NVI- duck & turkey

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
We switched Hooey over from Purina Pro Plan to NVI-duck and turkey after Hooey kept getting "hot spots" and skin rashes. Luckily, we got his skin allergies under control with the switch but his nose and eyes have been exceptionally runny lately. Not sure if it is the weather/season or hes still allergic to something in NVI. Also, I heard alot of people say that when they find a good food their bully stops shedding so much. That is def not the case for us. Hooey sheds alot, but lately it's been HORRIBLE -- like if you pet him handfuls come out. His poor eyes are constantly running & his face is even a little raw from it. :( On the bright side, I found a local pet store that sells Fromm! Its actually only like 5 miles from my house! :) Since Hooey was having a hard time on the ProPlan -chicken & the NVI-turkey & duck isnt seeming to help as much as we would like -- what brand/flavor Fromm would suit him best? Im open to any ideas!!

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
It might be more than the food... Bonez has bad allergies ... And yeast... We give him 100 mg of Benadryl in the morning and again at night.....his eyes are not running so much ... We also give him a pearl tablet everyday ..that helps with the yeast.. We have noticed Betzie is alot better...we also give the same to our foster Beanz. And his hair has started to grow... Also it can take a couple of months to see results in the food change.... Ours get niv but I either get lamb or turkey... Well we are just trying the turkey ... Since we started niv Bonez has alot more energy.......
Good luck

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
If you have him tested for allergies it takes the guess work out of it. It involves a blood draw. You can have him tested for food allergies and environmental allergies or just food if that's all you want done. One of my boys is on NVI LID Lamb Meal, the other gets NVI LID Turkey Meal. Both are doing very well on it!

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I did notice a difference in his poop -- he doesnt poop as much now and its not as runny. TMI i know, im sorry! ;) Our vet told us to only give Hooey up to 50mg of Benadryl so thats what we have been giving him. How much does Bonez weigh? Maybe we should up Hooeys dose. He does do really good if we give him a Zyrtec..but those are rather expensive so we are trying to find a medium between those & Benadryl. I know its allergy season so thats why im a little hesitant on switching his foods right now. I just hear soo many great things about Fromm & everyone seems to be doing so well on it.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beefy was on NVI Duck and Turkey. He did good on it but his poo was stinky. We switched him to Fromm Surf and Turf and hes doing good. Beefy is doing the shedding, runny eyes and nose but its a seasonal allergy thing for him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well thats the thing with these bullies without the allergy test its hard to know if its the food or the environment doing it. you can put him on one of the limited ingredient nvi to see. its has less ingredients but should not bother his poo if its good. if no change then its probably just the environment. if you use the fromm i would suggest the one of the 4 star grain free ones. beef fritatta seems to be a favorite around here. and yes i use benadryl and zyrtec for sarah. let us know how it goes.

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
@hparker 37 Bonez is about 50 lb. I really like the vet we have now.... It is not all about money with him.... Also I get generic out of sam's club. 400 tablets for $3.28..... Bitzie is 46lb and I give her 3 twice a day... Beanz is 48lb and he gets 4 twice a day as well.... It depends on how bad they are.... On the niv.... I have found thier poop does not smell as bad and it is easier to clean up... They also get plain yogurt and that also helps with gas..... And thier gas has got alot better but I do give them a pearl a day as well I have found the cheaper on amazon as well ..... It can be a time consuming job but Bonez's eye folds are not as wet and now I just have to get rid of the stains and the staining around Bitzie's who who is going.....I have got alot of good advice on here..... But they are all different as well, what might work for one does not work for another...Bitzie's eyes water all the time... Vet said it is her eyelashes.... But they are not hurting her and not causing any other problems ....she will just always have watery eyes....

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Thanks [MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION] -- Hooey's poo has always been stinky, but I do notice it has a really strong odor to it now, not so much a "poo smell" but something different. It is MUCH easier to clean up. I guess that's because of the clay mentioned above. We are really leaning towards getting the allergy test before we switch anymore food. He seems to love the NVI--almost a little too much, he scarfs it down like he hasnt ate in days! ;)

[MENTION=3793]Gold bullies[/MENTION] 8 Benadryl a day? How many mg are they? That makes me a little nervous giving Hooey that many, 2 (25 mg/each) makes him pretty drowsey. He weighs ~47 lbs. Poor Bitzie - atleast she is not hurting.

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4295]hparker37[/MENTION]... ours are 25mg.... but they dont seem to make mine drowsey and they cannot overdose with them ..... but if you dont feel comfortable Bonez was 53lb last visit but he has lost a lil weight.. Bitzie is 46.... burger is 47 and Beanz is 48.5 ..... I dont give them to Burger he is one of the rare ones that stuff dont bother him but he has pain meds as well to me they are more important ... as long as there is no pain i am good ! :D

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Yeah -- im sure after Hooey takes them for so long I will have to give him a little more. Lucky Burger!! :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well each bully reacts to different foods differently so what may work for one won't for another. My Samson did not do well on the NVI duck and turkey at all, his eyes watered like crazy, was itchy and I think it's from the turkey, he can't have chicken and I think turkey is just too similiar to chicken so he had a bad reaction. However he did real well on the NVI salmon for a long time, REALLY helped with the yeast issue he was having. He does best on fish based foods, he's on TOTW pacific stream right now and doing real well. We've also tried Fromm in the past, both grain free formulas (wouldn't bother with the others because he doesn't do well on grain) and he didn't do well on either of those either. So far the only foods he has ever done well on was the Natural Balance LID salmon, NVI salmon and TOTW pacific stream. So when we stick with those, add salmon oil to his food and give him 2 atarax's a day (vet prescribed antihistamine, benedryl doesn't help him at all) I've been able to control his allergies real well. Thats another issue, my vet told me just like with people while one antihistamine/allergy medicine may work well for one pup it may not for another. I've just found that benedryl didn't work while atarax does. Good luck, it's often a long process figuring out the best things for your baby :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.