Switching Again

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
She started off with Purina One from the breeder, we went to Merrick Turduken after we got her home for a few months but her poops were always loose or soft serve ice cream . After some research, we switched to Blue Wildness (grain free)about a month ago but now she seems to struggle pooping, the poop is firm and formed but does not go as often(2-3 times daily vs. 5) . I was wondering if the protein level is causing issues, Merrick had about 25% protein but Blue has about 35%, is this too much for an 8 month old puppy?,,

Should I give it more time?, I also heard I could add fish oil or applesauce to loosen up poop. I hate to switch again, I brought her to the vet last week and she checked out great, a matter of fact the vet said "she is the healthest bulldog in his practice" :yes:. I guess I should be happy that she has no issues.

Let me know what you think.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Small amount of poo is a good thing. Poo is waste so it just tells that more of the food is digested. And when they have to struggle with it a little it also empties the anal glands. 35% protein is, I think in the limit, but maybe you should give him some egg shells too. Egg Shells are good natural source of calcium and phosphorus.

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
We give George a pumpkin cube when he gets constipated and isn't going or is straining to much to go. Once we found the right food it mostly cleared up but every now and then he will have a problem. Basically a pumpkin cube is: I take 1 can of Libbey's Pumpkin (I use libbey's because the ingredients are pumpkin and nothing else, your bully doesn't need corn syrup or fillers.) and I take ice cube trays and place the pumpkin in each one and fill it a little high so you have something to grab hold off to pull it out after it is frozen. You can make them thinner by mixing in a half can of water with the pumpkin then placing them in ice cube trays and then freeze. It is a great healthy snack and full of fiber.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is 8 months old too and he only poops about 3 times per day. We still feed him 3 times per day too. We are in the process of switching foods. His old food was 21% protein and his new is 30% but I doubt that will affect his regularity. Going 5 times sounds like a lot!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you give pumpkin use straight pumpkin and not the pie filling kind. Plus that food should be OK for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as DavidH stated... little bit of canned pumpkin will help

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You are feeding a good food now so most of what she eats will now be digested, unlike when she was on purina and she was eating a load of junk. So you should expect to see a lot less poop!!! It's normal so don't worry ....... now if she is constipated then add the pumpkin!!

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Her poop was fine this morning, didn't struggle, every thing is good

I heard adding Grizzly Salmon oil is good to be regular, do you know anything about this product?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have heard salmon oil helping the overall coat...The pumpkin is used when tummy upset and pooping issues. [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] used this for Cooper

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online