How much should I be feeding

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
Angus is about to turn 5 months. The breeder was feeding him 4 cups a day! After doing some research that seems like to much! How much should I be feeding him. His weight is 31 lbs. is that normal for a male bulldog??
424362_402677663079950_100000131588241_1757422_733405166_n.jpg

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
holy crap, 4 cups is alot, but then again i have a picky eater, lola, who is 10 months and eats 2 cups max a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
His weight sounds about right... but I'm thinking 3 cups max a day split how you like but 4 is a LOT of food

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Kain is a little over 3 months and I feed a little over 1 cup a day. Probably a little on the low side.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i guess i should mention that if you feed grain free and/or high quality food, you should need to feed much less volume, and should get less poop! hah :)

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Go by the chart on the back of the dog food bag. If it states 3 cups; that 3 cups is it for the entire day; not each feeding. I would think at his age he could be a three meals and then down to two. We switched George to 2 meals a day around 7 months.
As mentioned before, a basic food from grocery store will require more feeding just so the pup gets their vitamins in but also then the pup is getting a ton of fillers and preservatives of whatever else is in that food. A higher quality food is more satisfying and requires less of the kibble.
Best of luck.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
yes i also find the lower quality food requires a lot more feeding than higher quality. Plus their body uses more of whats in the higher quality food which means less poop to scoop lol..

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Kain is a little over 3 months and I feed a little over 1 cup a day. Probably a little on the low side.

At 3 months he shoud be eating 2-3 times a day about 3 cups split up!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
At 3 months he shoud be eating 2-3 times a day about 3 cups split up!

He is 4 months now and still getting the same amount, last vet visit last month they said he looked great. 24 lbs @ 4 months and has meat over his ribs, over his spine etc, they said don't change a thing as he looks awesome!

Not sure where these high feed amounts come from but I couldn't imagine feeding him 3 cups in one day compared to his 1 1/4 cups now.

** Removed the link to weight chart as it may not be allowed **

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I wasnt saying that you did anything wrong and sorry if it seemed that way! When I joined I was told by other members when they are puppies they usually should get about 2 cups a day split about 2x a day sometimes more depending how active they are..Also depending what kind of food also..I could be wrong....I will tag some others see if they can give some input [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] I def missed some lol

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

Every food is different so you need to research the food. The Ivet we are using according to Coops weight and age he should be getting 4 cups total a day.....My mom just switch Gracie to Fromm puppy food and it says on the bag according to weight and age she should get 2 cups total a day. SO it really just depends on the quality of food you are feeding him and how much protein is in it. SO if the bag says 1 1/4 cup total I guess thats what you should feed him.....Are you sure the bag says that though......cuz that does seem a little low? What kind of food is Kain on? I think his weight sounds good so he obviously isn't starving :)

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I wanted to make sure it was okay vince put that website up.....don't want to make any sponsors mad so I thought I would ask. I am 100% sure if it is not okay he didn't realize that he can't put that up

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Sorry @ChanelInBrutus no offence at all very much appreciate the comment. I'm going to once again make sure I'm reading it correctly. I'm trying to order some Fromm but have to order it as no good stores close to me.

I'm currently using Royal Canin /ducks/. I realize that isn't a good food compared to others so hoping to switch soon.

I'm actually going to post a pic of the bag chart maybe I'm out to lunch again but he sure seems like he's getting enough.

Sorry if my reply came off wrong once again, was not my intention was just in a hurry before we had supper.

Last edited:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Ok, I grabbed a quick snapshot, hopefully this works. Looks like next month or 1 1/2 months I should be around the 2 cups a day range if I read this right.

He is approx 24 lbs now, so I think the 26 lbs at 5 months will be moved to a full 1 3/4 cups. But i'm thinking switching to Fromm for a better food as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online