Puppy Feedings

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As "Baby T" (as Libra once referred to him and it sort of stuck in my head) or Truman approaches 4 months old this Monday, I am contemplating cutting him back to eating twice a day instead of three times a day.

He is healthy and growing and at an ideal weight for his size but it seems like he's pooping non-stop because he's eating constantly. His poops are also going away from that cute little puppy poop to full out stinky loads - and he's still going in his crate at times - so I'd like to get his bowel movements a little more predictable and less often to aid housetraining.

But, with his best interests at heart, I am wondering if 4 months is too young to move to twice a day feedings?

Any advice is appreciated!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Are his poops looser than normal? Bigger and Fluffy? Yellowish is color? Or are they firm, tootsie roll poops? Call me paranoid, but I watch for these signs all the time. Bella Pooped all day long until diagnosed. I would think that he should be close to being more regular by now. Abby and Sophie were pooped trained within a month. Pee trained is another story.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Tootsie roll pops...firm and regular.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Great. Like I said, I get real paranoid when I hear dogs are having pooping concerns.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed twice a day after 3 months. 1.5c twice a day.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think it's a good time to switch Baby T to twice daily feedings. It's so much easier to keep thier "poopies" under control. Also, does he eat everything in 1 sitting? For me, I feed them at 8am and 8pm (because Vegas's seizure meds are best given every 12 hours) but once I put the food down and give the the "ok", they eat it all until they are done. I feed them 3/4 cups twice a day, but T is still a growing boy and probably needs twice that amount. Chesty and Cadence ( [MENTION=657]mom2bullies[/MENTION] ) get fed twice daily but they only eat it when they are hungry, which I can't fathom....when is a bulldog NOT hungry? (correct me if I'm wrong mom) So if Chesty gets fed at 8am but chooses to eat at noon....his poopies aren't regulated. But my mom has it set up with a doggie door, so they are pretty good about going out when they need to take care of business. I can't wait to see more photos of Truman. We've become quite fond of him!:heart:

Last edited:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex started eatin twice a day around 3 to 4 months..... he eats when we get up and around 7 that way he'll poop before bedtime... but or schedules change i work nites every 2 months and jeff also works nites, lex adjusts pretty well....

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus will be 8-months old and even though he has access to food all day, he only eats twice a day. It's very odd, but true. He has breakfast, and he has dinner, and shows no interest in food any other time of the day. It's not something I initiated, he sort of chose to eat twice a day on his own . . .however, when he was 4-months old he did eat 3-4 times a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.