Earthborn Holistic trial, the results are in.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I will be watching this thread with KEEN INTEREST! Having just bought the truckload bag of Nature's Balance LID Duck/Potato, I won't be switching for awhile....BUT, like my Gastronomical Goddess friend, I am amending morning meals with either 1)scrambled eggs (1 each) OR 1/4 cup plain yogurt OR 1/4 cup cottage cheese. Seems to be really helping my little Road Turtle Beatrice in her energy levels. She kept UP with Bo the other day on a woodland trek where we were jumping over logs and the whole nine yards. She also went "swimming" in an icy creek and LOVED it. I had to pull her out of there. Upping the protein around here has really helped. The yogurt is just a pro-biotic thing - plus, they think its ice cream.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] have you tried the new flavor from FROMM, the "game bird recipe"? Buddy just loves it and is doing good on it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@BruceP have you tried the new flavor from FROMM, the "game bird recipe"? Buddy just loves it and is doing good on it.

I think, HRH has sensitvity to Chicken which I think is in this flavor

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think, HRH has sensitvity to Chicken which I think is in this flavor

That is why but I was on my tablet above and was having trouble typing... that's why the short answer... Each of the new products from Fromm have something that Gracie doesn't do well with. I guess that is why Im anxious to try the Earthborn. We started this morning giving HRH a little Great Plains Feist as treats just to give her a taste of it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is why but I was on my tablet above and was having trouble typing... that's why the short answer... Each of the new products from Fromm have something that Gracie doesn't do well with. I guess that is why Im anxious to try the Earthborn. We started this morning giving HRH a little Great Plains Feist as treats just to give her a taste of it.

Ooooooooooooooo... I'm doing the same with Banks. Bought a 6lb bag and will be starting as treats for a few days to see if there are any issues.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have 2 $3 Earthborne coupons for those who want it. PM me where to mail it to!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson has been on Earthborn holistic great plains for the past week and no issues so far. His stool is a little more firm than on Fromm beef. Tear stains are about the same. He likes to to eat it which is important. No hives or bumps or hotspots so far (he will get these immediately when he eats something he is allergic to like chicken). No noticeable gas. I think his muzzle is less pink but he has some chin acne (we use stainless steel bowls only). His coat seems to have a little more oil in it. Since the kibble size is larger, he doesn't try to inhale it at meal time and choke. He doesn't have a problem with yeast infections so I cannot comment on that but I like the fact that Earthborn does not have potatoes. Overall he is doing a little better on Great plains than on fromm beef with his stool being a little firmer (better for me as his pooper scooper). Since Earthborn is cheaper, we will continue with it.
IMAG0210.jpg

Last edited:

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
as i was posting how good this food was i looked at the dogfood advisor website and apparently canola oil is bad and also is found in Earthborn holistic

The Weston A. Price Foundation article quotes numerous studies of the effects of Canola oil in animals; “These studies all point in the same direction--that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals' diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.”

What do the food experts here think? I may have to try something else....
@cowsmom
@JAKEISGREAT
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
earthborn has great protein 1 has like 38 and 2 are 32 i think and then one is 25 or something. long as you stay away from primative natural you should be fine. tell me what that other food was you were feeding with the peas i need to look at it again.

That other food was Nutrisca (or something that sounds like that) and that's where I was going to go next - but this Earthborn Holistic sounds great.

[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - thank you for the details up there in this thread. Based on your post, I think the "meadow" version is the one for us if we go this way. I want my pup's faces to be just like [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] 's Annie.....*pout*

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been officially on Earthborn Meadow Feast for 3 weeks after doing a slow food change of almost 3 weeks. He was on NVI Salmon, He is doing great on it and I have noticed his fur is softer and his eyes are not quite as runny.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas has been officially on Earthborn Meadow Feast for 3 weeks after doing a slow food change of almost 3 weeks. He was on NVI Salmon, He is doing great on it and I have noticed his fur is softer and his eyes are not quite as runny.

Kelly.... that is great!!!!! We've been giving HRH some as treats but haven't started to switch yet..... She loves the stuff.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
as i was posting how good this food was i looked at the dogfood advisor website and apparently canola oil is bad and also is found in Earthborn holistic

The Weston A. Price Foundation article quotes numerous studies of the effects of Canola oil in animals; “These studies all point in the same direction--that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals' diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.”

What do the food experts here think? I may have to try something else....
@cowsmom
@JAKEISGREAT
@desertskybulldogs

Im not a food expert but I'll bet there is an 800 # on the bag where you could call them and find out...... and let us all know what they say about the canola oil. ;)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kelly.... that is great!!!!! We've been giving HRH some as treats but haven't started to switch yet..... She loves the stuff.

Bruce - which were you giving as treats? Great Plains or Meadowfeast? I used the Great Plains with Banks as treats for a week --- her Colitis (blood in :poo: and bleeding after) started back up. I gave her some of the Meadowfeast last night as a treat so we'll see how her butt is later today.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce - which were you giving as treats? Great Plains or Meadowfeast? I used the Great Plains with Banks as treats for a week --- her Colitis (blood in :poo: and bleeding after) started back up. I gave her some of the Meadowfeast last night as a treat so we'll see how her butt is later today.

Christine... We've been giving HRH the Great Plains and she loves it as a treat. We still have about 2/3 bag of Beef Frittats left so IF we try to change it will be a while. HRH only eats 1 1/2 cups a day so it takes a while to go thru a bag.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online