Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Oh my gosh a new bully? Please share pics. I Am awful with names and details of anything really, especially since having babies. LOL BUT I saw your avatar and it threw me. Nice to see some old schoolers too. Hope you stay a while. This place has gotten awful busy which is awesome.
    Haha! I've had her for about a little over a month actually. I moved out recently and I missed having my dog around, and my g.f didn't have a dog in a while. We by accidentally found Lilly on ebay! We are the 4th owner of her :[ She has some issues but nothing that can't be fixed with love, and attention. She's been doing awesome with us so far. When we first got her she was so afraid of going to the bathroom, and would lay down, pee, and just lay in it to hide it! She won't go to the bathroom outside, and hates going outside period. That's gonna be the hard part. She has some other quarks, but nothing major.

I also know there not considered a real breed, but she IS a mini bull! She's only 30 lbs! Tiny little thing, shes sooooo cute. I'll post some pics later in the other section for you guys :]

She has some itching issues with her paws & face, and she some yeast issues with her ears & face. We cleaned them good with a vinegar/water solution, and it seemed to help a lot. She's still itching but it's a lot less, and her ears don't smell as bad. So I believe the vinegar is helping, but the ultimate problem is something in the food...We'll get it figured out in no time though thanks to everyones help!
    Last edited by LiLlilly; 04-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    @LiLlilly ok well nutrisca is good food ive used it before but it doesnt have pre and probiotics that alot of people want in their food. if thats not a problem then go for that one. i think a change very quickly is needed here and grains maybe the problem as it seems your bully is getting a yeast problem. earthborn meadow feast is also a good choice. . i think i would try something with limited ingredients to help narrow down whats causing the problem. also is your bully old enough to get allergy tested. that saves so much time and trouble of finding a food. sarah was on so many kibbles till i had her tested and now she is on canned food and freeze dried food as she is allergic to most kibble it seems. i think canned food is good for yeast. her yeast is going away nicely. canned food has very low carbs and little fillers. but is expensive. its a matter of what your bully is allergic to in the kibble or im coming to think environmental allergies can keep yeast going. if i can help you more just ask. let us know how its going.
    How do they do an allergy test exactly? Whats involved? And she's a year old, I've never had to do that before so I have no idea how it works.

I think today were going to take a trip to get some new food, because I hate seeing her with any kind of ailment...What stinks, is we just bought her a new bag of food...I'm still undecided though lol. Could you just put some yogurt in the food to get the probiotics in their food? For some reason Nutrisca freeze dried is seeming like a nice simple food, and I love how its considered raw.

I'm just kind of confused by the packaging. The bags seems so small, and it looks like you would need to buy food every other day lol. http://nutrisca.dogswell.com/beefdinnerbites.html

No taters, and no grains! Seems like an awesome food. Short ingredient list too. If someone could just give me some instruction on how to feed it, and how long one of those bags last I'd appreciate it.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly hm ok the freeze dried food. let me look it up. and yes alot of people give their dogs yogurt or the pills.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly ok here is what the webpage says
    AS A COMPLETE MEAL FOR ADULT DOGS:
    5 lb dog = 4 Dinner Bites per day
    10 lb dog = 6.5 Dinner Bites per day
    20 lb dog = 10.5 Dinner Bites per day
    30 lb dog = 15 Dinner Bites per day
    For Dogs Over 30 Pounds: Feed as a meal topper on dry or canned food.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly ok here is what the webpage says
    AS A COMPLETE MEAL FOR ADULT DOGS:
    5 lb dog = 4 Dinner Bites per day
    10 lb dog = 6.5 Dinner Bites per day
    20 lb dog = 10.5 Dinner Bites per day
    30 lb dog = 15 Dinner Bites per day
    For Dogs Over 30 Pounds: Feed as a meal topper on dry or canned food.
    I saw this, but was curious as to how many bites come in a pack. They seem so small...lol

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I saw this, but was curious as to how many bites come in a pack. They seem so small...lol
    i clicked on order now and all i can find is it comes in 5oz and 14oz. let me see if petco says.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

i clicked on order now and all i can find is it comes in 5oz and 14oz. let me see if petco says.
    I just called the store and she said it seems like one bag is enough for probably a whole day, and that's a 14oz!! I ain't spending that kind of money...

I think I'm going with the Fromm, but I'm going to see what other potato free, grain free foods she has to offer. I also wrote down all the ones you guys told me about so we'll see what happens.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly well nvi is grain and potato free but has tapioca. they have 2 limited ingredient foods. earthborn meadow feast and nutri source has a lamb and chicken grain free with peas. also nutrisca has dry food 3 kinds.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

We went wit the Nutrisca Lamb Chick Pea kibble. She LOVES it!! And I LOVE how short the ingredient list is!! Seems like a really great simple food. The woman at the store seemed to have nothing but good experiences from all her clients. Fingers crossed!

I know it might be too soon, but she's totally less gassy. She's normally cracking one off every hour on the hour, sometimes with more frequency. And the smell is a 10 out of 10...But I think she might have farted once last night, and it didn't stink like it normally does!

We also got some low fat plain yogurt that we mix her food with now too. Really, really excited to see her come around! So impressed with it already, and it's only been one day!! Gotta love a stink free apartment! Thanks for all your advice!! I'll keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by LiLlilly; 04-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great progress already! Less farts is a great sign!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Lilly has been doing pretty good on this food so far, still no gas, but I have noticed one thing that was a little weird. Her stools have been pretty hard. Not causing her pain, but still a little harder then what I think is normal. I'm happy her stools have hardened because they used to be kind of loose and sometimes runny. But now there a bit hard, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix that. I bought yogurt, but forgot it at my friends house because we brought her there a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to get more, but plan on it today. Would that help with the stools being hard?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

canned pumpkin. not pie filling but real canned pumpkin. also very hard stools would mean she needs more water in her diet. so try the pumpkin and if she gets better then stop the pumpkin and if they get hard again then get more water in her diet. prolly will straighten out in a few days with the pumpkin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads