Opinions needed, switching food...

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Iā€™ve been thinking about switching to Earthborn Meadowfeast. Weā€™re on NVI LID Lamb and doing ok, but the earthborn is cheaper (by like $12 and 3 lbs more). I compared all the ingredients. All ingredients match, except for the fruits and probiotics in Earthborn. And the clay in NVI. I donā€™t think Bruin has any problems with the fruits (apple, blueberry & cranberry) and definitely not probiotics since I give him chobani everyday. Lilly can eat anything and be fine, so Iā€™m not worried about her. Another thing thatā€™s nagging me is that the vet we went to (a new vet, first visit was 1/26) said that we should ā€œstick with the good hypoallergenic dietā€, the reason why Iā€™m questioning this is because in the same conversation she said ā€œthe only food we can really recommend is the Hillā€™s Science Diet, because weā€™re sure of whatā€™s in itā€ā€¦soooo Iā€™m thinking 1.Sheā€™s not going to give me an opinion on Earthborn b/c she doesnā€™t know the ingredients (plus she cut me off when I tried to ask her about it) 2.Sheā€™s recommending Science Diet :barf: , so how much does she really know about foodā€¦hence why Iā€™m here asking the experts! Thanks!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Meadow Feast is an AWESOME food! I can't believe it is $12 cheaper! I mean, Blue Buffalo Wilderness that I use and NVI are pretty close in price. It's definitely not $12 bucks difference, if so, I'd switch too! Well... that is... if Bullie is not allergic to it...

Yeah, my vet is trying to push over-priced Royal Canine too which is just as bad as Science Diet. They get a percentage of the sales. It's like someone said on here - it's the same thing as a doctor selling pharmaceuticals in his office.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good juck with the new food, keep us posted on how it goes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: this earthborn is sounding interesting

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Ive been reading up on the Earthborn here too. Im trying to talk our local store into getting some.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I will be interested in hearing your experience if you switch. I am currently feeding NVI LID Lamb and am pretty happy with it but the size of the kibble keeps getting smaller and smaller and I am noticing Linus isn't really wanting to get it all out of his bowl the way a younger dog would and I would prefer they eat something they have to crunch because it helps get tartar off the teeth.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Yeah, my vet is trying to push over-priced Royal Canine too which is just as bad as Science Diet. They get a percentage of the sales. It's like someone said on here - it's the same thing as a doctor selling pharmaceuticals in his office.

It just made me sick how my vet also wanted to push Hill's kibble to my Usko when he was diagnosed with bladder stones. Her attitude said that I will be hurting my dog if I wouldn't feed him what she recommended. But I have showed her, Usko is doing great with raw food and there's no sign of stones or crystals.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Just a suggestion, have you ever thought of feeding raw? I know it's not for everyone but it's definitely something to look into especially if your bullie has lots of allergies. My two, a 14 month old and a 5 month old bullie, have done great on it. No stinky doggy breath and much fewer poops for example. Whatever you decide though I sure hope it works out for them! They are too cute!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I will be interested in hearing your experience if you switch. I am currently feeding NVI LID Lamb and am pretty happy with it but the size of the kibble keeps getting smaller and smaller and I am noticing Linus isn't really wanting to get it all out of his bowl the way a younger dog would and I would prefer they eat something they have to crunch because it helps get tartar off the teeth.

Just a bit of info..the Earthborne kibble is bigger..like normal sized Kibble! Jake is doing great so far..I think Lisa might be trying it too.???

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im late but earthborn is good food. id have sarah on it but shes allergic to it and just about every kibble known to man. so yea id go for it if its cheaper than fromm. my feed place is upscaling and they just got some in along with fromm and grandma lucys and some more raw food. its cheaper here to. let us know how it goes if you decide to switch.[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] im not sure if the grain free is interchangeable. one is high protein and 2 are midrange and 1 is a lower protein more limited ingredient formula. might want to do some kinda lead in but i would think not as much as a new food.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.