Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
i clicked on order now and all i can find is it comes in 5oz and 14oz. let me see if petco says.

I just called the store and she said it seems like one bag is enough for probably a whole day, and that's a 14oz!! I ain't spending that kind of money...

I think I'm going with the Fromm, but I'm going to see what other potato free, grain free foods she has to offer. I also wrote down all the ones you guys told me about so we'll see what happens.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] well nvi is grain and potato free but has tapioca. they have 2 limited ingredient foods. earthborn meadow feast and nutri source has a lamb and chicken grain free with peas. also nutrisca has dry food 3 kinds.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
We went wit the Nutrisca Lamb Chick Pea kibble. She LOVES it!! And I LOVE how short the ingredient list is!! Seems like a really great simple food. The woman at the store seemed to have nothing but good experiences from all her clients. Fingers crossed!

I know it might be too soon, but she's totally less gassy. She's normally cracking one off every hour on the hour, sometimes with more frequency. And the smell is a 10 out of 10...But I think she might have farted once last night, and it didn't stink like it normally does!

We also got some low fat plain yogurt that we mix her food with now too. Really, really excited to see her come around! So impressed with it already, and it's only been one day!! Gotta love a stink free apartment! Thanks for all your advice!! I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great progress already! Less farts is a great sign!!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
UPDATE:

Lilly has been doing pretty good on this food so far, still no gas, but I have noticed one thing that was a little weird. Her stools have been pretty hard. Not causing her pain, but still a little harder then what I think is normal. I'm happy her stools have hardened because they used to be kind of loose and sometimes runny. But now there a bit hard, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix that. I bought yogurt, but forgot it at my friends house because we brought her there a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to get more, but plan on it today. Would that help with the stools being hard?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
canned pumpkin. not pie filling but real canned pumpkin. also very hard stools would mean she needs more water in her diet. so try the pumpkin and if she gets better then stop the pumpkin and if they get hard again then get more water in her diet. prolly will straighten out in a few days with the pumpkin.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
canned pumpkin. not pie filling but real canned pumpkin. also very hard stools would mean she needs more water in her diet. so try the pumpkin and if she gets better then stop the pumpkin and if they get hard again then get more water in her diet. prolly will straighten out in a few days with the pumpkin.

Alright cool, I'll give that a go.

I wonder because it was hot here yesterday if maybe she got a little dehydrated. Could I just put water in her food to get more water in her too?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Alright cool, I'll give that a go.

I wonder because it was hot here yesterday if maybe she got a little dehydrated. Could I just put water in her food to get more water in her too?
lots of people add some water to it before feeding. there is a debate about citric acid in food and bloat but i cant find anything to support it so i dont know. her is one article about it and it was in the bloat article posted on gunnyboys threat about gunnys passing. so ill let you decide whether to or not. you can just give ice cubes or veggies that have lots of water content. up to you.
Q: I am concerned about the citric acid issue in dog kibble. I know it is a more natural preservative but I am not sure how true some of the info is about it causing bloat or any other problems Thank You.
A: Thanks for your question.
Unfortunately there is not an easy answer. Based on the current research information available, it is impossible to claim that citric acid in dog kibble is a risk factor for causing bloat. Gastric dilation / volvulus (bloat) is a complex disease with many causes / risk factors.
Some of the best bloat research done has been done by a veterinary team from Purdue University. Their recent research that implicated citric acid as a possible risk factor for bloat was not concrete. The diets that were associated with increased risk of bloat were those that contained citric acid and were PRE-MOISTENED by owners before they were fed to their dogs. Whether the citric acid or the pre-moistening of the food was responsible was not studied. It has long been suspected that wetting the food is an increased risk factor for bloat. *note: no study was done with diets containing citric acid that were NOT pre-moistened to determine the real risk factor of citric acid*
Other results of this study:
ā€¢ Confirmed an increased risk of GDV/bloat with increasing age
ā€¢ Increased risk of GDV in a dog with a first degree relative with GDV
ā€¢ Increased risk of GDV in dogs eating from raised food bowls
ā€¢ 2.7 fold increased risk of GDV in dogs that consumed dry foods containing fat among the first four ingredients
ā€¢ 4.2 fold increase in GDV in dogs that consumed dry foods containing citric acid that were also pre-moistened prior to feeding
ā€¢ Decreased incidence of GDV (53%) in dogs fed dry foods containing a rendered meat meal with bone among the first four ingredients

Hope this information helps.
Dr. Donna Spector

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
How much food do you guys suggest I feed her? Shes a small girl and only 30lbs or so, I've been feeding her 2 cups a day as she's pretty inactive at the moment due to her fear of the outdoors.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.