Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste of the Wild - Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earthborn - Other

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
So the puppy I am getting is currently on Blue Buffalo - The fish based formula. The breeder was telling me that she is going to be switching all of her dogs off of BB soon though and moving them to Taste of the Wild. During my food research I had narrowed down my choices to either Earthborn or TOTW.

My question is which offer's a puppy food I should try, and should I stick with a fish based formula like the breeder has had them on, or try something different?

Just looking for opinions. I see a lot of posts talking about the two foods, but I don't see much in the way of puppy food discussion.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I really just threw a guess out there cuz both foods are great. I cant say as to which protein type you should feed either. Being a puppy I would think anything should be fine. Allergies dont come on till after they try things so just watch and see how it reacts with your baby. It is good to switch up the proteins in general so unless there is a reason to stay with fish I would switch around a little here and there for the heck of it. So long as you do a slow transition, very slow is what I do actually. Just to be safe.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We put Jake on an All Stage's formula from Fromm at 10 weeks. He came to us on Iams puppy..:barf: and my vet likes the all stage food instead of puppy. It worked great or him but they are all so different. The experienced puppy peeps here love Fromm puppy! @desertskybulldogs . @Davidh

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We put Jake on an All Stage's formula from Fromm at 10 weeks. He came to us on Iams puppy..:barf: and my vet likes the all stage food instead of puppy. It worked great or him but they are all so different. The experienced puppy peeps here love Fromm puppy! @desertskybulldogs . @Davidh

I agree with the Fromm all stages! I had Brutus on Solid Gold Lamb/Rice which was what he had coming form the nreeder and now since I switched to Fromm his coat is beautiful his smell is rosey (lol) and he doesnt get pink around the face or lick his paws really anymore! Just sayin lol

L

Lucy-licious

I'm not good with food related questions but this would have been my voice :)

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Where do you guys purchase the Fromm All Stages, and if I wanted to stick with one of the other two brands, what would be their comparable?

So you don't have to feed puppy food at 8 weeks?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Where do you guys purchase the Fromm All Stages, and if I wanted to stick with one of the other two brands, what would be their comparable?

Fromms formulas are all stages..good for puppies thru adults. Jake started on Surf n Turf..but didn't do well on chicken..:poo: So we switched him to Beef Fritatta. It's totally up to you..lots of the puppy people do keep their pups on Fromm puppy for I think a year. They should weigh in soon!! I don't know which is comparable..but maybe [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well taste of the wild has a puppy food that is grain free and salmon based. they also have a high prairie to. earthborn has a puppy food but it has grains and im not a fan of grains n dogs. they have coastal catch and im reading that puppies 4 weeks of age can have it so you should be good with either one really. good luck and let us know how it goes and welcome to ebn.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies. With my other dogs I was always under the impression of fees puppy food until they were 1. Woth billdogs that seems to be a topic of debate.

Does anyone have recommendation on where to buy/order online?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Petflow is where a lot of us on here get their dog food from. It's easy to use and free shipping on orders over $49. Petflow.com

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

We have several stores locally that sell Fromm. But it's also manufactured close to here too. But if you can't find a convenient local retailer then check out Pet Flow. (see links on the site for special deals for EBN members because they sponsor here) and you can have it delivered right to your door.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've gotten great advice from the forum food Gooddess' ...... follow their suggestions/guidance and you should do right for your baby

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
So I was comparing Fromm Puppy to taste of the Wild Puppy...

TOTW Ingrediants:
Bison, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, egg product, pea protein, peas, potatoes, canola oil, tomato pomace, roasted venison, roasted bison, flaxseed, potato fiber, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

FROMM Ingrediants:
Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Lamb, Potato, Tomato Pomace, Whole Egg, Salmon Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Price wise they are basically the same for the puppy food, however the TOTW adult food is cheaper then FROMMs. The primary difference it seems would be Fromms use of Chicken and Rice, and TOTW using Bison, Lamb, and Sweet Potato? [/FONT]

Last edited:
OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Well I went with the Taste of the Wild. It just seemed like the better of the two and the adult stuff is much cheaper then Fromm for when I switch off puppy food. I did the get the High Prarie version.

MR Chewy was cheaper by about $7, but I went with petco since they support the site.

Most Reactions