Earthborn Meadowfeast - thumbs up so far!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Okie dokie. My review (and not a full one) is I really like this food so far.

Wilson: He will fully transition over in another day. I've noticed that his eyes are not watering anymore like they were and this is a first in the last year. He's gotten a bit chunky through the transition but he'll even out again when he's 100% eating it. He has some minor paw licking but that's been going on since the grasses have started to grow here and when I wash his feet and put some corn starch on them he stops for a few days so I know it's not the food. He also has NO gas and his stools have been normal. Wilson's transitioning from Blue Buffalo Basic (not grain free).

Emma: She's still transitioning and has another week. I'm sure she's going to do just fine. Her stools are also normal and she still has gas (she's on Fromm right now).

Jack - my non bully (pitty). Well what can I say, he's doing wonderful on Earthborn Great Plains. He needs a higher protein. He's been on Blue Wilderness and has always had a boney spine. Since his transition his back has leveled out and you can't see the arch of his spine anymore. He's really doing great!!!

Another thing I like about his food is it smells good. The bag is also a ziplock which is really nice. I will be ordering my second order this week.

The kibble size as for Great Plains is 1/2" round and for the Meadows Feast it's just under 1/2" square.

Here's a picture. Meadow Feast is on the left and Great Plains on the right.

71a8e153.jpg

I'll report back after the next bags are finished in the next few weeks. :up:

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson did fine on Great Plains which he finished the bag. I ordered the 28 lb bag of Meadow Feast for him and he had a bad reaction to it in terms of hives. I am certain he is allergic to lamb because he had the same response with Acana Grasslands which has lamb as the first ingredient. Great plains also has lamb but smaller amount. I really wanted this food to work since it had good ingredients and was cheaper than other foods with similar ingredients. I had a 5lb bag of nature's logic laying around so i switched him over to it. Now he is eating Nature's Logic Beef formula and he has been doing well. Good solid poop and no hives.

Hope you guys have better luck with it.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thanks so much @JeannieCO & @Watson for the feedback. I came home last night and literally looked at every ingredient for all the dog foods listed on the dog food recomendation page. I checked all of them except the two and one star foods, and could not find any that suited my needs. The one that came closest was Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Meal, but their rabbit comes from china so I say to heck with that. The only one so far is Earthborn Meadow Feast and the California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo. I compared both on Dog Food Advisor and for some reason California Naturals got three stars and Earthborn got 5...Earthborn has 29% protein and the California Naturals has 21% protein...does that matter or should I be worried about the high protein in Earthborn?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Ok, erm, do your babies get bad gas on the Earthborn? Mr. D rarely has gas but he got 1 cup of his reg food and 1/2 cup of the earthborn for breakfast. He has since pooped and it looked normal, but he's laying here next to me and I almost just choked to death - I didn't hear anything but whew, what a stink, he even turned his head and looked at his bum, LOL. Oh my goodness. I hope this is just transition gas, bc man was that toxic!!!

You know, I'd put up with bad gas if my list of "wants" were met otherwise. Chicken gives these two toxic gas.

I'm excited this is working out for you. I'm going to try this flavor too!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] lower protein foods get a lower rating there and i myself prefer 25 to 30 percent for bullies. or higher if your dog is active. also california natural was sold to proctor and gamble a while back and ive been hearing reports of the food slowly not being what it was before. basically you are feeding your dog whatever carb is in the food with that low of a protein. just my 2 cents. :D

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks so much @JeannieCO & @Watson for the feedback. I came home last night and literally looked at every ingredient for all the dog foods listed on the dog food recomendation page. I checked all of them except the two and one star foods, and could not find any that suited my needs. The one that came closest was Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Meal, but their rabbit comes from china so I say to heck with that. The only one so far is Earthborn Meadow Feast and the California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo. I compared both on Dog Food Advisor and for some reason California Naturals got three stars and Earthborn got 5...Earthborn has 29% protein and the California Naturals has 21% protein...does that matter or should I be worried about the high protein in Earthborn?
29% is perfect, 21% is a bit low IMO. The Earthborn Great Plain is 36% protein and that generally is too high unless your bully is very active like Becky's Jake is. He's on Great Plains. For Wilson that's too high, for Jack, non bully, it's perfect.

I say try the Meadows Feast and see how he Dozer does. :up:

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
You know, I haven't noticed anymore gas! Question - do you guys think the kibble size is too small? My vet mentioned a small kibble may not clean the teeth as well? It almost seems like borderline cat food to me....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Mr. D chews?? :ROFL: Vegas inhales, but he has lots of nylabones and deer antlers to chew on for his teeth. Vegas is on the same food.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hhehe he does a combo of inhalation/chewing, lol. He got a prime rib bone last night but I had to take it away when I noticed his gums were bleeding. :(

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@BrooklynStar lower protein foods get a lower rating there and i myself prefer 25 to 30 percent for bullies. or higher if your dog is active. also california natural was sold to proctor and gamble a while back and ive been hearing reports of the food slowly not being what it was before. basically you are feeding your dog whatever carb is in the food with that low of a protein. just my 2 cents. :D
Thanks for that info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just bought a bag of this and a jolly ball for Dozer. I hope he likes this food and it agrees with him!!

Good luck with it... the Jolly Ball ... he will love

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.