Changing food

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
Hi,

Ive been feeding my 5months my bully royal canine until last week when i switched to orijen. I made a quick switch because i had a full bag of orijen along side with the royal canine, but when i decided to switch i only realized that i have 2 cups of royal canine left.

Ever since i made the change my puppy has been having soft stool, sometimes its ok and its sometimes its soft and very smelly.

Shall i switch it to Acana? or do you suggest something better?
Since she is not accepting of Orijen so far, how can i make the change? mix orijen and acana? or just give acana straight away?

Im changing her food many times, i think its bad but i need help please.

Thanks

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
You really should be making the transition from one food to another very slowly. For example, a quarter of the new food to three quarters of old food, then half and half etc. Especially with a pup so young, it's important that the change is very gradual. Now, having said that, why did you opt to go with the Orijen off the bat as opposed to the Acana?

They are both really good foods but Orijen is higher in protein which might be too much for a relatively inactive dog (though this is, of course, debatable). When Chance was a puppy we transitioned from the food the breeder gave us to Acana. He's a VERY active bulldog but since I sometimes supplement his kibble with home cooked meats, I didn't bother with the higher protein in the Orijen.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of different formulas within food brands. Your dog might not do well on one but do great on another. If the stool issues continue, you can try switching to another "flavour" within Orijen, one with a different protein base. It may be that your puppy doesn't do well with chicken or beef or whatever formula you've selected.

OP
H

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
Thanks for the reply, yea i know I've made a mistake its just that i didn't wanna buy another bag of royal canine. Now, If i switch it to a different orijen food, how do i do the transition? Same with Acana?

Shall i switch her to a bland diet for a few days then start introducing the new food?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You need to get the pups tummy settled down before doing ANY switch.... go buy a small bag of canine and put him back on it until it is settled back down. Only then can you try to make a switch. To make that switch mix 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food, feed that for maybe a week. Then mix 1/2 to 1/2 and feed that for a week. Then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a week and finally make the switch to 100% new food. At any point things don't go well, such a having loose stool back up a little for a few more days. Bullies have very sensitive tummies for some reason so just be careful. After you have him on the new food you should be able to switch to different flavors within that brand but if you want to switch brands then you must repeat the transition process. Hope this helps.
How about some pix of your bully????? ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You need to get the pups tummy settled down before doing ANY switch.... go buy a small bag of canine and put him back on it until it is settled back down. Only then can you try to make a switch. To make that switch mix 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food, feed that for maybe a week. Then mix 1/2 to 1/2 and feed that for a week. Then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a week and finally make the switch to 100% new food. At any point things don't go well, such a having loose stool back up a little for a few more days. Bullies have very sensitive tummies for some reason so just be careful. After you have him on the new food you should be able to switch to different flavors within that brand but if you want to switch brands then you must repeat the transition process. Hope this helps.
How about some pix of your bully????? ;)

Perfect advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.