OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Phew...

This is a pain in the butt!!

So many people have success with so many different foods. I know every dog is different, so I gotta see what works for her.

BUT!!! I would like to know what the other people with yeast issues have used. I'm almost 100% sure its a yeast issue. She has the stains around her nose, smelly ears with discharge, and after looking into it and looking at pics it's just gotta be. Her farts stink, her poop stinks...There's gotta be something going on. I really don't want to take her to the vet because I'm a firm believer in natural medicine, and I feel that they often misdiagnose things like this, and do more harm then good. I don't want her on antibiotics until I try altering her diet. If that still does nothing I'm gonna have to bring her. I have confidence that she'll get better though once I change her food.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
it is difficult to find the right food, I am still searching for the best food for Watson but you should stay away from potatoes if yeast infection is an issue. currently we are settled on Nature's logic Beef which doesn't have potatoes but has millet. He is doing fine on it. His tears stains are still there and I can't get rid of it. you have to try several brands to see which one is compatible with your bulldog.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
it is difficult to find the right food, I am still searching for the best food for Watson but you should stay away from potatoes if yeast infection is an issue. currently we are settled on Nature's logic Beef which doesn't have potatoes but has millet. He is doing fine on it. His tears stains are still there and I can't get rid of it. you have to try several brands to see which one is compatible with your bulldog.

I love the name Watson!! He's a beaut'!

I agree, I think finding out what worked best for other peoples yeast problems is step one, and then trying those ones out until I find the best. Is there any other ingredients I should look out for when trying to avoid yeast problem?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I love the name Watson!! He's a beaut'!

I agree, I think finding out what worked best for other peoples yeast problems is step one, and then trying those ones out until I find the best. Is there any other ingredients I should look out for when trying to avoid yeast problem?

some people here say it is just white potatoes that you have to avoid and some say all potatoes so I don't really know. I say stay away from all potatoes if it is not clear.
some food without potatoes that members here feed include Earthborn holistic and Nature's variety instinct.

and Watson says thank you for the compliment

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
some people here say it is just white potatoes that you have to avoid and some say all potatoes so I don't really know. I say stay away from all potatoes if it is not clear.
some food without potatoes that members here feed include Earthborn holistic and Nature's variety instinct.

and Watson says thank you for the compliment

Thanks for the info Watson! I was unsure about the sweet potatoes. I heard they are much lower on the glycemic index, but I still feel weird allow ANY potatoes in her diet knowing it can cause problems. I'm gonna look for foods without any like you said, thanks again!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] I recommended Fromm 1st because I had my little girl on it. I haven't tried the nurtisca, but have a great puppy boutique close by that is very knowledgeable with bully breeds . We have been working on clearing up skin issues with Belly since the vet can't seem to figure it out. They recommended Nutrisca thinking maybe she has a root veggie allergy. We ultimately went the raw route with her and I know feeding raw isn't for everyone. Both brands are made in the USA :usa: and were listed in the Whole dog journal as a good company.

:hiya: [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] Surprised you remember me! I'm almost done training on my job so I thought I would stop back in. We are getting a new bully baby tomorrow!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@LiLlilly ok well nutrisca is good food ive used it before but it doesnt have pre and probiotics that alot of people want in their food. if thats not a problem then go for that one. i think a change very quickly is needed here and grains maybe the problem as it seems your bully is getting a yeast problem. earthborn meadow feast is also a good choice. . i think i would try something with limited ingredients to help narrow down whats causing the problem. also is your bully old enough to get allergy tested. that saves so much time and trouble of finding a food. sarah was on so many kibbles till i had her tested and now she is on canned food and freeze dried food as she is allergic to most kibble it seems. i think canned food is good for yeast. her yeast is going away nicely. canned food has very low carbs and little fillers. but is expensive. its a matter of what your bully is allergic to in the kibble or im coming to think environmental allergies can keep yeast going. if i can help you more just ask. let us know how its going.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] I recommended Fromm 1st because I had my little girl on it. I haven't tried the nurtisca, but have a great puppy boutique close by that is very knowledgeable with bully breeds . We have been working on clearing up skin issues with Belly since the vet can't seem to figure it out. They recommended Nutrisca thinking maybe she has a root veggie allergy. We ultimately went the raw route with her and I know feeding raw isn't for everyone. Both brands are made in the USA :usa: and were listed in the Whole dog journal as a good company.

