what's your opinion on Merrick's Before Grain dry food?

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
Hi, I have been reading through the webpage and i like how there's very good information, and a lot of input from members. And i was wondering if any of you have tried Merrick's Before Grain food for your bullies? I am currently feeding mine, Nature's Variety Instinct, she gets 2-3 cups/day, I do a rotation between flavors/formulas, but chicken is the one she gets the most. As I read the recommended foods here, I saw that there is a warning about the high protein content from this brand, so I was thinking that maybe i should change her food (or not?). I went with Merrick's BG because i've tried giving her Blue wilderness with no luck, she used to be on Wellness Core but then she stopped eating it, and that's when she got NVI.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. i uploaded a pic of my bulldog with her frenchie friend :D

Attachments

• IMG_20120126_155200.jpg
    IMG_20120126_155200.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 161

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Ive used it..I really liked it but Lolas tear stains got really bad on it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the site.... Lily is a beauty an the Frenchie looks like a little toy sitting there. I never heard of the Before Grain formula.... yoo-hoo [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] :D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
there is nothing wrong with merrick before grain. its a mixed bag of protein but if your bully is not allergic then i dont see why not. also alot here are using earthborn grain free formulas you may want to look at also. i dunno if your bully is doing good on nvi i dont see why change. just cut back the amount fed and the protein should not be a problem. if the high protein bothers you then change. not good to feed your bully something that you are not comfortable with. let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey I have heard good things about nvi if your bully can tolerate it...if there isnt a problem I wouldnt switch brands ... I dont know much about the new one but you already got lots of advice...wanted to see the pics and they are both adorable..the little one is so tiny and cute it looks like a stuffed animal sitting next to the bully lol adorable picture!!!! and welcome aboard! This is the best place for everything need to know about bullies

OP
lilythebully

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
First of all thank you all for the input. My bully is doing great on NVI, it's just the High Protein content that was worrying me. and it seems that here in my area, there isn't any place they carry earthborn grain free, it doesn't really help that we only have limited pet places. I think out of the 6star rated dog foods, the only ones i can get a hold of would be Blue- Wilderness (which she had no interest in), Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas(she's on it right now), Taste of the Wild (haven't tried that one), Wellness Core (her old food, she lost interest in it), and i believe Fromm Four Star Foods has recently become available, but i want to make sure it is going to continue to be available in order to buy it. The only thing i can think of is to go check some feed stores around the area, because in there sometimes they have better food than in the pet places here. Again thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First of all thank you all for the input. My bully is doing great on NVI, it's just the High Protein content that was worrying me. and it seems that here in my area, there isn't any place they carry earthborn grain free, it doesn't really help that we only have limited pet places. I think out of the 6star rated dog foods, the only ones i can get a hold of would be Blue- Wilderness (which she had no interest in), Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas(she's on it right now), Taste of the Wild (haven't tried that one), Wellness Core (her old food, she lost interest in it), and i believe Fromm Four Star Foods has recently become available, but i want to make sure it is going to continue to be available in order to buy it. The only thing i can think of is to go check some feed stores around the area, because in there sometimes they have better food than in the pet places here. Again thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Yes, check the feed stores... they definitely carry better foods

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dunno if hes doing good on nvi maybe not mess with a good thing. but no harm in trying other foods gives you a rotation so they dont get tired of one food. let us know what you do. lots here have good luck with fromm. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.