Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to find the perfect food for Lilly

I just recently put Beefy on Fromm and he's doing great. No more stinky poo, no more stinky gas. Mommy is happy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I'm flip flopping between Fromm, and Nutrisca to be honest. I think I might just go with the From just because so many of you suggested it. But I'm still some what undecided. Still doing some research... Another thing I was wondering was what do you all think of wet food?
    @cowsmom can give you some info on the difference between the two brands.

I feed Fromm Beef and Banks is doing well on it. If her ears have a smell to them --- it is not wax, it is from allergies and could be yeast
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The foods I have had most success with in clearing up simliar issues that Samson has had is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet sweet potato & fish and Natures Variety Instinct salmon. Both have a pretty short ingredient list (especially Natural Balance, their LID formulas are real basic) so you are cutting out all the extra stuff that can be causing issues with allergies. The Natural Balance turned it all around for Samson when he was 1.5 yrs old and I was struggling to control his itching, constant paw licking, etc. Then 2.5 years later when he was 4 he got an ear infection that raged on for 6 months, nothing the vet prescribed would clear it up. Then I read here that potatoes can aid in the growth of yeast and yeast is one of the things that can cause ear infections. Nature's Variety, being potato free, helped clear up the ear infections within weeks. It was amazing! None of the Fromms ever worked for him and really he only does well on fish only based formulas.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Phew...

This is a pain in the butt!!

So many people have success with so many different foods. I know every dog is different, so I gotta see what works for her.

BUT!!! I would like to know what the other people with yeast issues have used. I'm almost 100% sure its a yeast issue. She has the stains around her nose, smelly ears with discharge, and after looking into it and looking at pics it's just gotta be. Her farts stink, her poop stinks...There's gotta be something going on. I really don't want to take her to the vet because I'm a firm believer in natural medicine, and I feel that they often misdiagnose things like this, and do more harm then good. I don't want her on antibiotics until I try altering her diet. If that still does nothing I'm gonna have to bring her. I have confidence that she'll get better though once I change her food.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

it is difficult to find the right food, I am still searching for the best food for Watson but you should stay away from potatoes if yeast infection is an issue. currently we are settled on Nature's logic Beef which doesn't have potatoes but has millet. He is doing fine on it. His tears stains are still there and I can't get rid of it. you have to try several brands to see which one is compatible with your bulldog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    it is difficult to find the right food, I am still searching for the best food for Watson but you should stay away from potatoes if yeast infection is an issue. currently we are settled on Nature's logic Beef which doesn't have potatoes but has millet. He is doing fine on it. His tears stains are still there and I can't get rid of it. you have to try several brands to see which one is compatible with your bulldog.
    I love the name Watson!! He's a beaut'!

I agree, I think finding out what worked best for other peoples yeast problems is step one, and then trying those ones out until I find the best. Is there any other ingredients I should look out for when trying to avoid yeast problem?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiLlilly View Post
    I love the name Watson!! He's a beaut'!

I agree, I think finding out what worked best for other peoples yeast problems is step one, and then trying those ones out until I find the best. Is there any other ingredients I should look out for when trying to avoid yeast problem?
    some people here say it is just white potatoes that you have to avoid and some say all potatoes so I don't really know. I say stay away from all potatoes if it is not clear.
    some food without potatoes that members here feed include Earthborn holistic and Nature's variety instinct.

and Watson says thank you for the compliment

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    some people here say it is just white potatoes that you have to avoid and some say all potatoes so I don't really know. I say stay away from all potatoes if it is not clear.
    some food without potatoes that members here feed include Earthborn holistic and Nature's variety instinct.

and Watson says thank you for the compliment
    Thanks for the info Watson! I was unsure about the sweet potatoes. I heard they are much lower on the glycemic index, but I still feel weird allow ANY potatoes in her diet knowing it can cause problems. I'm gonna look for foods without any like you said, thanks again!

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly I recommended Fromm 1st because I had my little girl on it. I haven't tried the nurtisca, but have a great puppy boutique close by that is very knowledgeable with bully breeds . We have been working on clearing up skin issues with Belly since the vet can't seem to figure it out. They recommended Nutrisca thinking maybe she has a root veggie allergy. We ultimately went the raw route with her and I know feeding raw isn't for everyone. Both brands are made in the USA and were listed in the Whole dog journal as a good company.

@cali~jenn Surprised you remember me! I'm almost done training on my job so I thought I would stop back in. We are getting a new bully baby tomorrow!
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@LiLlilly ok well nutrisca is good food ive used it before but it doesnt have pre and probiotics that alot of people want in their food. if thats not a problem then go for that one. i think a change very quickly is needed here and grains maybe the problem as it seems your bully is getting a yeast problem. earthborn meadow feast is also a good choice. . i think i would try something with limited ingredients to help narrow down whats causing the problem. also is your bully old enough to get allergy tested. that saves so much time and trouble of finding a food. sarah was on so many kibbles till i had her tested and now she is on canned food and freeze dried food as she is allergic to most kibble it seems. i think canned food is good for yeast. her yeast is going away nicely. canned food has very low carbs and little fillers. but is expensive. its a matter of what your bully is allergic to in the kibble or im coming to think environmental allergies can keep yeast going. if i can help you more just ask. let us know how its going.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 04-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Angelgirl View Post
    @LiLlilly I recommended Fromm 1st because I had my little girl on it. I haven't tried the nurtisca, but have a great puppy boutique close by that is very knowledgeable with bully breeds . We have been working on clearing up skin issues with Belly since the vet can't seem to figure it out. They recommended Nutrisca thinking maybe she has a root veggie allergy. We ultimately went the raw route with her and I know feeding raw isn't for everyone. Both brands are made in the USA and were listed in the Whole dog journal as a good company.

@cali~jenn Surprised you remember me! I'm almost done training on my job so I thought I would stop back in. We are getting a new bully baby tomorrow!

Oh my gosh a new bully? Please share pics. I Am awful with names and details of anything really, especially since having babies. LOL BUT I saw your avatar and it threw me. Nice to see some old schoolers too. Hope you stay a while. This place has gotten awful busy which is awesome.

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

I have started Bongo on Orijen puppy and he loves it and the quality of Orijen and ingredients are awesome. 6 Starr rated number 1 dog food in Canada.
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads