Earthborn Holistic trial, the results are in.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tidus has tear stains around his eyes. Not in the folds, but actually around his eyes. I clean them 2-3 times a day. I notice it is the color coming from within the tear ducts, not just what is leftover. Of course you can only clean this area so much, cannot use any miracle workers since there is a chance it will get into his eyes. He has no yeast or anything on any other part of his wrinkly body, just the rings around the eyes. My vet and I even tried high powered antibiotics and it did not help at all. (Baytril)

So I was very intrigued by the Earthborn Holistic Great plains formula. The ingredients looked wonderful. Got the food, smelled great!

Molly is doing very well on this food. Her coat looks so shiny and wonderful. For $20 a bag less in cost, I am impressed.

Jesse got the fish forumla, (forget what it was called), and man oh man! What got into her? She has so much energy to burn now I have had to spend time outside with her fetching a ball, and letting her play with the puppies. Is a great food too much of a good thing?

So I was thinking.... if I can only figure out Tidus's eye rings, everyone and everything would be perfect. Did the full transition, coat looks good, he smells good, soft coat, great poops. But the ring around the eyes is worse. :( I don't know why it bothers me so much, (doesn't bother him none!) I guess it is because his face is white and those rings are an eye sore to me. Seems like there MUST be a way to stop this.

@wfd38383 mentioned something in a recent topic that intrigued me. He said when he ran out of food and used bland diet, Senor Chubby's tear stains disappeared. So I am going to try home cooking for our Tidus boy for the next two weeks. If anyone else has had ring around the eyes and was able to cure it, please give me some info!

Thanks!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Roxy had the ring around her eyes due to entropian..Once the surgery was done they disappeared..

Im not sure with this one. I will research.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Those are wonder results! I'm intrigued by this food. Emma just started getting her tear stains and today I noticed some staining at the nostrils. The little precious white moon of a face is staining....boohoo! I'm going to check out this food more. Is it a available at the pet stores or did you get it online?J

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have heard wonderful things about it. Our Feed supply just started selling it. However the fat content is too much for an EPI dog. Bella is starting to regress and I am needing to try a different food AGAIN, I am heading over to Natural Balance, Limited ingredients, Sweet Pot and Venison. Bella needs less than 12% crude fat and less than 4% crude fiber, hard to find with grain-free.

I have talked to a friend who sells raw, may even try that route, if he can find a way for it to be cost effective with the pre-packaged patties.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard that gluten can be THE thing that causes tear stains and other problems with dogs as well as humans. You can search that from the internet. it's used as a glue to hold a lot of things together and it even don't need to read in the label. Most grains have gluten, but even the grain free kibble can have gluten in it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am loving our results so far..I'm still at 3/4 new 1/4 old..(Fromm Beef). Only because I wanted to finish off the Fromm. I just in the last few days started to realize how soft Jake's coat is and his shedding is soo much better. His :poo: is absolutely the best he has ever had. I only :begging: it stays this way! Getting ready to order second bag.

@JeannieCO ..it is available at certain retailers. I decided to order from Petflow but it's at a small pet store about 15 minutes away. Jake is on Great Plains Feast..no chicken..grain free.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the update @desertskybulldogs - any chance you or anyone else using this food could post a quick pick of the size of the kibble? I am interested in it as well but am hoping for a bigger size kibble than NVI, which keeps getting smaller and smaller. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@desertskybulldogs ....... The Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is the fish formula and is minimum 32% protein. The Great Plains Feist is 34% protein. I had a good talk with the Earthborn rep Sat. night at the Mardi Paws event we went to. He said they look at themselves as the Indiana version of Fromm.. LOL I think he said that because I was bragging about Fromm and that it was so well accepted here on EBN. I told him about the site so hopefully he'll check us out.
He also told me something interesting. He recommends that when transitioning, put a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin in the mix to keep their poo from getting soft during transition. He said 2 tablespoons for HRH when I told him she was 40 lbs so I suppose a little less for a smaller bully and a little more for a biggy. He gave me a 1 lb. sample bag of each of the above for HRH and said they would be the Earthborn equivalent to Fromm Beef Frittata. Might try it.. haven't decided yet as Fromm has been fairly good to HRH.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the update @desertskybulldogs - any chance you or anyone else using this food could post a quick pick of the size of the kibble? I am interested in it as well but am hoping for a bigger size kibble than NVI, which keeps getting smaller and smaller. Thanks

Jill... its about the size of Fromm. Or, about 1/4" pellets. If dog food is anything like high quality fish food, small pellets are good because they are easier to thoroughly digest.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], Becky, I went onto their website and we have a place 6 miles from where I live. I've been in there before too (Pet Palace). I got Ace a really nice fleece wear for winter. I'm going to call them this week and see what their prices are. Emma is on the Fromm Puppy Gold right now and I have 2/3 of a big bag. I want to wait until she's 16 weeks to transition her to adult food. That's what I did with Wilson.

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], that's really good information to know, thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Jill... its about the size of Fromm. Or, about 1/4" pellets. If dog food is anything like high quality fish food, small pellets are good because they are easier to thoroughly digest.

I just measured Jake's. His is the Great Plains Feast...I'm not sure if they vary. His is round..1/2 inch in diameter..quite a bit bigger than Fromm. Like eukanuba in shape and size.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - I saw it at a PetValu store (pretty sure they are chains) soon after I saw [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] mention it. I was surprised to see it there, but the salesman said that had just started carrying it and they do carry other high quality foods.

That is part of the appeal to me in addition to everyone doing well on it. I could walk to PetValu from our house which is appealing in case we would ever run low, etc. I drive 30 mins now to get Fromm or order it. The Earthborn was also $49 for a 28lb bag, which is a good bit less per bag, and they were handing out coupons to promote it since it was new in the store. I will be keeping a close eye on these posts. I am definitely considering a switch & wish I hadn't just transitioned Penny to Beef Fritatta (We are only about halfway through the first bag, and I hate to change her again!). The manager was the only one who had been trained on the food & wasn't in the store when I was. I would like to go back and learn more about it.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Penny gets an eye ring, too. Hers seems to be more just moisture than staining, per say. Sometime she looks like she has on goggles. I have noticed a decrease in that with her since switch from the Fromm salmon to beef fritatta.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I haven't confirmed this but I think the rep said there is a $3 coupon available to try their food if you sign up for email updates. He also said the coupon is reprint able for a certain amount of time. I had asked him if he had coupons we could offer on EBN.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.