Protein % and Earthborne transition....please explain?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I'm ready to start transitioning P to earthborne (we had a new bag of fromm to work our way through). However, she has been sensitive to chicken in the past. I've read from the comments some people are feeing meadow meadow feast for the lower protein vs. great plains. Ideally, I'd like to avoid the chicken, but I don't really know enough about the protein to make an informed decision,

P is active, but spends most of her day asleep in the crate...she plays ball, fetch, chase, etc. & is more active than we anticipated, but I'm not sure.

What are the negative effects of feeding too high of a protein?

has anyone tried the coastal catch? It's 32%.

I'm ready to make the switch. A pet store right across the street from us recently started carrying earthborne...so much more convenient!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm ready to start transitioning P to earthborne (we had a new bag of fromm to work our way through). However, she has been sensitive to chicken in the past. I've read from the comments some people are feeing meadow meadow feast for the lower protein vs. great plains. Ideally, I'd like to avoid the chicken, but I don't really know enough about the protein to make an informed decision,

P is active, but spends most of her day asleep in the crate...she plays ball, fetch, chase, etc. & is more active than we anticipated, but I'm not sure.

What are the negative effects of feeding too high of a protein?

has anyone tried the coastal catch? It's 32%.

I'm ready to make the switch. A pet store right across the street from us recently started carrying earthborne...so much more convenient!

@cowsmom
@JAKEISGREAT

Dozer is the same way..he usually sleeps from 9PM to 6:40AM...we feed him he plays for a little and then goes back to sleep...he'll wake up around 12-1 for a little to eat again and then hes on and off until I get home at 6PM. He is then active until 9ish....I decided to try Meadow Feast as well..I think the protein is just right for him...the bonus to this is that if I dont think he is getting enough I can always add a supplement or a treat with high protein in it, whereas with a high protein food I'm stuck with the set percentage so you can't take protein out of it....typically from what I read you dont want to go over 32% unless you have a really active bully. I think Meadow Feast is perfect for you because from what I was told it would be perfect for me. Goodluck!

Last edited:
OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Meadow feast has chicken though, right? That seems to be the hang up. If we could do chicken, I would pick the MF & not worry. Good point about Treats... I hadn't thought about that!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Meadow feast has chicken though, right? That seems to be the hang up. If we could do chicken, I would pick the MF & not worry. Good point about Treats... I hadn't thought about that!

No chicken as far as I know with Meadow Feast...here are the ingredients:

Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Pea Protein, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Blueberry Fiber, Cranberry Fiber, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Spinach, Cranberries, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidgera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/meadow_feast/ingredients.php

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
No chicken as far as I know with Meadow Feast...here are the ingredients:

Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Pea Protein, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Blueberry Fiber, Cranberry Fiber, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Spinach, Cranberries, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidgera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.
THanks - I just saw that on the Earthborne website. I'm sure I read somewhere that it had chicken! Oh well. That makes things a little easier, I guess! Thanks!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We are transitioning HRH to Great Plains Feast... she is snoring at my feet as I type. ;)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My boys love their Great Plains Feast!!! I don't even have to put anything on it and they will head right to the bowls and gobble it down and lick the bowls shiny clean.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
actually i think either is good but if your worried about protein go with the meadow feast and you can always do something else later. let us know how its going :D

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I've found out that protein is good for them when there puppies for growing I feed bongo Orijen puppy that 40% protein. I believe it's the calcium and phosphorus levels that you should be concerned with.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson has about the same activity level. He's crated and sleeps for 10 hours while I'm at work and then plays normally during the evenings and weekeneds. I choose the Meadow Feast becuase the Great Plains protein is too high for him. I now Becky ([MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]) has Jake on Great Plains but he's very active. I also have my non-bully Jack on Great Plains but he needs a higher protein food. In my opinion, I'd start Penny on Meadow Feast first and see how she's doing. Wilson's also allergic to Chicken and Meadow Feast as you see has no chicken in it. :up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.