HELLLPPPP! soo many food questions!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Treats can UNDO all your hard work of finding a good food. Commercial treats are fine as long as they are chosen with the same care as the main meal. HRH doesn't like carrots or beans so she gets Blue Buffalo treats that are grain and gluten and chicken free like her main meal. Veggies are great treats,,,, if you bully will eat them.

GREAT reminder! I'm gonna print your post out and lay it on grandma's pillow....LOL She's a softie for these guys.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I appreciate everyones comments SO much! Hooey is doing much better since he has been taking his antibiotics & ear drops. He loves whn he gets medicine bc he knows cheese comes with it! :)

I have done a little research on raw food..but I heard its somewhat time consuming. I work full time & go to school full time & my boyfriend works 12 hour shifts at a chemical plant. We dont have MUCH spare time so I was thinking it would be easier to stick with doggy food. Depending on how Hooey does with new foods, Raw feeding might still have to be an option. We are just going to play it by ear for now.

We have always fed Hooey Purina Pro Plan w/chicken..but when he got the hot spots the first time we switched over to Purina PP- sensitive skin which is a salmon formula. However, one time the store was out of Sensitive skin so we purchased chicken again. Now that I think about it that is when Hooey stopped eating & started feeling bad. I am thinking the chicken is what he is not taking well. I have seen alot of people use the Fromm Beef Fritatta & heard good things, but I would kinda rather steer clear from chicken AND beef while transitioning foods. Our vet reccomended finding a food with protein such as duck, or other game animals rather than chicken or beef.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
& BTW-- Hooey has only been on meds for one full day & ate his entire bowl of food this morning AND looked at me like "Can I have more??". Took so much weight off my shoulders!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Glad he is feeling better!! Good luck picking his new food, it is definitely overwhelming! Fromm does have a duck & sweet potato in the 4* line, but it is not grain free if you're looking for that.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] & @jackdaniels are trying a new food that is bison based. I may try this with penny based on their reviews depending on how penny does in the beef fritatta...we are about 1/3 through the bag.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
We ended up getting the NVI-duck & turkey meal..We wanting to try this one before Fromm because NVI is available at our local PetCo. We mixed it in with Hooey's food last night & a little bit after he ate he started "biting flies" & licking at one paw. I dont know if I was being overly paranoid about it because Brandon, my boyfriend, said hes been licking that one paw quite often lately but I have never noticed. I also dont know if him biting flies was due to the food or to his ear infection because he was only doing it to his left side, which is the ear his ear infection is on. Also, since we mixed it with Pro Plan..it could still be the proplan bothering him. Im so lost & confused!!!

We have been giving Hooey the ear drops morning & night for 2 full days now but we noticed last night his ears are draining now. When we took him to the vet we were unaware he had an ear infection because we couldnt see it. I wasnt sure if the ear drops were causing his ears to drain or his infection is getting worse? Anyone have similar experience? Im going to check on him on my lunch break & if his ears still look bad Im going to take him back to the vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We ended up getting the NVI-duck & turkey meal..We wanting to try this one before Fromm because NVI is available at our local PetCo. We mixed it in with Hooey's food last night & a little bit after he ate he started "biting flies" & licking at one paw. I dont know if I was being overly paranoid about it because Brandon, my boyfriend, said hes been licking that one paw quite often lately but I have never noticed. I also dont know if him biting flies was due to the food or to his ear infection because he was only doing it to his left side, which is the ear his ear infection is on. Also, since we mixed it with Pro Plan..it could still be the proplan bothering him. Im so lost & confused!!!

We have been giving Hooey the ear drops morning & night for 2 full days now but we noticed last night his ears are draining now. When we took him to the vet we were unaware he had an ear infection because we couldnt see it. I wasnt sure if the ear drops were causing his ears to drain or his infection is getting worse? Anyone have similar experience? Im going to check on him on my lunch break & if his ears still look bad Im going to take him back to the vet.

How is he today -- after lunch break?

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
He acts like he's feeling better..I fed him the NVI again & he did okay with it this time. I think it was his ear that was bothering him last night. I'm hoping he does well with it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.