Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you schedule feed or free feed?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do you schedule feed or free feed?

3/4 cup doesnt sound like enough to me. Cutty would be starvin marvin with just that. I guess if you give LOTS of snacks throughout the day maybe?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Schedule... in the morning and at night. LeRoy gulps his food and tried to eat everyone else's. And it would be too hard with the fosters. They come in with different food and medicines. Just easier for all of us this way.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Does anyone think 3/4 of a cup is not enough for a 14 month old?
    This would depend on the bully of course, what type of dog food, and what snacks.

I would say for the average bulldog my answer would be no. But if you give several snacks throughout the day and feed a super high quality food then 3/4 c is probably okay, and Orion is awfully petite. But for an average growing puppy, especially a male, I would feed no less than 1cup twice a day, plus healthy treats and snacks.

Tidus went through such a long stage from 3-6 months where I fed him tons and could not get any weight on him. He was skinny! Too skinny! So I raised his portions to 3 cups a day and now he looks great. He needed that extra cup a day compared to my adult bullies.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

when Girl ate kibble she got 3/4 a cup morning and nite. it don't look like a lot, but we don't need as much as you fink. since i'z very very active, i used to get a whole cup at each feeding when I ate kibble. i also used to eat like a maniac when i first came into rescue...granted i wuz a walking skeleton and wuz just psyched ot have regular food. mom used to feed me handful by handful, making me sit or shake or lay down for each handful. great way to work on obedience/tricks and it slows us down eating. i eventually learned not to inhale my food and wuz able to fed like a regular dog again

i also wanna share sumfing i read recently dat i fink is very true....do u use a guideline or chart to feed ur human kid? Probably not. we seem to fink all dogs need da same amount of food (not to mention da assumption dat all dog food is created equal HA!). we don't take metabolism or individuals needs into account like we do wif humanz. if ur bullie'z lookin pudgey, cut back on da food. if he'z really active and lookin a little skinny, bulk up a little. just as u would wif ur skin kid.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

i schedule feed spike...once in the morning and once at dinner... i have always done this since he was a pup... i hate how he gobbles all his food like in less than 3 minutes no joke i sat there and times him once...i tell him to slow down and he just looks at me and continues eating...lol... i do notice that after he eats he always seems like he is still hungry but then i hear him BURP and i know he is ok.
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    One day we came home and he had (somehow) knocked his weekly rations off the counter and ate about 10 cups of food. I immediately called the ER, and they simply asked "does he look like he's in pain?" Vegas was currently sitting, belly bulging, staring at my husband as he's eating dinner. My reply to the Vet.."ummmm, no. He's actually begging for food." They determined that he would be fine, but if anything changed, to take him in. I think I forgot to mention that he was a bulldog.
    That story made me giggle out loud.............:p

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

We schedule feed ... 1 cup in morning and 1 cup in night, but now we are switching to a much better food (FROMM) then we are thinking of maybe trying 3/4 cup at each meal. Maggie only weighs 39lb!!!!

If we did free feed .......... well Maggie would probably sleep with her face in the food bag.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I edited my post to read. 3/4 c twice daily. I don't know if that was clear or not. She always hangs around the bowl "licking" it. And she's alway checking to see if Vegas left her anything. I feel bad for her. I really want to up her twice daily feedings to 1 cup each meal. But she is petite and I'd hate for her to start looking like a butterball. She seems to be pudgy already. The treats she get during a normal day are either charlie bear low cal or the specialty low cal treats from the pet store. I don't think she should be starving, but my heart aches when I'm looking at her standing over her bowl.....sometimes 15 to 20 minutes after she's already finished her meal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads