Exactly what does pumpkin do for bullies?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I've been feeding Gertie and Ida canned pumpkin because I heard it was so good for them. I was telling my daughter about it and so , naturally, she ask what was so good about it? Well, I guess I never really heard that. I just told her the bulldog news said I should, so I am. :eek: So she's quite a smart-alec anyway, and so she said to me (like I used to say to all my kids when they were growing up), "Well, if they told you to go play in the traffic, would you do that too?" :rolleyes: So, can anyone explain to me what pumpkin has that is so good for our bullies?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I looked this up a while ago, and this is what I found:

Canned pumpkin is packed with nutrients and pumpkin has been deemed a "superfood" by Lauren Sherman of Forbes magazine because it contains powerful antioxidants known as carotenoids that can protect cells from free radical damage.
According to Chiropam.com, a blog maintained by a chiropractic practitioner from Western Australia, pumpkin is the highest source of alpha carotene, and is also a valuable source of fiber, protein, iron and zinc.

Nutrition Facts
According to NutritionData.com, one cup of canned pumpkin without salt contains 83 calories, 1 gram of fat, 20 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein. Pumpkin has also been deemed low in cholesterol and sodium, and a good source of vitamins E, C, A and K, magnesium, copper, potassium and iron. A significant portion of the calories from carbohydrates in each serving comes from natural sugar.

Misconceptions
Some people mistakenly believe that canned pumpkin is healthier than fresh pumpkin, but Katherine Zeratsky, a Mayo Clinic nutritionist, reports that both fresh and canned pumpkins are highly nutritious, but that fresh pumpkin may have a higher nutrient content overall.
Not all canned pumpkin varieties are identical in composition. Some brands are made with salt, while others are salt-free. It is important to read the nutrition label carefully to make sure that the canned pumpkin is healthy; healthy varieties will only contain pumpkin and water.
Pumpkins are considered to be a fruit, not a vegetable, and are 90% water.

Benefits
According to the Kristie Leong, MD, canned pumpkin is low in calories so it can be used to make low-calorie, healthy desserts and other foods. Dr. Leong also pointed out that the the high levels of vitamin C and potassium in pumpkin may help prevent heart disease and keep blood pressure levels healthy.
LifeClinic.com reports that vitamin E decreases symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, certain types of breast disease and contributes to a healthy circulatory system. Canned pumpkin contains a significant amount of vitamin E per serving, so consuming it regularly may also offer these health benefits.

Considerations
In order to enjoy all of the potential health benefits of canned pumpkin, the food must be consumed on a regular basis. Canned pumpkin can be used to bake pies, make bread and cookies, and can also be used in savory dishes such as soups. Canned pumpkin is readily available at most grocery stores, and is a versatile ingredient that can be used in everyday cooking.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Thanks!! Now I have lots of info. to pass on to my daughter. However, I'm wondering about the diarrhea part. Ida is being transitioned over to what Gertie eats. Her poops were very firm and everything was going well, then I gave her some pumpkin with dinner last night and she's had the runs ever since. :eek: Maybe she would have had anyway. Wonder if it'll get better if I give her more? She LOVED it, so can't decide what to do at this point. I gave her some baby Imodium, which didn't even phase her. Should I give her some rice? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Gertie switched over without any problem.[ /COLOR]

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Are you switching slowly? I switch over 3/4 old 1/4 new for 2 days, half and half for 2 days, then 3/4 new 1/4 old for 2 days. Always works for Samson, just changed him to Fromm and it's been all good. I do know from reading about other bullies on here that it needs to be done even slower.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I certainly WOULD NOT give her more right now. Just in case she is having an allergy. Are you switching foods? She could be allergic to the food too- so def. keep her on one at a time so you can see what one it is. Try pumpkin again in a couple weeks to see if it effects the same.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Also how much did you give? I think they say to give like a tbsp a day to keep firm poops etc. if you give a lot of any fruit I can see how it could be cause loose stools maybe? I agreee to wait and try again in a couple weeks.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Yes, I'm TRYING to switch gradually, til my darling husband fed them both the same that Gertie is eating, along with the pumpkin. He's ever so helpful!! :eek: So it could be the new food, could be the pumpkin, who knows? I guess she'll get all straightened out in time. Anyone think I should cook her some rice?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, if she has diarrhea give some rice and boiled chicken or ground beef mixed in. should fix her up pretty quickly if she has bad diarrhea.

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Pumpkin is funny like that...it is very high in fiber, but used at the right (needed) time, it can firm up their stool. I have used the organic canned pumpkin with no spices. The other thing pumpkin can be used for is dogs that eat their own poop. It tastes good going in, but apparently between eating and it coming out, it does something that they apparently don't want anything to do with.

Hope that helps. We were just on a can of pumpkin, for the foster dog...it appears it was stress. Oh, also...fat free plain yogurt works great too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.