Heat influence food intake? Or not?

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Boo's 8 months now, and lately he's not eating as much as he used to..

I used to feed him at 8 in the morning and he would wake up and eat his food happily, now he's too lazy to get up. I have to lure him into eating using cheese in his food.

In the afternoon, boo usually have his dinner at 6, he could eat em all without cheese. Its the morning feeding im worried about. He would leave leftovers, some time almost a quarter to half the portion, while i didnt change the amount of the food he's eating.

He's also become lazier? Is there anyone else with the same problem?
He would be asleep most most of the time i came home from campus, and he would not greet me like he used to. He would just lie there and watch me approach him. If he happen to be awake, then he would be happy enough to greet me. He used to jump from his bed and run towards me when he sees me. I wonder if he's just plain lazy, or there's something wrong with his health?

The doctor said that the incredible heat these days are probably have something to do with him being sleepy all day. I put the air con on at the second floor when i leave him at home but he always prefer to stay on the firt floor. So i put the fan on downstairs.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I can understand your concern, but the vet said he was ok, right? Could be the heat I suppose. Is there another vet in your area you could take him to?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The heat will have an impact on him...... if you only have air conditioner upstairs, get a baby gate or something to block the stairs so he stays in the control environment. See if that make a difference

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yeah I would see if a cooler environment for him changed anything. Then at least you will know if it is heat or not. We have never lived in horrible heat, but we used to live in a place that got in the 90s consistently over the summer and we didn't have air conditioning. We had fans and would keep Frank wet on his chest and had a cooling mat for him. But even so, the heat would make him very lazy and he wouldn't eat as much, just drink a lot of water.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would think the heat could do that and using a gate to keep in the ac would be a good idea!! Do you trust the current vet?? I think maybe a second opionion just to be safe would be a good idea! Hope all goes well...

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Yes, i'm pretty content with his vet.

I do put a baby cage so he cant go downstairs since i also sleeps upstairs, but he managed to open it everytime.

I'll try to block it with a chair or something so he wont go down.

Thanks

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.