elk antlers vs bully sticks

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
We have elk antlers and dura chew souper nylabones in all flavors. No experience with bully sticks, they gross me out.

[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] bully sticks "are made from the pizzle or penis of the bull."

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my dogs chew on deer antlers and bully sticks and have had no problem with either!!! The antlers tend to last a lot longer than the bully sticks though!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION] I'm sure Mack would be fine with the large elk antlers but Ruggles(aka JAWS) is a very strong chewer and our vet has removed shards of bone and antlers from dogs' intestines before and warned us against giving them to our boys. Our vet's experience was with dogs who found dead deer and elk in their fields so its not the same as store bought antlers but we decided to heed the warning!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
antlers are awesome... no splinters and they last a very long time. Bully sticks I do not like -- they soften and STINK

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Stay away from the bully sticks! First they're messy, very messy and second, they're similar to rawhides. I got them by mistake and after one chew I threw them away. I thought they were antlers at the time because that's what I had ordered and I was new to them. I had no clue, I just knew they weren't good. Here's the picture I took.

7-1-1119.jpg

Attachments

• 7-1-11 (19).jpg
    7-1-11 (19).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I

ImAGuinneyPig

We love elk antlers at our house. No problems with them. They never splinter. Great for chewing and last forever.

We don't do bully sticks. They stink, they don't last long, and Guinness doesn't really like them anyway. They make her tummy upset.

We also like yak's milk bones. Guinn loves them. They are natural, last a while, are a tad bit messy, but are great for sensitive tummies.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont know about elk antlers or bully sticks but my dogs love their deer antlers. they last forever and so far no problems. i cant take them away as they dont really like there nylabones much. esp sarah she will not eat them so deer antlers is all she will chew.

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I tried bully sticks, Luna loved them but they stunk and looked gross when they got soggy. We gave her an antler and she loves it, we had it for a month now and it's still good as new.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
You need to be careful with bully sticks. They get kind of greasy and can cause diahrreah. Also there was an article a while back about bacterial build up with the bully sticks. They tend to stink to high hell and gave my yorkie diahrrea so I stopped them.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We love antlers here..Jake's last one lasted 7 months and he can destroy anything! I finally replaced it because it looked a bit dry to me..but he loves them. :barf: to Bully Sticks...we also love nylabones

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Haven't tried bully sticks ..... just the thought of what they are made from puts me off.

We love the antlers!! I believe the prepared ones you have been treated so that they don't splinter and they are very nutritious for your bully!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online