Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
For anyone who home cooks, please give me ideas on what to make for breakfast and dinner for a 55lb male bulldog. So far he has eaten anything I throw at him, and even my hubby says he wants to eat Tidus's dinner everynight. But I need ideas, of what I can feed. I want to be sure he is getting a balanced diet.:detective:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Hmm I will do some research for you. Can I ask why you've chosen home cooked instead of kibble? (no judgement here, I feed raw)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Any food allergies? I'd start with super lean meat--93% lean hamburger, chicken, or fish, cooked. Add cooked brown rice, barley, or whole wheat pasta. Add cooked veggies like carrots, celery, broccoli and cabbage. You may need to supplement with a pet multivitamin.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I've home cooked for Schultz, on and off, over the years. The simplest formula I have is over cooked (brown rice, quinoa, or oatmeal) over cooked lentils, maybe a sweet potato or some squash ( if he doesn't have a yeast infection), some protein (lean ground meat - beef, buffalo, turkey, eggs, even tofu), and some vegetables and fruit (I just barely cooked these and put them in the food processor so it's little bits).

So for example, this past Sunday i cooked 2/3 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of lentils, 1 1/2 lbs ground buffalo, 3 cups of broccoli, and 1 cup blueberries....mixed it all together and then Schultz got 2 cups of the mix for dinner (he's 45 lbs and pretty active)....and we had leftovers for 3 more meals.

When I feed home cooking I put in digestive enzymes along with his normal supplements.

I try to cook 2x a week right now, and the rest of the week he's on dehydrated food from the honest kitchen, and kibble from Origen...

His digestion always seems better with the home cooked food... ie. I can see more dog food in his waste than the home cooked meals....he had such a rough start and I cooked for him the entire first year of his life.... He has a good appetite for anything, I'm just coming to the understanding that I don't eat processed foods, so why do I feed processed food to my dogs...but I can't seem to bring myself to the raw side.

Hope this helps

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmm I will do some research for you. Can I ask why you've chosen home cooked instead of kibble? (no judgement here, I feed raw)

He does great on kibble, nice soft coat, healthy poos, very little to no tear stains, but always has ring around the eyes. My most recent change in kibble showed positive results except for the eye rings, which got worse. Then [MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] mentioned that Senor Chubby's tear stains went completely away on bland diet in a thread a couple of weeks ago. So I thought maybe it could be something in the kibble process, or the dye or something, that may be causing the rings. The rings are almost the same color as the kibbles are! His eyes are not anymore watery than my other bullies, except this stuff that is a rust color seems to be coming from his tear ducts. I have tried everything (even high powered antibiotics!) except this, so I thought it was worth a try!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The vet gave me a couple of recipes yesterday. One of them sounded breakfasty. It was for baked eggs & tapioca. I'm at work but I can send it to you when I get home if you like.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet gave me a couple of recipes yesterday. One of them sounded breakfasty. It was for baked eggs & tapioca. I'm at work but I can send it to you when I get home if you like.

yes please!
Thank you!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When you say Lentils, that is basically beans, right?

Boy do I feel dumb asking that!!

Thank you!

I've home cooked for Schultz, on and off, over the years. The simplest formula I have is over cooked (brown rice, quinoa, or oatmeal) over cooked lentils, maybe a sweet potato or some squash ( if he doesn't have a yeast infection), some protein (lean ground meat - beef, buffalo, turkey, eggs, even tofu), and some vegetables and fruit (I just barely cooked these and put them in the food processor so it's little bits).

when
So for example, this past Sunday i cooked 2/3 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of lentils, 1 1/2 lbs ground buffalo, 3 cups of broccoli, and 1 cup blueberries....mixed it all together and then Schultz got 2 cups of the mix for dinner (he's 45 lbs and pretty active)....and we had leftovers for 3 more meals.

When I feed home cooking I put in digestive enzymes along with his normal supplements.

I try to cook 2x a week right now, and the rest of the week he's on dehydrated food from the honest kitchen, and kibble from Origen...

His digestion always seems better with the home cooked food... ie. I can see more dog food in his waste than the home cooked meals....he had such a rough start and I cooked for him the entire first year of his life.... He has a good appetite for anything, I'm just coming to the understanding that I don't eat processed foods, so why do I feed processed food to my dogs...but I can't seem to bring myself to the raw side.

Hope this helps

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Just curious... I've never fed cooked meals to dogs so I wouldn't be able to help... but I was just wondering if you don't want the raw for a reason? I just bought a boatload of 69 cents a pound whole chicken from Restaurant Depot that would have been perfect if I fed raw... but, no, the chicken is for the humans in the house. :)

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I haven't seen offal mentioned in any recipe.. It is essential in raw and probably somewhere in kibble, just wondering what home cooked dogs get to fill these nutrient requirements? I guess you could also cook it and add a little bit to homemade recipes..

From barfworld.com (lovely website name lol!)

OFFAL
In the wild, dogs eat the stomach content and organ meat from the animals they prey upon. In fact, internal organs form a vital part of the wild dog's diet. Modern dogs have similar requirements. Dogs consuming these foods as part of a sensible diet have superior health to dogs that do not eat them. Although organ meats are valuable dog food, they are not required in huge amounts. They are a concentrated source of many essential nutrients and are particularly valuable during times of growth, reproduction and stress as a source of concentrated nutrients.

Liver
In this one product is a vast range of important nutrition. Liver is the most concentrated source of vitamin A and should be fed in small amounts on a regular basis. It also contains vitamins D, E, and K in substantial quantities. Liver is an excellent source of the minerals zinc, manganese, selenium and iron. It also contains all the B vitamins, particularly B2, B3, B5, biotin, folacin, B12, choline, and inositol. It contains B1 in adequate or smaller amounts and is a good source of vitamin C. Liver provides a source of good quality protein and the essential fatty acids, both the omega-3 and omega-6 type. It's a fantastic food for your dog!

Kidneys
Not unlike liver, kidney supplies good quality protein, essential fatty acids and many vitamins including all the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Kidneys are a rich source of iron and all the B vitamins. They also have good levels of zinc.

Heart
Like liver and kidneys, heart as dog food is an excellent source of protein, B vitamins and iron. They do contain some essential fatty acids and a little vitamin A. Heart contains appreciable levels of taurine which is important food... for the heart!

Tripe
Tripe is the edible lining and accompanying content of a cow or other ruminant's first or second division of the stomach. Paunch tripe comes from the large first stomach division and honeycomb tripe comes from the second division. Both wild canids and domestic dogs benefit from eating tripe as it contains a very diverse profile of living nutrients including enzymes, omega- 3 and 6 fatty acids, probiotics, and phytonutrients. It has long been quoted as being "the finest of natural foods".

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

No question is dumb, and yes lentils are beans but they are smaller and cook much quicker than normal size dried beans... But still with great protein and fiber.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Lisa, [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] just got done doing a home cooked feeding. I can't recall for how long but oh man it was yummy looking.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.