Earthborn Holistic trial, the results are in.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
just started my boys on the Great Plains from Earthborn and I have to say all three of them do not leave a crumb in their bowls, but Remy eats like he's never seen food before anyway!!!! I still have to feed them separate because Remy gets done first (not sure he even tastes the food) and then looks at the big boys' bowls like "hurry up and move out of the way, so I can lick your bowls clean for ya!"

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
as i was posting how good this food was i looked at the dogfood advisor website and apparently canola oil is bad and also is found in Earthborn holistic

The Weston A. Price Foundation article quotes numerous studies of the effects of Canola oil in animals; ā€œThese studies all point in the same direction--that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals' diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.ā€

What do the food experts here think? I may have to try something else....
@cowsmom
@JAKEISGREAT
@desertskybulldogs
i honestly am not bothered by the canola oil in it. ive fed so many foods and each has a different oil in it. flax canola and whatever. now if the food was garbage and had it in it then id have to think about it. i would feed this food if i could. just my opinion though.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
thanks [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

He has been on it solely now for 3 days. Everything is going well. Less shedding. No noticeable gas. Poo is more firm.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I'm excited about this food! It's 20 bucks less than fromm and seems the consensus is that it's just as good. My dogs eat about 2.5-3 cups a day each so we go though the bag pretty fast. I will try a change when I finish this bag. I still have another after that for the switch!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am also excited about this food.....

Did anyone notice a remarkable reduction in tear stains then? (that they can attribute DIRECTLY to this food)

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
@Vicaroo1000 tear stains are about the same. i am most excited that the poo is firm now and the volume is half of what it was when he was on Fromm Beef. Make picking up his poo everyday alot easier.

He also jumps up and down when I get his food like he hasn't eaten in a few days. I think that means he likes the taste. I made him wait a little longer the other day and his drool covered the kitchen floor.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] - that's a pretty great testimonial! love the drool comment!!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm going to be making the switch to Earthborn as well. We have a local place here that is cheaper than Petflow and delivers for FREE. Can't beat that. I contacted them on Friday and received an email back that they carry it and are adding it onto their website this weekend. I'm thinking the Meadow Feast for Emma and Wilson. Wilson does great on a protein of 26% so I'd like to keep him at that.

Do you think Emma's too young to make a switch yet, she'll be 4 months by the time I start the transition? I guess she will be fine, I transitioned Wilson to adult food at that age and he was fine.

Jack still has another new bag of Blue Wilderness to get through first. I will more than likely put him on the Great Plains as it has a higher protein (34%) and he needs that.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
This was posted on the Earthborn Facebook page. You need to do a transition between the Grain free formulas

Earthborn Holistic Natural Food For Pets
Hey Ashley! Thanks for your support of our Earthborn Holistic product line! This depends so much on the dog. Just like people, some dogs have stomachs of iron and others will get upset tummies over even small changes in their food. Since both foods are grain-free the transitions should be easy on the dog but for some dogs it may not be. You will have to be the judge as to what works for your dog. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if it is an easy transition.

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
I wouldnt worry about canola oil. Even my NVI has this ingredient in it. And it has such a small amount. From the research i have done this is what i found. The ingredient canola oil. Most applaud canola for its favorable omega-3 contentā€¦ while a vocal minority condemn it as an unhealthy fat.Current thinking (ours included) finds the negative stories about canola oil more the stuff of urban legend than actual science.[SUP]2[/SUP]

