Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELLLPPPP! soo many food questions!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELLLPPPP! soo many food questions!

Quote Originally Posted by hparker37 View Post
    Thanks sooo much everyone for all the help. Hooey went to the vet today & we found out he also has an ear infection. My poor baby..that somewhat explains the no eating. He is now on antibiotics for his rashes & eardrops for his ear infection.I'm going to start feeding hooey yogurt & fruits & vegetables for snacks instead of store bought snacks. Any good or bad experiences with fruit & veggies? I'm still trying to figure everything out on this site so I'll have more pics up soon.
    Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN!!

We use Fromm Beef Frittata... and have noticed such a difference in her coat, skin and Or vet is thrilled and says "for a bulldog - she is a picture of health" She still has some minor yeast issues in her paws and one ear, but over all FOOD makes the dog. Like ours have said - be sure to stay the course with the treats... grain free or like you said veggies (what ever they like) carrots, green beans, bananas etc. We use Grain Free 'Fruitables' (cranberry/bluberry and cranberry/pumpkin).

Good luck and keep us posted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Hi! Have you ever thought of raw feeding Hooey? Cleo started off having issues and I put her on raw at 6 months and have never looked back. She's now 14 months and her new brother Mac is 5 months and both are doing great on it.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Hello and.

We are Fromm feeders here too!! Go to the Petflow website because I think they've reduced the minimum order for free shipping now.

You've been given great advice so the only thing I would say is that don't feel you have to start grain free as it does limit you a little. The food he has been on is truly awful so I'd like to think that ANY of the Fromm 4* range is going to give you improvements. Our Maggie can only tolerate small amounts of chicken which means I can use the Salmon n Veg. She does slightly better on the grain free surf n turf which has a little chicken in it. However does the very best on the beef like a lot of others here.

The food issue is the biggest thing for our babies!!! I wish you luck ... and hope it doesn't take you too long to work out the best option!!

By the way ... the ear infection is very possibly down to the food too. If he's still not eating I would suggest trying the bland diet for a few days!!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Treats can UNDO all your hard work of finding a good food. Commercial treats are fine as long as they are chosen with the same care as the main meal. HRH doesn't like carrots or beans so she gets Blue Buffalo treats that are grain and gluten and chicken free like her main meal. Veggies are great treats,,,, if you bully will eat them.
    GREAT reminder! I'm gonna print your post out and lay it on grandma's pillow....LOL She's a softie for these guys.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooey
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate everyones comments SO much! Hooey is doing much better since he has been taking his antibiotics & ear drops. He loves whn he gets medicine bc he knows cheese comes with it!

I have done a little research on raw food..but I heard its somewhat time consuming. I work full time & go to school full time & my boyfriend works 12 hour shifts at a chemical plant. We dont have MUCH spare time so I was thinking it would be easier to stick with doggy food. Depending on how Hooey does with new foods, Raw feeding might still have to be an option. We are just going to play it by ear for now.

We have always fed Hooey Purina Pro Plan w/chicken..but when he got the hot spots the first time we switched over to Purina PP- sensitive skin which is a salmon formula. However, one time the store was out of Sensitive skin so we purchased chicken again. Now that I think about it that is when Hooey stopped eating & started feeling bad. I am thinking the chicken is what he is not taking well. I have seen alot of people use the Fromm Beef Fritatta & heard good things, but I would kinda rather steer clear from chicken AND beef while transitioning foods. Our vet reccomended finding a food with protein such as duck, or other game animals rather than chicken or beef.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooey
    Likes (Received)

& BTW-- Hooey has only been on meds for one full day & ate his entire bowl of food this morning AND looked at me like "Can I have more??". Took so much weight off my shoulders!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Glad he is feeling better!! Good luck picking his new food, it is definitely overwhelming! Fromm does have a duck & sweet potato in the 4* line, but it is not grain free if you're looking for that.

@JAKEISGREAT & @jackdaniels are trying a new food that is bison based. I may try this with penny based on their reviews depending on how penny does in the beef fritatta...we are about 1/3 through the bag.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooey
    Likes (Received)

We ended up getting the NVI-duck & turkey meal..We wanting to try this one before Fromm because NVI is available at our local PetCo. We mixed it in with Hooey's food last night & a little bit after he ate he started "biting flies" & licking at one paw. I dont know if I was being overly paranoid about it because Brandon, my boyfriend, said hes been licking that one paw quite often lately but I have never noticed. I also dont know if him biting flies was due to the food or to his ear infection because he was only doing it to his left side, which is the ear his ear infection is on. Also, since we mixed it with Pro Plan..it could still be the proplan bothering him. Im so lost & confused!!!

We have been giving Hooey the ear drops morning & night for 2 full days now but we noticed last night his ears are draining now. When we took him to the vet we were unaware he had an ear infection because we couldnt see it. I wasnt sure if the ear drops were causing his ears to drain or his infection is getting worse? Anyone have similar experience? Im going to check on him on my lunch break & if his ears still look bad Im going to take him back to the vet.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hparker37 View Post
    We ended up getting the NVI-duck & turkey meal..We wanting to try this one before Fromm because NVI is available at our local PetCo. We mixed it in with Hooey's food last night & a little bit after he ate he started "biting flies" & licking at one paw. I dont know if I was being overly paranoid about it because Brandon, my boyfriend, said hes been licking that one paw quite often lately but I have never noticed. I also dont know if him biting flies was due to the food or to his ear infection because he was only doing it to his left side, which is the ear his ear infection is on. Also, since we mixed it with Pro Plan..it could still be the proplan bothering him. Im so lost & confused!!!

We have been giving Hooey the ear drops morning & night for 2 full days now but we noticed last night his ears are draining now. When we took him to the vet we were unaware he had an ear infection because we couldnt see it. I wasnt sure if the ear drops were causing his ears to drain or his infection is getting worse? Anyone have similar experience? Im going to check on him on my lunch break & if his ears still look bad Im going to take him back to the vet.
    How is he today -- after lunch break?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooey
    Likes (Received)

He acts like he's feeling better..I fed him the NVI again & he did okay with it this time. I think it was his ear that was bothering him last night. I'm hoping he does well with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads