Aubrey's being picky!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
So, Aubrey had another bout of vomiting like she seems to every once in a while. We switched her to a bland diet and then started introducing dog food again after a trip to the vet and some antibiotics. Now she eats the chicken and picks out the dog food. She will literally spit out dog food pieces all over the floor, but the chicken gets gone as best she can get it out without eating much dog food. :cursing: She was treated by the vet and has her energy back and everything. She only vomited twice this whole week (just her breakfast both times and I believe I know the causes), which is a good improvement. It isn't the transition to dog food that is making her vomit. In fact, she vomited both mornings but was starving at night and was fine after eating. She has always had a VERY sensitive stomach... getting too hot, getting fed too much, drinking from a mud puddle in the back yard, snagging crumbs off the floor, etc, will upset her.

She had her chicken and dog food this morning and picked out the chicken, so I let her snack on dog food this afternoon and gave her just dog food for dinner. She is picking at it, but she is eating some. I hope she will eat good tomorrow or when she gets hungry (she is stubborn though), but I am worried because she was down to 36 pounds at the last vet visit from around 40 pounds; she did gain a pound this week though, thank goodness, even between the two vomited meals. I know she loves her Fromm Surf and Turf because its been her favorite (and the best for her) food for months.

Should I wait her out tomorrow and see if she will eat her dry dog food decently? Or should I cave? Even if I mix her chicken and dog food, she only eats the chicken which isn't a lot since its mixed. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I just want my baby to gain her weight back! :nope: Any suggestions are welcome.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i had to duke it out with lola... it was getting to the point where she wouldnt eat her kibble unless it was mixed with boiled chicken breast, cream cheese, rice AND liver treats. i just got sick of it...it was ridiculous that our dog wasnt eating the good kibble we were buyin her. so i bought 5 different bags of kibble and gave her 5 bowls for a few days to see which protein she liked best (lamb and venison). then i bought a bag, mix it with some jerky type food (ziwipeaks) and leave it in front of her for 15 minutes. she doesn't eat it? she gets another bowl for dinner. her staples for 3-4 days were her egg for lunch and PB in the kong. she'll eat eventually.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
many dogs will be sick on an empty stomache so thats isnt a problem,soak the kibble like you would do for a puppy and see if it gets eaten,pick the food up after 10 mins then offer it again a few hows later ,you will have to be firm,failing that buy some tripe .tripe is a great food for gaining weight and they love it and its a lot cheaper than chicken,its hard work dealing with a picky dog ,karen

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Thank you both. I am trying the food soaking now to see how she does. I know she is hungry because I left her little bit of food out last night and woke up on the couch at 2am hearing her eat the rest of it. Now I know she is just being stubborn.

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
many dogs will be sick on an empty stomache so thats isnt a problem,soak the kibble like you would do for a puppy and see if it gets eaten,pick the food up after 10 mins then offer it again a few hows later ,you will have to be firm,failing that buy some tripe .tripe is a great food for gaining weight and they love it and its a lot cheaper than chicken,its hard work dealing with a picky dog ,karen

Great idea. Tess gets picky once in awhile as well. I will have to try that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I guess Brutus is just a pig! He has never ever rejected any food he was been given! :rofl: He definatley is a piggy! But it seems as the girls have more standards! Brutus just takes what he can get :lol:

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
It worked with Aubrey. She ate a ton more than she has been. :D

I tried it with Tess this weekend she loved it and wanted more. Thanks [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Great suggestion/advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.