kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Hi guys!

I've read some reviews of this food online, but I was wondering if anyone here had actually tried it and had some feedback...since bulldogs are a whole different can of beans :)
It's Nature's Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato, grain free. The ingredient list looks OK (I'm a dog food newbie) and I'd like to try it if it's good since we can get big bags at Costco for Mr. Hungry. He's really subject to licking/biting his paws, gas and burping. I know "look at this food" questions are annoying but I've only been able to find reviews of this stuff on general dog food sites. :(

Ingredients:
Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, ocean fish meal, potato fiber, pea protein, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Protein 24.0%, Fat 14.0%, Fiber 3.0%

Annnd my other question...are the beef bones at Petco OK for bullies? I mean the ones that are real bone but have some smoked "leftovers" on them. We got one as a gift and it looks so tasty, but BF said it might be too rough on his tummy.

Thanks guys :) Bonus dog!

401346_10100188738274027_24605826_45538686_1737600579_n.jpg

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Never heard of the food. Good luck though. Someone should come by soon to help. It's crazy trying to choose a food because of the many options. By the way Thor is adorable. This is the best place to ask questions...lost of good parents to help you out.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have not heard of it, but it may be fine. Some bullies have problems with sweet potatoes and some don't. All I can say is try it, start off with a small bag like a 10 lb. bag and see how he does. Food is a trial and error thing anyway. Good luck.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey I dont have exp with any other food than Solid Gold Hundkchen Focken Puppy Lamb and Rice. I agree with @daivdh about the potatos in some and not others. Hope you get the help you need! It was somehow very easy for us when we switched Brutus the food was a good match! Keep us posted as to what works for THor!

Good Luck

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
CHeck out the food rating chart here on EBN for a quality food. The chart is made for Bullies. There are a lot of great foods on there that have been proven good for bullies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never heard of it either... however -- Oh Sandra.... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]... may have some info for you

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Finding the perfect food is indeed a moving target! The list here is a good one. I'd like to see some of the new foods (that use garbonzo beans and peas as the carb) reviewed as well. I'm trying one now (there's a thread about it somewhere) and it's not going so well.

Buy small bags. <== my best advice
Grandma has taken mannnnnnnny expensive bag leftovers down to the food bank at her church because they just didn't work for us. (Most shops let you return them if they don't work too. I just won't do that.)

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Personally, I wouldn't feed it to my dog. The first ingredient is a "meal" and then the next 3 are veggies, followed by another "meal". More real meat, less "meal" and veggies.

I think Orijen is a FANTASTIC food.

These are just my opinions.

As far as the beef bones, my Guinness also has a very sensitive tummy. The only "bone" she can really enjoy is one made of yak's milk. She loves it and it doesn't upset her tummy. Also, not stinky. A little messy though. Her rule is she has to keep it on a blanket, or in her crate.

OP
kaikousha

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Thanks everyone for your input :) I appreciate it!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Meal is actually fine. The difference between "meal" and the non-meal real-meat (not by-products) in the kibble-form of dog food is the water content. So, having meal as the first ingredient is not a bad thing because the ingredient list is listed in descending order according to the amount of the ingredient present in the food by weight BEFORE processing. For example, if you had just Salmon as the first ingredient versus having a Salmon Meal as the first ingredient, the Salmon will have a significantly lower amount of meat than the Salmon Meal because about 70% or so of the Salmon is water whereas Salmon Meal has had the water squeezed out of it. So that, after all the ingredients are mixed together and then dehydrated to form kibbles, your Salmon ingredient would now become 70% lesser in weight than the Salmon Meal which makes for a kibble with significantly lower meat content. Make sense?

Nature's Domain is okay food. It's a little high on the carbs (due to potatoes being a significant amount of the ingredients) but it's okay... I mean, there are better ones, of course, especially the well-known brands that have been shown to use quality meats like the Fromm brand and also grain-free ones (okay, my "high dog food rating" meter is quality ingredients with high protein, low-carb, grain-free).

Cosco also sells the Kirtland brand of dog food which is similar in quality to Nature's Domain - and it's a bit cheaper if you're cost-conscious.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I believe [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] tried some of the Costco food .... can't remember which one but maybe Lisa can be more help on this one ???

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.