Smoked bones?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Trying to give Raven a variety of chewies. I was wondering if smoked bones were ok. She has nylabones that she isn't all that enthusiastic about. Wish I had known that before I spent about $40 buying a variety of them for her :nope:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Don't know much about the smoked ones, have never tried them. I'm surprised she doesn't like the nylabones, mine love them. Have you tried an antler? Some peeps here give their bullies antlers and they love them.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She doesn't pay them much mind. She had an antler but it seems to have gone missing. Trying to find good, safe chewies for her so I can save furniture, shoes and anything else that might strike her fancy.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
I'm super curious too about the smoked bone thing, I asked this question not too long ago and reeeeeally want to know if we can give him one...they look tasty!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have you tried any of the Kong toys. Some of them have slots or holes in them to put peanut butter or treats in. They usually like those and Kongs are safe and durable for bullies.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I give Samson smoked beef bones but never without supervision, they can crack and splinter. The center cut femur bone is the one I buy and they are really strong, Samson can chew on them for hours without cracking but I still only give them to him while I am around because I know they can and obviously don't want him to choke on any pieces. These are the ones I always get:

Beef-Center-Bones-Natural-Dog-Treats.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Haven't tried smoked bones. I'd be just too scared of them cracking and splintering. Mine all love the nylabones and the antlers! The antlers disappear quickly here too and it wasn't until Christmas that I witnessed Daddy eating a whole antler within a few hours!! Now I know where they 'disappear' to!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give Samson smoked beef bones but never without supervision, they can crack and splinter. The center cut femur bone is the one I buy and they are really strong, Samson can chew on them for hours without cracking but I still only give them to him while I am around because I know they can and obviously don't want him to choke on any pieces. These are the ones I always get:

Beef-Center-Bones-Natural-Dog-Treats.jpg

Ditto.... on;y while we are able to watch them... but they actually do not really like them so I have two, but they never touch them

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I wouldn't give them because of the splintering. Ruggles is such a strong chewer and he does swallow what he can, I wouldn't trust that I could prevent him from swallowing a splinter.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I got two new nylabones when I went to get big girl a new harness. The first ones were chicken. This time I purchased a sweet potato and a bacon. Well she sure loved them. I got the big ones and she had eaten half of each in the blink of an eye. She plays with her kings here and there. Missy chubby dubby doesn't care to work hard for her food or treats...lol. I also purchased a smoked lamb bone. She loved it. Took away the bone though once she got the smoked meat off of it.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I got one like [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] for Watson and he loves it more than the nylabone. I put peanut butter in the center instead of using the kong toy (hard to clean). It's been 2 months and the bone is still relatively intact. Only 4 dollars too. I got one of the large elk antlers and it was $20 for one. This is much more affordable and the elk antler was gone in 2 weeks.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I got one like TessaAndSamson for Watson and he loves it more than the nylabone. I put peanut butter in the center instead of using the kong toy (hard to clean). It's been 2 months and the bone is still relatively intact. Only 4 dollars too. I got one of the large elk antlers and it was $20 for one. This is much more affordable and the elk antler was gone in 2 weeks.

Cleaning the kongs are a total pain! It helps to put it in the top rack of the dishwasher though :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
smoked bones splinter very easily and should be avoided,i think kongs are the safest thing ,i also got a round nylibone and tied an old sock to it and annie spends hours trying to get the sock off!!,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.