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
For those interested:
[h=4]Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast[/h]Dry Dog FoodEstimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content
Ingredients: Bison meal, peas, pea protein, tapioca, dried egg product, canola oil(preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), flaxseed, lamb meal, pea fiber, natural flavors, blueberry fiber, cranberry fiber, apples, blueberries, carrots, spinach, cranberries, choline chloride, potassium chloride, dl-methionine, l-lysine, taurine, l-carnitine, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, folic acid, biotin, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, salt, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, vitamin B12 supplement, Yucca schidgera extract, rosemary extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation productFiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.4%Red items when present indicate controversial ingredients​
The first ingredient in this dog food isbison meal. Bison meal is considered ameat concentrate and contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh bison.
The second ingredient mentions peas. Peas are a quality source of carbohydrates. Plus (like all legumes) theyā€™re rich in natural fiber.
However, peas contain about 25% protein, a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.
The third ingredient is pea protein, what remains of a pea after removing the starchy part of the vegetable.
Even though it contains over 80% protein, this ingredient would be expected to have a lower biological valuethan meat.
And less costly plant-based products like this can notably boost the total proteinreported on the label ā€” a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.
The fourth ingredient is tapioca, a gluten-free, starchy carbohydrate extract made from the root of the cassava plant.
The fifth ingredient is dried egg product, a dehydrated form of shell-free eggs. Quality can vary significantly. Lower grade egg product can even come from commercial hatcheries ā€” from eggs that have failed to hatch.
In any case, eggs are easy to digest and have an exceptionally high biological value.
The sixth ingredient is canola oil. Many applaud canola for its favorable omega-3 content while a vocal minority condemn it as an unhealthy fat.
Much of the objection regarding canola oil appears to be related to the use of genetically modified rapeseed as its raw material source.
Current thinking (ours included) finds the negative stories about canola oil more the stuff of urban legend than actual science.[SUP]2[/SUP]
In any case, plant-based oils like canola are less biologically available to a dog than fish oil as a source of quality omega-3 fats.
The seventh ingredient is flaxseed, one of the best plant sources of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Provided theyā€™ve first been ground into a meal, flax seeds are also rich in soluble fiber.
The eighth ingredient is lamb meal. Nutritionally similar to bison meal, lamb meal is considered another meat concentrate.
The ninth item is pea fiber, a mix of both soluble and insoluble dietary fiberderived from pea hulls.
From here, the list goes on to include anumber of other items.
But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.
With two notable exceptionsā€¦
First, the manufacturer appears to have applied friendly bacteria to the surface of the kibble after cooking. These specialprobiotics are used to enhance a dogā€™s digestive and immune functions.
And lastly, this food also containschelated mineralsā€¦ minerals that have been chemically attached to protein. This makes them easier to absorb. Chelated minerals are usually found in better dog foods.
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Dog Food[h=2]The Bottom Line[/h]Judging by its ingredients alone, Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Dog Food looks to be an above-average kibble.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need toestimate the productā€™s meat contentbefore determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matterprotein reading of 38%, a fat level of 20% and estimated carbohydrates of about 34%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 36% and a mean fat level of 20%. Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate contentof 36% for the overall product line.
Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.
When you consider the protein-boosting effect of the peas and pea protein, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing an above-average amount of meat.
Bottom line?
Earthborn Holistic Grain Free is a meat-based dry dog food using an above-average amount of fish, poultry and bison meals as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 5 stars.
Enthusiastically recommended.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ok, my local place just put Earthborn up on their website. I inquired about it on Friday and today I saw their email back to me from Friday that it would be up this weekend. Wow, they actually sent me a personal email today letting me know that it's up now. :up: So, here's my question.

I'm going to switch Emma & Wilson. Emma's on Fromm Puppy Gold right now and Wilson is on Blue Buffalo Basic. Emma has 3 to 4 weeks of Fromm left and Wilson has about the same. I'm not sure if I should put Emma on Earthborn's Puppy Advantage or put her on the Meadow Feast with Wilson.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Did I mention they deliver to my door for free. $41.98 for 28lb for Puppy Advantage and $48.49 for 28lb for Meadow Feast.

@desertskybulldogs

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Emma is about 14 weeks, so almost 4 months old.... hmmmmm that is a tough one. Will she be 4 months before you run out of the fromm puppy? The reason I ask is because from 12-16 weeks MY GOSH they grow soooooooooooo much. I would seriously want to keep her on puppy or ALS at *least* until she is 16 weeks, longer if you can.

Oh yes I reread your post. So she will be a good 16-17 weeks during the switch. I think that would be okay.

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] if it helps their website suggests that is is fine for puppies. I can't rememer how old you said your emma was. 4 months? Macy is 6 months and i'm thinking about making the switch with her since it is grain free, chicken free, and potato free. She is currently on NVI salmon but she still has really bad tear stains. Don't know if this will help with that but as long as it doesn't make it worse or cause any new issues I think the savings will be worth it. I currently pay over $80 a bag for NVI salmon and can get great plains feast for $49!

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Oh yeah, and here is my favorite part about this company
[h=3]UPCs for Trees[/h]You can build forests around the world and help reduce harmful greenhouse gases when you participate in the Earthborn Holistic[SUB]Ā®[/SUB] UPCs for Trees program.While most greenhouse gases are essential for maintaining our earthā€™s temperature, too much greenhouse gas can damage our climate. Planting a tree is a simple way to help remove excesses of the most common greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide (CO2 ), from the environment. Thatā€™s because in its lifetime, a typical tree can absorb nearly a ton of CO2.Send in your Earthborn Holistic[SUB]Ā®[/SUB] UPCs and weā€™ll have a tree planted. It takes only 1 UPC from a 28 lb. dog bag, 2 UPCs from 14 lb. dog bags or 3 UPCs from 6 lb. dog bags or 1 UPC from a 14 lb. cat bag, 2 UPCs from 6 lb. cat bags or 3 UPCs from 2.2 lb. cat bags to plant a tree.
  1. Purchase any Earthborn Holistic[SUB]Ā®[/SUB] product.
  2. Collect the UPC codes from the Earthborn Holistic[SUB]Ā®[/SUB] product package.
  3. Mail in the UPC codes.
    Earthborn Holistic[SUB]Ā®[/SUB] Natural Food for Dogs
    P.O. Box 972958
    Dept. 100
    El Paso, TX 79997
Then sit back and weā€™ll do the rest! Weā€™ll have trees planted in areas that have been affected by deforestation. Check out the Tree Locator to see where trees are being planted now. Imagine the impact we can make by working together through UPCs for Trees.Love Your Dog. Love Your Planet.[SUB]ā„¢[/SUB]​

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.