soft stools

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
i switched Lula from eukanuba to acana wild prairie about a month and a half ago, her stools are formed but soft. is it acana or is it how much i've been feeding her?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try cutting back on the amount just a little to see if that helps. may just be too much food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] stated.... could be too much food. How much are you feeding at meal time?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - Isn't Acana really high protein for a bulldog?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
naw not really its 33%. i would try cutting back on the amount. acana is very good food so you should not have to feed near as much as eukanuba. lets us know how its going.

OP
L

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
thanks y'all. i usually feed her a cup and a half twice a day i'll try cutting it back. i'll update

OP
L

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
she's still a puppy 16 months, i'm wondering if acana has too much protein for a puppy. her stools are they same, even had diarhea last week so i fed her pumpkin. i'm worried, she looks like she's losing weight. thinking about buying the new acana with grains and mixing it with her food, maybe that will help her stool. i've been giving her a cup twice a day.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4282]LulasxMom[/MENTION] well no it should not be to much for 16 months old dog but if there is something in there not agreeing with your dog then yes. if its been a while and still diarrhea and weight loss then yes id look for something else to mix in and change over. i didnt think you could get acana with grains here. last time i checked they dont sell nothing but the grain free here something about usa not allowing milk thistle in their food and acana not wanting to change the formula. might be different now. if not there are other foods. i can help you when the time comes.

OP
L

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] yeah, i went to a local pet shop today where i usually buy her food and told the person working there her situation and i guess acana has a new flavor that has grains or something and he suggested i try mixing it with her food. it's not much of diahrea but semi soft stools. but thank you! i'm going to try to mix the acana and see what happens, i'll let you know what it works out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Soft stools can also be a sign of a parasite. If she is losing weight I would take her to the vet and bring a stool sample with you. She could have worms, coccidia or giardia.... All common in puppies.

OP
L

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
thanks, if things don't improve by changing her food by the next few days i will do that. i took her to the vet to get spayed a month ago and the vet told me she scaled a 3 and that she is in perfec condition but by eye balling it, she looks like she's lost some weight :\

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They do lose a lot of their baby fat as they grow, so hopefully that is all it is.

OP
L

LulasxMom

Feb 11, 2012
bakersfield, ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
her stool is hard and firm at this point, the hardest it's been since she's switched so that is good. but she still does look a little thin to me. hope fully you are right about puppies loosing weight, thank you! i'll monitor it more and hopefully things get better

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.