Food allergies possible?

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
So I just went to the vet with little Elli a couple days ago and thought I had no problem with her food... I did see that everytime I fed her dairy shed have softer stool so I stopped that. But I now see that it is still happening just with her kibble. She is eating a chicken flavor mixed with a lamb. I've noticed she leaves some chicken ones and only finishes the lamb. I'm pretty bummed causes I mixed them before even thinking! Could it be an allergy to chicken?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327321277.836896.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327321277.836896.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 98

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Chicken is one thing that bullys seem to be allergic too often. Our Princess Gracie is one that is allergic to chicken. Have you looked at the food rating chart here on EBN? This chart was made just for bullies so it is a good place to start looking for a premium food. Majority of vets are generalists and not familiar with the specific needs of a bully so may not always be the best source when it comes to things like bully diet. Ebn has a wealth of info and extremely knowledgeable bully people so I'm glad you have come here to seek help.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
though i raw feed i know that my dog has reaction to chicken and pork so i avoid it now,its a minefield feeding a dog but once you find a protien that suits dont be tempted to change it i have made this mistake before now with massive reactions,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! Chicken can be a problem with lots of Bully's! Including Jake..if you really want to save yourself lots of time and money..and poor Ellie a lot of discomfort...allergy testing is the only way to be certain. It isn't cheap, but neither is lots of vet trips and trying different kinds of dog foods! What food is she on right now?

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
She's on diamond natural lamb and it's slightly mixed with the chicken soup kind since we planned to use that one but I might try the switch to another one sooner than later. But I'm still just taking parts of her diet out to see which is the problem.

I want to try Fromm but I'm on a bugdet and it seems pricey?

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
How much does an allergy test usually range for cost? This seems like an important young to do for her.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
She's on diamond natural lamb and it's slightly mixed with the chicken soup kind since we planned to use that one but I might try the switch to another one sooner than later. But I'm still just taking parts of her diet out to see which is the problem.

I want to try Fromm but I'm on a bugdet and it seems pricey?
It is a little pricey...and there are other very good dog foods that will be a bit less expensive. I am in the process (just started) of switching Jake to Earthborne Holistics from Fromm Beef...it is about $10 a bag cheaper..but it is a smaller bag. And you should look upon your choice of food as an investment. An investment in good health for your sweet girl. That would mean less money spent on other problems down the road! Preventative maintenance if you will! I will tag a couple people that can give you more info on the allergy testing. @cowsmom ...@2BullyMama

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
How much does an allergy test usually range for cost? This seems like an important young to do for her.

From what I have been told allergy testing can get real expensive. With Abby we eliminated one thing at a time. Starting with plastics, such as the bowls, toys and bedding (polyester fibers) Then we worked on food, plastics made a big difference but not enough. eliminate one thing at a time and give it time to work out of her system. This is the way we figured Abby was allergic to Pork and Dairy. There are some limited ingredient foods out there that are still ranked rather high up the scale and lower in money. Also ck your local feed store or Petflow.com for prices. Our feeds store is very comparable to online stores and for every 10 bags I get, I get one of the same size free. We have 3 dogs and go through a large bag every 3 weeks, One bag should last you just over a month. With the higher brands you don't have to feed as much per serving.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

The full blood screen allergy test should run between - $150-200 and take a few days to a week to get the results back. It will give you high/low sensitive rates on foods and environment. It is the best money you spend on your baby which will save you time, money and your baby a lot of pain/discomfort down the road.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
The full blood screen allergy test should run between - $150-200 and take a few days to a week to get the results back. It will give you high/low sensitive rates on foods and environment. It is the best money you spend on your baby which will save you time, money and your baby a lot of pain/discomfort down the road.

I totally agree. For Mack I just had the food allergy screen done and it was $95. It would have been $180 had I had the environmental allergy test done too.

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
Thank you so much! I tried to sift out enough of the lamb kibble to try it alone for a few days and see what that will do! I will definitely be saving up for an allergen test though.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i for one can tell you that if your bully has alot of allergies then the best thing you can do is get the test done. i have been through 3 years of sifting through sarahs allergies and trying to find a food for her as she is my first bully and i had no idea anything about one. of course things were much better after i found this site almost a year ago but i am having her tested in the morning. its the best money i will spend on her. takes so much guessing out of what it is and can prevent future problems in feeding her something that sets her off allergy wise. you dont have to wonder hm can i feed her some cheese. good luck. and if you need help with kibble just give me a hollar.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.