is not helping.

I was either thinking of switching him to the Fromm or Natures Variety Instict Salmon. As far as i know he does not seem to have any allergies. But I have heard Salmon is good for them anyway??

I don't care for my vets either. I wish i could find a Bulldog vet in my area. Well just a caring vet becasue i have a pug also.

Thanks again everyone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks...I WILL be changing the poor guys food to something better. He does a bad dandruff but it does not seem to bother him. He is not itchy at all.

I am trying to decide if i should get him another treatment for the coccidiosis or just change the food. I don't want to do both at the same time. He is eating the bland diet of chicken and rice (people food) right now but that is not helping.

I was either thinking of switching him to the Fromm or Natures Variety Instict Salmon. As far as i know he does not seem to have any allergies. But I have heard Salmon is good for them anyway??

I don't care for my vets either. I wish i could find a Bulldog vet in my area. Well just a caring vet becasue i have a pug also.

Thanks again everyone

Hello and welcome to the site!

All you are talking about (except the coccidiosis) my poor Nitschke went through for almost 1 1/2 years due to not having the knowledge I have now. He was on Purina Pro Plan and had all the issues you stated (dandruff, runny poo, throwing up).... tests and bland diet (chicken and rice).... nothing seemed to help. Finally, we did a full blood screen allergy test.... he was HIGHLY allergic to RICE! Who'd of thought. We switch his food to no grain and presto -- within a couple weeks he was brand new!

Get the allergy test done and switch the food to no grain and possibly chicken free too, as many bullies have issue with chicken.

Good luck and keep us posted

OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
My Handsome boy is 9 months today. What age should i do the allergy testing? Do i need to wait till a year?

I have to get a picture up of him....I personally think he is not 100% EB but my husband gets mad when i say that. I think he doesn't like the idea of us being lied to. Doesn't matter either way we love him and want him to feel better. Plus it would be nice not to have to wipe his bum everytimes he goes to the bathroom.

Last edited:
C

Cooper11

Thanks again everyone

:) Yes I would say a good food change would help the little guy out...also what are you bathing him with??? And how often? I never heard of that once they have the coccidiosis that it will also show up in the fecal test?? But I could be wrong? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

It is hard to find a good vet but don't give up! If you are not happy you need to move on to the next. Cooper and Gracie [MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] (siblings) and we are on our 3rd and final vet. 3rd time is a charm!!! Finally happy with a vet that we can trust with our bullies! Maybe ask around if you know any other EB owners or if you breeder is close to you in location ask what breeder they use. I also think there is something on EBN that will suggest vets in your area?

I had problem with my Cooper. He was throwing up for over a month before I figured out what was wrong...I had him on the bland diet, chicken or beef and rice, then the canned prescription crap the vet gave me, and he would do good for a day or 2 then start the throwing up again. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has health issues with her baby and suggested a veggie diet for Cooper. Boiling a bunch of veggies together and the mushing it all up and feeding it to him. After just a couple days on the veggies I noticed BIG changes: No red face, no throwing up, no eye boogers, and he just looked healthier all together. When she suggested the veggies I also Order the 4 star Fromm Beef fritatta and got it in a week or so and transistioned him and he is doing great. I believe he has a grain allergy and that was why the bland food was making him sick, along with the canned food, and his old dog food....they all had grain in them. He is doing great now. Minus the allergies (environmental) I just got an allergy test done last week just waiting for the result.

Is your pup gaining weight okay with having loose stools. I think if you switch to a better food and get the allergy test done it will give you some answers. I wish i would have gotten it done in the first place after spending over 1300 in less than a month of vet test that showed me nothing! Ebn is a great place and everyone here knows their stuff.

He may not seem to have allergies??? I didn't think Cooper really did either. he was perfect until he hit 6 months and that was when the throwing up began...if he is itching, licking his paws, eye boogers, pink anywhere, how does in between his toes look?....these are all sign of allergies. Most bulldogs have allergies some just worst then others...and he may have an allergy to something in the food that is causing the loose stools. I only say this because I was skeptical about allergies and the food making a big difference and I wish I would have listened to everyone on here in the first place.....it would have saved me time, money, and cooper would have been healthy a lot sooner. Does your pup have tears stains or watery eyes??? Do you have a pic of your pup you can show us???

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sorry if I missed your intro post so I'l say :welcome: here.. This site's purpose is to help each other have a happy life with a very special kind of 'dog'. What you are asking about is not uncommon but everyone has there opinion as to what is the best food. What Really is the best food is the one that works best for your bully. It may take some trial and error to find it but finding the proper food for your bully is probably the most important thing you can do for him/her. Changing their food must be done slowly.Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding. Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn a few weeks ago and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.Now for the dandruff..... We use Selsun Blue and it works great for Princess Gracie. Because we don't particularly like the smell of the Selsun Blue we give her a second wash with Oster oatmeal dog shampoo that smells much better. No flakes!

One other little matter:

:pics:

Last edited:
OP
kkmk407

kkmk407

Apr 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
I will try to put a pic up tonight when I get home from work. I have to read the site on how to do it.

[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION]..he does not have tear stains. His eyes were very watery when we got him but they have gotten better. IDK..but i give him the filtered tap water.

I live in Pittsburgh and i had a hard time finding a EB here. I went to WV to get Norman. I have friends that have Bulldogs but they live a good 50 mins from me. I would like my vet somewhat close becasue i worry if i have problem i want to be able to get there quick.

I love this site...i feel better already. :)

C

Cooper11

I will try to put a pic up tonight when I get home from work. I have to read the site on how to do it.

@Cooper11..he does not have tear stains. His eyes were very watery when we got him but they have gotten better. IDK..but i give him the filtered tap water.

I live in Pittsburgh and i had a hard time finding a EB here. I went to WV to get Norman. I have friends that have Bulldogs but they live a good 50 mins from me. I would like my vet somewhat close becasue i worry if i have problem i want to be able to get there quick.

I love this site...i feel better already. :)
:) I was very skeptical when everyone on here told me the tear stains are from allergies and just by finding the right food helps so much. Cooper had Tear stain and on one eye they were worse than the other.....I have some pics posted on here I will have to tag you in them. Cooper got tear stains around 4 months and at 7 months when we were finding the right food for the throwing up and what not he now has NO tears stains.... :)

And @BruceP is totally right what food works for one bully may not work for you. it is a trial and error process and does take some time and gets frustrating..you have to give the food time to work and see if it helps and then when it doesn't you go back to the transitioning and the waiting game!!! It gets better I promise! :)

So you will be surprised when you find the right food and your bully gets looking as good as he should!

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] hey Snookie!!! :) kkmk407 was worried and questioning if Norm is a pure EB.... I told her I wold tag you... I saw you have already commented about her question on this post! :) But I think her bully looks a lot like Bru!!! She said he has longer legs and a longer nose, i told her your brutus had longer legs too. She also said she thought EB's were lazy lol :blink: well I know Brutus isn't and i told her i think she may just have Bru's twin with looks and hyperness!!! Norm just has a little more white on his face then Bru!!! Thought I would tag you so you can write to her. She wrote on my wall so I wrote her back and told her I would tell you about her and you would chime in!!! Miss Snooki!!! You were gone today :(
y Snooki!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.