Earthborn Holistic Great Plains????

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hi all! My 8 month old bully is currently on Natures Variety Instinct Turkey and duck formula and is doing ok on it. His gas has gotten a lot but and he smells great. However, he still has CONSTANT tears and mushy poo. I think I want to try new food. Has anyone tried the Earthborn Holistic Great Plains formula? Or any other suggestions? THANKS!!

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Have you tried Fromm Grain free or natures logic? The tears are prob from allergies. Try a food with different ingredients.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:hiya: I'm transitioning both Wilson (just over a 1) and Emma (16 weeks) to Earthborn right now. There's a few of us that are transitioning or have already to Earthborn. You may want to try the Meadow Feast though unless your guy is very active as it has a high protein. I'm very excited about this food. Right now Wilson's on Blue Buffalo Basic (not grain free) and Emma's on Fromm (an excellent food). Jack my non bully, he's a Staffordshire (pitty) just a year old and 3 months. I'm transitioning him to Earthborn's Great Plains as he needs the higher protein. Both Emma and Wilson don't have bad gas too often anymore, the Blue's been good for Wilson that way. Emma, well she can smell like a hard boiled egg just peeled, :laugh:. It could be the food that your guy has loose stools from or possibly he's being fed too much (that can do it too). I don't think you can go wrong with Earthborn, and like I said, Fromm is another great food.

:welcome: to EBN too!!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Some people mention it in my Meadowfeast thread. I say try it!!! Have you ever had an allergy panel done on your dog? It's how I am finally able to 100% know the food I am giving doesn't have anything food allergy related. (ETA: Actually at 8 mo he's too young to do a panel...)

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I currently give Brutus Fromm Beef Fritatta grain free and he is doing great on it! He had some eye watering and pink pads but now all is great. There is something in the food most likely causing the :poo: smell and tear stains...What works for some doesnt work for all and sometimes its frustrating finding the right food. I have heard many people talk about the Earthborn Holistic Great Plains formula and are very happy with it! Im sure others will be by with more advice and input! Good luck with everything! Were always here when you have a question

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ditto on the tears. Wilson always has teary eyes. When he was neutered last month I had his vet look at his eyes as they've been watery since we brought him home. My vet said that Wilson just has large facial folds and that contributes to his eyes constantly watering.

OP
nmejia024

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Any thoughts on the Earthborn Holistic: Primative Natural?? If i do go with this new food, which one would be more beneficial?

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I'm not sure about the food you are mentioning, but you may want to wait until he's a year or so and do an allergy panel - right now, he's too young, but it would be shame to get into a new food and have to switch again if he doesn't do well with it. It ends up being costly too!! I wish someone had told us about the panel years ago!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Fromm is great. The earthborn is great. There really is no right or wrong answer we can give you about these two good foods. It is just so individual when it comes to your bully-baby's food. Obviously with constant tearing and mushy poo something isn't right with the food. Keep in mind that a LOT of bulldogs have a bad reaction to chicken and turkey could come under that.

Whatever food you try next make sure you change over VERY slowly. I usually increase the amount of the new food every three days by about 1/4 cup so it takes me a good 10 days to transition them on to anything new.

You just have to take a leap of faith and try a food, then wait a good month to 6-weeks to get the old food out of their system and the new one to really take effect. If it doesn't work out then you try again ........... welcome to the world of bullies!!! :luv:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have Jake on the Great Plains Feast. He was on Fromm Beef Fritatta for quite awhile..I just thought his :poo: was still not right. I tried NVI..the salmon and he had a horrible reaction. I went back to the Fromm and waited a few months. I had [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] help me pick out a food. Jake is sensitive to chicken and now I know salmon..so she suggested the Earthborn Great Plains..I immediately saw a change in his coat. It was much softer and his shedding slowed way down. We are on our 2nd large bag and so far I'm very happy. :D. And Jake loves it. If you have any food questions..ask [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..she's awesome!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson was doing well on earthborne great plains then I switched to meadow feast because of the lower protein % but after 2 meals he started getting hives and hot spots. I bet it is the lamb since i tried him on acana grasslands which has lamb as well and he had a bad case of hives.

I don't really know anymore. Now we are trying Nature's Logic Beef Meal.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Watson was doing well on earthborne great plains then I switched to meadow feast because of the lower protein % but after 2 meals he started getting hives and hot spots. I bet it is the lamb since i tried him on acana grasslands which has lamb as well and he had a bad case of hives.

I don't really know anymore. Now we are trying Nature's Logic Beef Meal.

Its sooooo hard! I'm afraid to try anything else! I know the protein is higher..but Jake is very active..and healthy so I'm ok with it...I think...:nervous:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys are also on their 2nd large bag of Great Plains and they all love it. Gas is almost non existent, their coats are really soft and thick and their poo is firm.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Its sooooo hard! I'm afraid to try anything else! I know the protein is higher..but Jake is very active..and healthy so I'm ok with it...I think...:nervous:

We haven't found the right food yet. Watson had chin acne since starting earthborne great plains so i don't know if it was coincidental.
Here is out track record so far:
1. Royal canine from the breeder-hives/hotspots
2. Fromm beef-soft poo
3. NVI salmon-pink face, some concern about ingredients from China?
4. Back to Fromm beef
5. Acana Grasslands-hives/hotspots
6. Back to Fromm Beef
7. Earthborne great plains-chin acne? maybe coincidental
8. Meadow feast-hives/hotspots
9. Nature's Logic Beef- don't know yet:nope:

Maybe all of the hives is environmental. arghhh!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We haven't found the right food yet. Watson had chin acne since starting earthborne great plains so i don't know if it was coincidental.
Here is out track record so far:
1. Royal canine from the breeder-hives/hotspots
2. Fromm beef-soft poo
3. NVI salmon-pink face, some concern about ingredients from China?
4. Back to Fromm beef
5. Acana Grasslands-hives/hotspots
6. Back to Fromm Beef
7. Earthborne great plains-chin acne? maybe coincidental
8. Meadow feast-hives/hotspots
9. Nature's Logic Beef- don't know yet:nope:

Maybe all of the hives is environmental. arghhh!

:hmm: YOU win!! :ROFL: Or lose....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.