Fromm transition

C

Cooper11

Is 4 months to young to start moving over to Fromm? I tried Benydryl on Kain the last few days and it cleared him up quite a bit, I'm thinking his food may be related and I'm not comfortable with the lower quality recommendations of it out there.

Can I go strait to beef frita or should I be thinking about Fromm Gold Puppy instead for now.

Sorry to hijack the thread I can create another if need be.

You may want to consider the 4 star it is for any age. Lisa Suggested the 4 star fromm to me for Coop. I just ordered it last week hope it gets here soon!!!! My mom has Gracie on the Fromm Gold Puppy but I told her she needs to switch to the 4 star. They say to start feeding adult food around 5 months or so. But the 4 star like I said I think that is for all ages and you should be fine starting him on it at 4 monthsold! :)

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I don't transition treats but he doesn't get too many anyway. We usually do a 3-4 day food transition. He has never had a problem with the quick transition.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@BruceP I appreciate your concern, though we are transitioning very slowly (prob 5-8 days). If you would like to provide information on it I'd love to read!

So far she loves it, she keeps standing by the door and when I open it she goes straight for that bag lol (she never did that with Canidae!)

I replied with the following a while ago but for some reason I now can't find it. It may have to do with the sever upgrade that is taking place today. Anyway, I am glad I saved it lol

Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn a few weeks ago and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps someone.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I have heard about the canned pumpkin, we might try that though so far no loose poo. I need to be careful because she's crazy about this new food I don't want to feed her too much! Your information does help me, I hope this helps take care of her tear stains as well!

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
That's what we use too ... it seems to be the best for them out of all the fromm 4* flavours that I've tried so far. Grain free AND chicken free!!! :up:
I've researched the Fromm Beef but this does contain chicken cartiledge!!! Beware. My dog is very allergic to all chicken products, so unfortunately I can't use any of the Fromm foods since all of them contain some sort of chicken skin, chicken fat or chicken cartiledge. Does anyone on this site have any other suggestions? I have my bully on Prescription Science Diet, D/D, Venison and Sweet Potatoe and he loves it and I haven't had hives/allergies since he went to this restricted diet. I've heart a lot of backlash from this site about Science Diet (even the prescription, sensitive skin formula that is hypoallergenic and I have had not problems with for over 6 months). I pay over $65 for a 17 lb bag - so if there is something better that is chicken free (completely) I would like to try to switch Rocco. Thanks!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I've researched the Fromm Beef but this does contain chicken cartiledge!!! Beware. My dog is very allergic to all chicken products, so unfortunately I can't use any of the Fromm foods since all of them contain some sort of chicken skin, chicken fat or chicken cartiledge. Does anyone on this site have any other suggestions? I have my bully on Prescription Science Diet, D/D, Venison and Sweet Potatoe and he loves it and I haven't had hives/allergies since he went to this restricted diet. I've heart a lot of backlash from this site about Science Diet (even the prescription, sensitive skin formula that is hypoallergenic and I have had not problems with for over 6 months). I pay over $65 for a 17 lb bag - so if there is something better that is chicken free (completely) I would like to try to switch Rocco. Thanks!

Nature's Logic Venison is a 6 star food and is chicken free...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

I'm lucky in that Maggie's allergic reaction to chicken isn't enough to rule out the Fromm Beef and I can even get away with small does of the other flavours as long as it's for a very short time. BUT give her the Fromm Chicken and it's just a mess!!!!

As for a food that doesn't have ANY chicken in it .... I'm going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] who has done a lot of research on different foods for her bully and see if she can give you any recommendations to try!!

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Chicken is bad for bullies? Wow, first i've heard of this. How did I not learn of this before? :nope:

I recently switched Fergie from Royal Canin 24 to Fromm a few weeks ago after visiting EBN and learning that RC24 is junk food. Started Fergs on the Beef Frittata and wanted the Surf and Turf but the store was out. I ended up buying a bag of Chicken A-La-Veg not realizing this as the 2nd option. The switch went smooth...no tummy issues but did notice changes in allergies (red spots, pimples, paw licking, red eyes, smelly poops almost completely stopped). She just finished the Beef Frittata and started the Chicken A-La-Veg yesterday night for dinner. I'll have to look at her poop later today when I get home.

Is chicken bad for all bullies?