:hiya: [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] Surprised you remember me! I'm almost done training on my job so I thought I would stop back in. We are getting a new bully baby tomorrow!

Oh my gosh a new bully? Please share pics. I Am awful with names and details of anything really, especially since having babies. LOL BUT I saw your avatar and it threw me. Nice to see some old schoolers too. Hope you stay a while. This place has gotten awful busy which is awesome.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Oh my gosh a new bully? Please share pics. I Am awful with names and details of anything really, especially since having babies. LOL BUT I saw your avatar and it threw me. Nice to see some old schoolers too. Hope you stay a while. This place has gotten awful busy which is awesome.

Haha! I've had her for about a little over a month actually. I moved out recently and I missed having my dog around, and my g.f didn't have a dog in a while. We by accidentally found Lilly on ebay! We are the 4th owner of her :[ She has some issues but nothing that can't be fixed with love, and attention. She's been doing awesome with us so far. When we first got her she was so afraid of going to the bathroom, and would lay down, pee, and just lay in it to hide it! She won't go to the bathroom outside, and hates going outside period. That's gonna be the hard part. She has some other quarks, but nothing major.

I also know there not considered a real breed, but she IS a mini bull! She's only 30 lbs! Tiny little thing, shes sooooo cute. I'll post some pics later in the other section for you guys :]

She has some itching issues with her paws & face, and she some yeast issues with her ears & face. We cleaned them good with a vinegar/water solution, and it seemed to help a lot. She's still itching but it's a lot less, and her ears don't smell as bad. So I believe the vinegar is helping, but the ultimate problem is something in the food...We'll get it figured out in no time though thanks to everyones help!

Last edited:
OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
@LiLlilly ok well nutrisca is good food ive used it before but it doesnt have pre and probiotics that alot of people want in their food. if thats not a problem then go for that one. i think a change very quickly is needed here and grains maybe the problem as it seems your bully is getting a yeast problem. earthborn meadow feast is also a good choice. . i think i would try something with limited ingredients to help narrow down whats causing the problem. also is your bully old enough to get allergy tested. that saves so much time and trouble of finding a food. sarah was on so many kibbles till i had her tested and now she is on canned food and freeze dried food as she is allergic to most kibble it seems. i think canned food is good for yeast. her yeast is going away nicely. canned food has very low carbs and little fillers. but is expensive. its a matter of what your bully is allergic to in the kibble or im coming to think environmental allergies can keep yeast going. if i can help you more just ask. let us know how its going.

How do they do an allergy test exactly? Whats involved? And she's a year old, I've never had to do that before so I have no idea how it works.

I think today were going to take a trip to get some new food, because I hate seeing her with any kind of ailment...What stinks, is we just bought her a new bag of food...I'm still undecided though lol. Could you just put some yogurt in the food to get the probiotics in their food? For some reason Nutrisca freeze dried is seeming like a nice simple food, and I love how its considered raw.

I'm just kind of confused by the packaging. The bags seems so small, and it looks like you would need to buy food every other day lol. http://nutrisca.dogswell.com/beefdinnerbites.html

No taters, and no grains! Seems like an awesome food. Short ingredient list too. If someone could just give me some instruction on how to feed it, and how long one of those bags last I'd appreciate it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] hm ok the freeze dried food. let me look it up. and yes alot of people give their dogs yogurt or the pills.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@LiLlilly ok here is what the webpage says
AS A COMPLETE MEAL FOR ADULT DOGS:
5 lb dog = 4 Dinner Bites per day
10 lb dog = 6.5 Dinner Bites per day
20 lb dog = 10.5 Dinner Bites per day
30 lb dog = 15 Dinner Bites per day
For Dogs Over 30 Pounds: Feed as a meal topper on dry or canned food.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
@LiLlilly ok here is what the webpage says
AS A COMPLETE MEAL FOR ADULT DOGS:
5 lb dog = 4 Dinner Bites per day
10 lb dog = 6.5 Dinner Bites per day
20 lb dog = 10.5 Dinner Bites per day
30 lb dog = 15 Dinner Bites per day
For Dogs Over 30 Pounds: Feed as a meal topper on dry or canned food.

I saw this, but was curious as to how many bites come in a pack. They seem so small...lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online