Taking the FROMM plunge...

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Hello all-

Roxi has been on Nature's Logic for almost a year now and I am looking at switching her food.
She is 19months old now and has developed tear staining and tail pocket staining...
We had issues with allergies last summer and I found a vet that we both absolutely LOVE and
has a hollistic approach to "bully issues" such as allergies and haven't had any major issue (hives-which
were the main issue) other than the watery eyes and nose every now and then since about September:D

However, these tear stains are driving me mad and her tail pocket is stained as well. No odors, no reddness,
no itchiness...she doesn't seem to mind at all. The vet doesn't seem worried at all about this either.

I clean, I dry...You name it, I've done it when it comes to trying to get rid of the dreaded tear staining but no luck which leads me to
my post...Do you think switching her food could help with the staining? Have any of you experienced this?

Or are there any other suggestions? I am all ears.:D

Here is a picture of one of her folds.
IMG_1364.jpgShe was mad and wouldn't let me get the other side but it is the same as this one.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was on Nature's Logic Duck and Salmon. We really didn't have much luck, so I switched Orion to the grain free Surf and Turf. She looks better, but I want more. Her tear stains drive me NUTS also, so my next bag will be the grain Free Beef Frittata. Thru the recommendations on this site, alot of bulldogs have allergies to chicken. So, I'm going to try the beef. Last night was the first night I'd noticed O licking her paws. I've never seen her do this..and i have a camera on her during the day and my doggy nanny hasn't said anything about her licking her paws (I don't think, right [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]?) I was actually going to mention this to you on your profile.

I just made the decision 2 days ago to change again.
[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION]

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I had Watson on Fromm beef frittata and he was still licking his paws and his stool was too soft and sometimes mushy, i tried switching to NVI salmon and his stool was better but he was so gassy on the salmon and his face was red so now we are now back to fromm beef frittata. I was thinking of trying surf and turf but it doesn't sound like it is any better from what you are saying. It is so frustrating....i will try Acana next based on a friend's recommendation.

[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION] Watson still has tear stains on Fromm beef frittata. The lady from the dog food store told me to try apple cider vinegar in his water and it should help with the tear stains but i have not tried it yet

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We'll, HRH has been on the beef frittata since it came out I think and her tear stains are about the same as Roxi's and she occasionally licks her feet. Neither of which is bad enough to make us want to switch, and she is in overall good health. Remember, it doesn't do any good to feed great food without making sure the treats are compatible. In HRH's case that means Blue Buffalo holistic health bars. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I had Watson on Fromm beef frittata and he was still licking his paws and his stool was too soft and sometimes mushy, i tried switching to NVI salmon and his stool was better but he was so gassy on the salmon and his face was red so now we are now back to fromm beef frittata. I was thinking of trying surf and turf but it doesn't sound like it is any better from what you are saying. It is so frustrating....i will try Acana next based on a friend's recommendation.

[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION] Watson still has tear stains on Fromm beef frittata. The lady from the dog food store told me to try apple cider vinegar in his water and it should help with the tear stains but i have not tried it yet

If I were you I would try the surf and turf before switching brands, cant hurt. Each dog is very diff so what works for one isnt the same as what works for another. And if you switch between the brand itself there is no slow switch necessary so it is easy on their tummy. For me the beef fritata seemed to make Cutty more red but yet I am tempted to try it again and make sure, always second guessing myself. haha

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just remember..surf n turf has chicken in it. This food stuff is sooo dang hard! :bang:

Jake is just being transitioned to a new food. Earthborne Holistic..Great Plains Feast..bison is the protein. So far so good..I tried NVI and he had an immediate reaction so a week in is good for this food... :confused:

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Don't forget that they also have TWO new grain free flavours to try in their 4* range .... Salmon Tunalini and Game Bird Recipe. :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Don't forget that they also have TWO new grain free flavours to try in their 4* range .... Salmon Tunalini and Game Bird Recipe. :up:

I was at the store yesterday to get out bag of Beef and the two new flavors are 'free' with the purchase of a larger bag!!! There is a coupon on the new bag that they take at the register. NICE!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We have Frank on the Fromm Grain free Beef Frittata and he has bad tear stains. I just can't seem to get rid of them. This is his fourth food and he does so well otherwise on it. Doesn't lick his paws or anything else, just tear stains. I am thinking of getting an allergy panel done for him one of these days just to find out for sure what doesn't sit will with him.

I will have to try the new Fromm grain free kinds. I am assuming that the 'free' bags are only at stores and probably not through Petflow?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have Frank on the Fromm Grain free Beef Frittata and he has bad tear stains. I just can't seem to get rid of them. This is his fourth food and he does so well otherwise on it. Doesn't lick his paws or anything else, just tear stains. I am thinking of getting an allergy panel done for him one of these days just to find out for sure what doesn't sit will with him.

I will have to try the new Fromm grain free kinds. I am assuming that the 'free' bags are only at stores and probably not through Petflow?

Not sure, i am not doing Petflow yet -- I like supporting the small local stores in our area and the price isn't much more. allergy testing is the greatest thing to do --takes always all the guessing and trying new foods. Have you tried using witch hazel like twice a week to clean his folds?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Not sure, i am not doing Petflow yet -- I like supporting the small local stores in our area and the price isn't much more. allergy testing is the greatest thing to do --takes always all the guessing and trying new foods. Have you tried using witch hazel like twice a week to clean his folds?

The nearest store to us who carries Fromm is actually a vets office 45 minutes away. We are kind of out in the boonies which is why we do Petflow. I do use witch hazel about once a week because I was worried about it irritating him more but I will try it a couple times a week. I also use a q-tip to carefully put a little Gold Bond medicated baby powder there. Any other suggestions are happily welcomed! It is very frustrating to see these tear stains on his beautiful bullie face.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The nearest store to us who carries Fromm is actually a vets office 45 minutes away. We are kind of out in the boonies which is why we do Petflow. I do use witch hazel about once a week because I was worried about it irritating him more but I will try it a couple times a week. I also use a q-tip to carefully put a little Gold Bond medicated baby powder there. Any other suggestions are happily welcomed! It is very frustrating to see these tear stains on his beautiful bullie face.

My vet also suggests, when Banks stains were real dark (chicken allergy) to use apple cider viniger. I never used it as I went with witch hazel instead, but I have read a few people her do use it and rave about it

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.