C

Cooper11

Chicken is bad for bullies? Wow, first i've heard of this. How did I not learn of this before? :nope:

I recently switched Fergie from Royal Canin 24 to Fromm a few weeks ago after visiting EBN and learning that RC24 is junk food. Started Fergs on the Beef Frittata and wanted the Surf and Turf but the store was out. I ended up buying a bag of Chicken A-La-Veg not realizing this as the 2nd option. The switch went smooth...no tummy issues but did notice changes in allergies (red spots, pimples, paw licking, red eyes, smelly poops almost completely stopped). She just finished the Beef Frittata and started the Chicken A-La-Veg yesterday night for dinner. I'll have to look at her poop later today when I get home.

Is chicken bad for all bullies?

I didnt read other post but chicken is NOT bad for bullies. I know that some bullies have an allergy to chicken so if you feed your bully chicken and notice hives, hot spots, red face, ect he may have a chicken allergy! i think the easiest way is to get an allergy test done to see what allergies your bully has! :)

Soft poo and licking of the paws, and pimples may be showing an allergy to something also! I wold just watch her like you said and see......if yo feel like she did better with the beef frittata then go back to that :)

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
I didnt read other post but chicken is NOT bad for bullies. I know that some bullies have an allergy to chicken so if you feed your bully chicken and notice hives, hot spots, red face, ect he may have a chicken allergy! i think the easiest way is to get an allergy test done to see what allergies your bully has! :)

Soft poo and licking of the paws, and pimples may be showing an allergy to something also! I wold just watch her like you said and see......if yo feel like she did better with the beef frittata then go back to that :)

Oh okay, I felt REALLY bad there. I will definitely monitor her reaction to it. Thanks for the reply Cooper11. I think I will check to see if there's any Surf and Turf or Beef Frittata at the pet store just in case.

C

Cooper11

Oh okay, I felt REALLY bad there. I will definitely monitor her reaction to it. Thanks for the reply Cooper11. I think I will check to see if there's any Surf and Turf or Beef Frittata at the pet store just in case.

Believe me I feel you! Coop was doing awesome I had no problems with him and then out of the blue we started throwing up, red face, red eyes, eyes draining, cysts on his feet, and he isn't even 8 months old :( I just started a veggie diet as suggested to me by some one on here and he looks awesome! Best he has been in a month! I just ordered the 4 star fromm beef frittata and I am waiting for it to arrive. Hoping Coop does good on it! That is the trick is finding the right food for your bully! Just takes time! And is stressful while you wait! :)

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Thanks so much for your reply Brooklyn Star. I will try Nature's Logic and keep you posted on Rocco. Does anyone else have any comments about Prescription Hills Science Diet D/D Sensitive Skin Formula? Rocco loves it, tolerates it well. My vet says it is a balanced diet (and he doesn't sell it - so I know he isn't "pushing" it as someone once accused vets doing on this site). If all is working well - than why fix something that isn't broken is my motto. Any guidance (balanced guidance please not rants!) would be very helpful. Thanks, Kristin

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
[MENTION=2913]KristinMarie[/MENTION] my dog was/is on hills prescription diet d/d!!! The dry an canned (he loves the can). We have lamb, venison, duck. He loves all of em. And never had one issue on it. Some ppl on here were telling me hills isn't good.... And he shouldn't be on a prescription food forever..... And the chemicals in it are terrible for him..... Not sure if true or not- I'm very easily persuaded though. Only reason we started to switch him is because 1)it's a pain to get the food bc the vet that sells it to us is sooo far away 2) Brooklyn seemed extremely bored with the food and I felt bad!!! He would wait til like the final hour of his day to eat it. So we are in the process of switching him to Fromm. The dry food he wouldn't eat. So I ordered the canned pulled pork and it's inhaled! But I'm on your side. I love the d/d food and so did my dog. Who cares what everyone else is saying! :)

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Natures Variety Instinct has great food, grain and gluten free. I believe it ranges from $55 to $65 for a 30 lb bag.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Natures Variety Instinct has great food, grain and gluten free. I believe it ranges from $55 to $65 for a 30 lb bag.
Thanks! I pay $66 for Science Diet D/D for a 17 lb bag - so this is almost a 50% savings! I'm really torn if I should make a change in food for Rocco or not. He is tolerating the prescription Science Diet just fine. No hives, great coat, nice firm poops, and he loves it. So - I'm still undecided if I'm gonna try switching. I'll keep you all posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.