Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I've had Lilly for little over a month, and I'm still seeing some issues with her. When I got her she was on Welness small breed formula. She was really gassy, and bloated all the time. I was able to control the bloating by getting her a slow feed bowl, but she's still pretty gassy, and boy do they STINK. I've NEVER in my life smelled such horrible farts...And to me, they smell unhealthy. She also has that tear stain issue, as well as itchy paws, and itchy face sometimes. Her ears also can get really nasty, and the wax build up can be excessive. They also have a smell to them. It's not all the time, but I notice some days are worse then others. All these symptoms sound like a food allergy to me. We also switched her to Merricks Grammy's Pot Pie food the first week we got her and is what she is currently eating. I was told it was good for their sensitive stomach, but I'm still seeing issues. We DO give her milkbones as treats, which I think could be causing some gas too...

I would like to get her on a really simple kibble diet. She seems to be really sensitive, and I want something that is going to be nourishing and healthy for her. I feel bad because she's been dealing with it for a while I think, but we were the first to pick up on it. What do you suggest for a dog with these kind of allergies? I was looking at the Wellness Simple Food Solutions. I also looked at the Fromm, but I'm not sure if it would be a good choice for her. Any suggestions?

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I don't think that's wax in Lilly's ears it's probably yeast infection, my boy's ears were chronically infected, after a round of antibiotics to clear it up this last time I now give him antibiotic ear drops weekly. As for the food part I'll let someone who is an expert answer that one! :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I :heart: fromm. hardly any gas on it even. I am about to switch now cuz of miila being allergic to something although I think it is seasonal. Just trying to get her squared away but the boys have both done awesome on fromm grain free, no tear stains, gas or anything. You have to remember EVERYTHING they eat does affect them so yes giving milk bones is not good. Whatever food you pick maybe go with their brand of treats so it wont mess up her little tum tum. I buy assorted grain free treats when I buy their food at petflow.com. You will get much more help but really the gassiness comes from every little thing they eat.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and as for wax, Mugsy the pug gets wax in his ears alot and it is actually wax. He has always had it since we got him as a baby and I just wipe them out with baby wipes. It could be yeast or wax. My bullies have never had wax in their ears tho unless there was an infection.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I would also recommend Fromm grain free. If she still has issues with itching, you might want to try nutrisca. It's made with chick peas instead of potatoes. A lot of bullies are allergic to root vegetables. Get her ears tested to see if it's a yeast infection and when that is cleared up try putting some raw organic (Bragg's is a good brand) apple cider vinegar in her food. Start small like a teaspoon and gradually increase to a Tbs. in her food. Helps keep the ears free of yeast, clears up tear stains and as a bonus it makes their skin acidic and the fleas hate acidic environments.And get RID of the milkbones! The junk from the grocery store is horrible. Find grain free treats made in the US.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would try the FROMM puppy, and see how it goes.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Thanks for all the responses!

Nutrisca seems to be some quality stuff, and I actually found a place around here that carries it. I like how they don't use potato's and use chick peas/peas. Seems like a simple blend, and I've heard a lot of good things after doing some research. They also have a lot of great treats that I can replace the bones with. Seems promising, I think I'm going to give it a go.

But, I am curious to ask angelgirl, why did you recommend Fromm over the Nutrisca? Are there any drawbacks to using Nutrisca at all? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I am pretty new to these dog foods and premium dog foods in general. I just want to get the best possible nutrition I can get at this point. I really want to avoid the issues my dog Chester passed from. I'm certain is was his diet that did it, so I want to really take the time and find what works best for her.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] First of all look at this ... it was put together SPECIFICALLY for bulldogs ... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

You will find a lot of people on here using Fromm. I have never heard of Nutrisca so I can't comment on it and it doesn't appear in our ratings chart either.

Don't worry about not having a supplier for the food you finally decide to change to because you can use Petflow ... they are FANTASTIC ... and when you log on and set up a regular schedule the delivery is free of charge.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I'm flip flopping between Fromm, and Nutrisca to be honest. I think I might just go with the From just because so many of you suggested it. But I'm still some what undecided. Still doing some research...

Another thing I was wondering was what do you all think of wet food?

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Got my Fromm today, we just started switching out small portions over the course of the next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm flip flopping between Fromm, and Nutrisca to be honest. I think I might just go with the From just because so many of you suggested it. But I'm still some what undecided. Still doing some research...

Another thing I was wondering was what do you all think of wet food?

Also earthborn is really good too. That is what I am switching to right now to check itout. It is much cheaper than fromm and just as good. We will see how it goes... The pieces are bigger so could help with slowing Lilly down while eating too. I think you said you got a slow feed bowl for her already? (Forgive me if I am mistaken) I have never used or heard of nutrisca either so no help there. I have never fed wet food. Growing up we fed wet pedigree or whatever to our dogs and it was nasty, grossed me out. Now I know a good canned food is completely different than that was 30 years ago but the thought is just gone from my mind. So long as you get a good brand I would assume canned to be just as good as the dry. BUT once you spoil her on that you might never get the kibble back. ;)

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I just recently put Beefy on Fromm and he's doing great. No more stinky poo, no more stinky gas. Mommy is happy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm flip flopping between Fromm, and Nutrisca to be honest. I think I might just go with the From just because so many of you suggested it. But I'm still some what undecided. Still doing some research... Another thing I was wondering was what do you all think of wet food?

@cowsmom can give you some info on the difference between the two brands.

I feed Fromm Beef and Banks is doing well on it. If her ears have a smell to them --- it is not wax, it is from allergies and could be yeast

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
The foods I have had most success with in clearing up simliar issues that Samson has had is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet sweet potato & fish and Natures Variety Instinct salmon. Both have a pretty short ingredient list (especially Natural Balance, their LID formulas are real basic) so you are cutting out all the extra stuff that can be causing issues with allergies. The Natural Balance turned it all around for Samson when he was 1.5 yrs old and I was struggling to control his itching, constant paw licking, etc. Then 2.5 years later when he was 4 he got an ear infection that raged on for 6 months, nothing the vet prescribed would clear it up. Then I read here that potatoes can aid in the growth of yeast and yeast is one of the things that can cause ear infections. Nature's Variety, being potato free, helped clear up the ear infections within weeks. It was amazing! None of the Fromms ever worked for him and really he only does well on fish only based formulas.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.