NVI- duck & turkey

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Hooey has been on the NVI-duck & turkey meal for about a week now & he seems to be liking it. His gas is still stinking pretty bad & his nose & eyes have been a little runny lately, mainly after he gets done playing. I have noticed his coat is way more soft..but he is still shedding like none other! Does it take awhile for all of the allergy symptoms to go away if this is the right food for him? We switched him from Purina-pro plan. His poo has been normal lately..but yesterday he had diarrhea. We have been giving him cubes of cheese lately to bribe him in the house bc we moved & he wasnt feelin' our new house at first. Correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt adding cheese into his mix make his poo harder? I know it constipates humans, does it work the same for dogs? The most important question is--how long should I keep Hooey on NVI before trying to find another food that suits him better?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Did you do a slow transition? It takes a couple months to see all the benefits. I'll get [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] here..she's the "food queen"!!! :laugh:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I was going to ask the same thing about the transitioning?? It has to be a slow changeover so how long did it take for you to do?? I also agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] about the length of time to see the benefits .. it will take a while for the crap food to fully get out of his system before you really see any benefits.

During this time I would try and avoid adding anything new to his diet ... even if cheese doesn't seem too bad you will not know if any reactions are from the cheese or the new food. I would maybe try some of the NVI to bribe him to come in and that way you are being consistent in what you are giving him.

If he is loose a bit of canned pumpkin on top of his food can help clear up any looseness. It has to be the 100% pumpkin and not the pie filling. I could go on about the bland diet but first I think we need to know the length of time you took to take him off the old food and introduce the new food!!??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
its to early to tell if its the new food or the old food getting out of his system. i would not give anymore cheese as some dogs are allergic to milk. cut out anything other than his food and yes some pumpkin if needed for diarrhea. its possible moving to the new house is doing this esp if he is not digging it. slow down the transition. do you still have some old food? how long has he been on the new food? bullies have sensitive tummies and can be very sensitive to change. keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you got the best advice from Kazzy220 and cowsmom.... follow that and you'll be set

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Thanks everyone. We mixed both for about a week and a half. He just started getting only NVI. He only gets 1 cup in the morning & 1 cup in the evening. I did little changes every 2 or 3 days & he seemed to be fine with it. Now he LOVES the NVI & eats all of it. I gave him a little bit of yogurt last night for the first time & he absolutely loved it--literally licked his bowl clean. I will start only giving him NVI though & nothing else added in because I want to get this allergy/food thing down to a T. I think his biggest problems were with kibble w/chicken though..we will just have to see.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What I've found with Jake is that turkey and duck are closely related to chicken..as far as his "issues"!!! I stay away from all birds now!

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I just noticed on my first post I said hes been on NVI for a week..we actually started mixing NVI on February 16th. So its been almost two weeks.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Give it more time.... the ONLY thing I would add to his new food is maybe a tablespoon of canned Pumpkin (not pie filling) at each meal.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
What do you feed Jake? We wanted to try NVI before Fromm b/c our local PetCo carries NVI.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4295]hparker37[/MENTION] aw i will be watching this thread to see if all is well. she feeds jake earthborn holistic great plains feast. if you want her to see your question you have to tag her like this @JAKEISGREAT then she will see it

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I had Jake on Fromm Beef Fritatta..he did so much better than his other food..I did try NVI salmon and he had an immediate reaction..so I stopped and went back to Fromm beef. I was just not real thrilled with his :poo: sooo I have very recently switched him to Earthborn Holistics. The Great Plains Feast..it's a bison protein and he is really doing well..best :poo: he's ever had..he has had a few skin bumps..including one he scratched and broke open today! But that's pretty normal for him and I can usually keep them at bay with Maloket wipes. Plus..everything is blooming here so I'm adding Benadryl everyday. this food thing is sooo hard. You haven't been on the new food long enough to give it a real chance. I'd at least give it a full big bag. Unless you see some obvious problems. I agree with Bruce..add a spoonful of pumpkin to each feeding..will help a lot with his poo! Not the pie filling..straight canned pumpkin!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Just added note... NVI contains clay that can make hard poops. So, if you notice your dog going the opposite extreme (from runny to rocky) encourage him to drink lots and lots of water to get him balanced. My bully loves ice cubes for treats, interestingly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.