Ivet puppy food

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have an 11 week old puppy. He came from the breeders eating Eukanuba puppy food. He is doing well on this but I noticed it does not get very good ratings, so I have plans to changed after this first bag to a higher quality. When we went of the vet for our first checkup, we were given a complimentary bag of iVet puppy food. My vet, who is recommended on the EBN website, said Eukanuba is great dog food, too.

My question: Has anyone used iVet and what did you think? Would it be okay to gradually switch from Eukanuba to iVet and then a couple weeks later gradually switch again, or could that be too much for puppy's tummy?

As I said earlier he seems to be thriving, but I have already noticed some daily eye slime and some eye redness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Most vets, even good vets, get a portion of each sale from the prescription foods they sell. Those that do know about great food may not be the first to tell you it could solve many of your problems, because if they did that you would no longer be lining their pockets. In some cases prescription food is a necessary evil, but usually not.

I do think it would be too much to switch twice in such a short period of time. Perhaps two bags of the ivet and then a switch, or donate the bag to your local shelter :D

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Most vet's don't know squat about nutrition. All the knowledge they get and seem to want comes from the dog food companies. My vet demanded me to feed my bulldog prescription kibble because he had kidney stones, but i declined. The kibble is supposed to dilute the stones slowly, but I continued feeding raw with some modifications and what do you know...no stones or crystals after a month. I suggest you check the ratings of dog foods in this forum or check if raw is for you and make only one switch. Absolutely lovely puppy by the way:luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said... vets are not nutritionist. They get a kick back from the companies of the food they sell in the office... think of it this way, the food they sell has nothing in it that requires it to be sold by a DVM (no meds in the food) -- it is just a way for the food company to charge more and the vet office goes along because they get money from each sale.

If you have not already started the switch to iVET... find something else from the dog food rating list that has no grains - you will really see your baby thrive.

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks for all the info. I really don't think raw is the way I prefer to go, unless we absolutely have to. It seems to be time consuming and costly and I don't like handling raw meat even for my own supper ;) I have not started switching yet, but he has about 2 weeks of his current food left so I need to determine what to change to soon. I do think he might do better on something else. He goes #2 4-5 times a day in fairly sizable amounts for a baby. It is quite smelly, as is his gas, and his eyes seem red at times and has eye slime. I have been hearing the Fromm is a great food and grain free, but the puppy gold doesn't seem to be a big hit with everyone. Do you think at 11 weeks he would be okay with all stages food or should we stay with puppy food?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the info. I really don't think raw is the way I prefer to go, unless we absolutely have to. It seems to be time consuming and costly and I don't like handling raw meat even for my own supper ;) I have not started switching yet, but he has about 2 weeks of his current food left so I need to determine what to change to soon. I do think he might do better on something else. He goes #2 4-5 times a day in fairly sizable amounts for a baby. It is quite smelly, as is his gas, and his eyes seem red at times and has eye slime. I have been hearing the Fromm is a great food and grain free, but the puppy gold doesn't seem to be a big hit with everyone. Do you think at 11 weeks he would be okay with all stages food or should we stay with puppy food?

If you are going Fromm... all stages is fine

C

Cooper11

I use IVET!!!! Both Cooper and Gracie eat Ivet! No problems with it at all.....My mom just got Gracie Fromm so she will be switching to that (she gets eye boogers so my mom is hoping the food will help) and I am considering buying Fromm also because of Coops tear stains

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.