Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you schedule feed or free feed?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Do you schedule feed or free feed?

I used to free feed many years ago, until I got a bully who was not eating enough. My vet told me to start feeding in the morning and at night, the same time we have breakfast & dinner. This way it cures two problems, one would be begging for food, the other would be an increase in appetite.

So I changed- and like he said, the next thing I know my bully was gobbling down her food at each meal. It did take a few days, and if she did not eat it all I put it up where she could not snack on it.

Last year, my mom told me her shitza-poo was not eating, so I told her the same thing. Of course, it did not help that she gave treats all day long too- and she is a tiny pup so she was probably not hungry for boring dog food :p

After some convincing, I finally got my mom to do the same. And it worked as well, but it did take her a couple of weeks to get used to the idea.

I know a few of you have said you free feed, do you have a problem with undereating or overeating?

I know now that if I allowed my bullies to free feed I think a bag would last for 3 days only! LOL

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do you schedule feed or free feed?

I feed the boys meals - morning, noon (for the baby), and night.

When it was just Bentley, I left food out, he'd never overeat. When Linus came into the picture and couldn't look at food without snorting like a piggy, I knew those days were over.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member laurentourville's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I used to free feed Horse, but after switching to a higher quality dog food that he LOVES, we switched to morning and evening feedings. I feel better this way, it's easier to keep track of how much he's eating, and it sounds silly but it's also gotten him on a regular pooping schedule!
    the bond between a child and their dog is beyond words...

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jillh10 View Post
    When it was just Bentley, I left food out, he'd never overeat. When Linus came into the picture and couldn't look at food without snorting like a piggy, I knew those days were over.
    I love that! CUTE!

I free feed Cutty and Mugsy and it has just worked out that they eat as much as they want and for the most part dont over eat at all. Now Cutty could lose 2 or 3 pounds but other than that he is healthy and looks good or better than some on the tv commercials I think. Some days the boys dont eat so much and then there are days when they eat the whole bowl in a day but for the most part I dont have to pay attention to even how much I put in the bowl. (Unless I feel like it is emptying too fast) Mugsy has never had a pound extra as an issue and I have seen some fatty pugs so we are lucky there. He is very fit so for sure no overeating for him. Luckily.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Schedule feed. I feed Samson a cup in the morning, a cup in the evening. Cup in the evening is mixed with salmon oil and veggies. If I let him free feed I'd probably have to roll him outside to potty (I imagine Violet from Willy Wonka LOL). He is always VERY happy to eat, you say "hungry?" and his eyes light up and ears perk up. He maintains a nice weight this way, nice thick bully yet a visible waist line

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Abby and Sophie were always free fed. However then came Bella. Once she was diagnosed and she had to have everything treated with enzymes, well no more free feeding. Abby and Sophie get a cup AM and PM. Bella get three meals a day, 1 cup each with her enzymes. We have had to cut out treat all together since Bella can not have anything without the Pancreatin.

Always with me

Kennel Cleaner ohiostatebulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
    Likes (Received)

I fill a nice size stainless bowl for each bulldog daily and allow them to free feed. they each eat about half bowl per day do now i fill half full and 80% of the time there is still a feed niblets left!
    S Martin
    Ohio State Bulldogs
    " Unless you try something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow" OSB

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member mom2bullies's Avatar
    Real Name
    Myrna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have been very lucky I guess, we free feed Chesty and Cadence and they never over eat.... there is always food in there bowl...... Now with up coming puppies...we are not sure what will happen.
    mom2bullies

"For it is not into my ear you whisper, but into my heart.
    It is not my lips you kiss, But my soul"

mom gibs me a whole raw cornish hen in da morning. i eat abouts half of it den she either puts it back in da fridge and lets me finish it later dat nite for dinner or i bury it in da backyard and snack on it thruout da day. i eat about 2-3% of my body weight per day.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

I only had my cocker spaniel Dexter, before I got Bertie. Dexter was always free fed, as he will usually only eat if you are in the same room with him. When I got Bertie, I continued the free feeding, and it was working just fine...that it until she went to the Vet and had her surgery for the saft pallet and nares and the 1st cherry eye. When she came home from the vet, it was like she was starved and couldn't get enough food. Ever since, I can't free feed, cause she will gulp it al down...hers and Dexters food. I don't know what happened at the Vets to make her change.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

I can't free feed because Gertie and my St. Bernard are on two different foods. I don't want them eating each other's food. so I feed them separately. Gertie gets fed 3 times thru out the day, but I don't measure it out. She eats what she wants and then I pick her bowl up so Arrow doesn't eat it.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We don't free feed. I feed Vegas and Orion 3/4 of a cup every morning and evening. Vegas doesn't get the exercise he needs, but he's never been called overweight by the vet. (he currently weighs 68 pds) Orion always seems like she is starving. We bought her the slow feed bowl, but she cut her chin on the fence and it was "opening" back up. This slow feeder isn't wide enough for her bully snout, so we put her back on the elevated bowl. Now she hacks and throws up at each meal. She eats way too fast. Vegas would eat and eat if he had the choice......One day we came home and he had (somehow) knocked his weekly rations off the counter and ate about 10 cups of food. I immediately called the ER, and they simply asked "does he look like he's in pain?" Vegas was currently sitting, belly bulging, staring at my husband as he's eating dinner. My reply to the Vet.."ummmm, no. He's actually begging for food." They determined that he would be fine, but if anything changed, to take him in. I think I forgot to mention that he was a bulldog. Anyway, back on subject, we've never free fed. Always monitored it. Does anyone think 3/4 of a cup twice daily is not enough for a 14 month old?
    Last edited by Libra926; 08-25-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads