To Be Grain Free OR Not To Be

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
So I am in the quest to find the perfect food for my dog. I am considering going raw, but I am not ready yet. I am mostly afraid she will choke and I have been doing the research and I know that it is normal for them to regurgitate their food and then eat it again but this grosses me out. The raw meat handling is fine with me it's just puke I can't handle. Also we travel a good amount, so I think it may be a little less convent for that reason.

Well anyway to make a long story short, I am going to be switching from Wellness Brand kibble to Fromm. Going to order form Petflow. I was wondering if I should start with the grain free beef frittata or the chicken ala veg ( which is not grain free). I have read the the grain free foods are higher in protein and may cause hot spots.

So I was hoping for some feed back from all of you who feed Fromm

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Someone will come to help you with the Fromm.. Just wanted to say you could look into raw medallions. It's usually ground whole animal so they get the bones without the chewing. I use these when we go camping or skiing and it's great. The poops are once a day and tiny. Then just give recreational bones for their teeth health.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I have heard the the pre-made raw foods are not worth feeding because they don't get all the benefits of crunching RMBs. and are expensive! What do you spend a month on food? Ballpark??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I feed Brutus 9 months Fromm Beef Fritatta. I had him on Soilid Gold puppy lamb/rice but his :poo: was never good.... So members here suggested we try the Fromm Beef and I couldnt be happier..The good thing about Fromm is when switching you need little to no transistion so you could switch up easy. You could try whichever ...What works for 1 doesnt work for all..Food is trial and error...If you notice a change at all when switching that could give you an idea of anything...

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
I feed Brutus 9 months Fromm Beef Fritatta. I had him on Soilid Gold puppy lamb/rice but his :poo: was never good.... So members here suggested we try the Fromm Beef and I couldnt be happier..The good thing about Fromm is when switching you need little to no transistion so you could switch up easy. You could try whichever ...What works for 1 doesnt work for all..Food is trial and error...If you notice a change at all when switching that could give you an idea of anything...

I agree. Tess has been on Fromm Beef Frittata for 3 weeks and I already seen a big difference in her coat and face and oh her 💩

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Honestly..it's the chicken I'd worry about. A lot of Bully's are sensitive to chicken..and that's the reason we went with Fromm Beef. I tried surf n turf..no go because it has chicken in it. Jake is now on Earthborn..which is a higher protein..but he seems to be doing so well! It's a tough choice and chances are you will be trying more than one..good luck!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I have heard the the pre-made raw foods are not worth feeding because they don't get all the benefits of crunching RMBs. and are expensive! What do you spend a month on food? Ballpark??

Some raw feeders have a hard time understanding that it's not for everybody's lifestyle, and it's "all or nothing" for them. This is why I think some people avoid raw, because of the super strict folks who judge others for feeding kibble or medallions.

For me, like you said, the medallions are not as good as prey model raw because of the lack of RMBs. You can however give recreational bones (like ribs) so they get a good workout and clean their teeth. I've gotten used to the regurgitation, it's not that anything is getting damaged, it's just that they ate too quickly, just like when dogs puke kibble. Mine now take their time to chew.

I don't know what it's like in CA, but in my province I've found local suppliers for ground medallions. They are called Urban Carnivore, and very reputable in our area. I only feed these when we're road tripping so I don't know what the monthly costs are. For prey model raw I spend $45 per dog a month (2 dogs). Before that I was feeding 2 bags of Orijen at $160/ month. So it's a cost savings for us, but takes a learning curve where you spend more the first 3 months getting the hang of it.

My advice would be to look into what local raw feeders are buying. Go to smaller boutiques where the owners are more inclined to spend some time explaining it all to you, and ask them for approx cost $ per month. Then weigh the health and cost benefits against Fromm and make your choice from there :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Back in October I had to switch from raw to Fromm Beef frittata.... Banks was on a raw diet made specifically for her by a vet based on her allergies, but she developed Colitis and could not handle the bacteria. Since being on the Fromm she has done extremely well, in my opinion, even better than when on the raw.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I would like to try raw food, I think is probably the best for her but for now I am not confident in my own knowledge of it to jump in yet. But I do think we could do better. She has no major health problems but some minor issues ( pimples on the chin, tear stains and she has had demodex) all signs that her immune system are not what it should be. So for now I think I will try the Beef Fritaita and she how she does... and do more and more research! their is so much out their to pick through.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.