How long can you give pumpkin to a puppy?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

We transitioned from Wellness to Orijen puppy but we only had enough old food to transition for 4.5 days then it was all Orijen. His poo was soft when we started the switch so we added pumpkin and his poo thickened up. How long can you keep giving them pumpkin?
its only been about 5 feeding of Orijen how long do you think it will take for his poo to harden up by taking into account the transition being short?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You are kind of shocking his system by not transitioning him slowly so its hard to tell how long it will take. Cant you get the old food in a small bag to do a slow transition?
The pumpkin isn't going to hurt him but I think the way you are going about this you will have to gradually lessen the pumpkin like you would his old food. I don't think there is a set time limit.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I was curious about this too. We are almost done transitioning his food and had to start adding pumpkin to stop him from eating his poop. I guess he likes his new food a little too much :eek:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I was curious about this too. We are almost done transitioning his food and had to start adding pumpkin to stop him from eating his poop. I guess he likes his new food a little too much :eek:

Did adding the pumpkin work to stop him from eating poop? Oh [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]! ;)

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - It stopped at once. I read there is something about pumpkin where they love it fresh but after it goes through their system it makes the leavings very unappealing (something about it when it breaks down in their system). He’ll go over to check it out and immediately be turned off. Not sure if it works but I read pineapple juice does the same thing.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
My vet says you can give them pumpkin forever! Good for their digestion. :). We give it to Chunk often, not all the time mainly because I forget to buy it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions