Help me decide about food?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I have P on Fromm Salmon a la veg right now. She is ok on it. Much better than she was on a chicken based food (Wellness Puppy) & even on Fromm Puppy (which has chicken), but she still isn't great. She gets very watery eyes frequently & her face gets very pink at times. I recently realized that the Fromm Salmon does have chicken or chicken cartlidge in it (I've looked at so many, I can't remember exactly now).

I was thinking of switching to the Beef Fritatta, but I have to drive to get it or order. I got the salmon when we went to obedience class, but we are finished or now. I have a pet store across the street which carries a variety of decent brands. I looked to order the Beef Fritatta, but I'm not thrilled about the price increase. We are really try to save money, and "trim the fat" in our spending.

So, any recs about what else to try? I would like something I could buy across the street (they pretty much have everything but Fromm) & less expensive, but more importantly doesn't contain chicken and is still a high quality food. I don't know if she has any allergies besides chicken. I feel like it's a bit extreme to jump straight to grain free?

The more I read the more overwhelmed I get.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have been through the same thing! I had started on Fromm Surf n Turf..found out chicken in that too..then went to Beef Fritatta. Jake is better, but not as good as I'd like. I tried NVI Salmon..he had an immediate horrible reaction, so back to Beef Fritatta. I got advice and decided to try Earthborn Holistics Great Plains Feast..no chicken..grain free and I do think it's a bit cheaper. [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] uses it too. Our order is just arriving today from Petflow, but I've only heard and read good things! Just something to consider! Good Luck, it's hard!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@cowsmom
@JAKEISGREAT
@MissPennyLue

Yes, I recently switched Jack to Earthborn Great Plains Feast...
He's been on 100% ration now for about 4 days. Its seems to be working. His eyes are still runny but not as much as before when I had him on NVI Lamb .
Its still early.. I'll give it a good 2 full weeks before I decide whether its the one or not...

My cost is $49.99 for their big bag ( 28 lbs i think) and I print out a $10 coupon from ALLPetsemporium
So my cost is only $39.99 plus tax... even cheaper than PetFlow which I had been using....

Good Luck...

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION]...thanks! Have you tried Benadryl or anything for his runny eyes? I've found Jakes are more environmental..

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], what type of reaction did he have to the NVI?
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], thanks for the info! Have done some reading & this seems like an excellent food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT , what type of reaction did he have to the NVI?
@Jack Daniels , thanks for the info! Have done some reading & this seems like an excellent food.

I had only just started his transition. He didn't even have 1/4 cup of the new food for 2 days and the pads of his feet turned bright pink and were so swollen! He licked them all night and I felt horrible! It was the salmon, so I assumed he was also allergic to that, but since then,after he was safely on his old food,I gave him salmon treats and he has been fine. I guess it's something else in that food, but I was amazed how quickly he had a problem. Of course,I had bought the biggest bag! :bang:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've only ever tried Fromm .... but recently have started having issues with Maggie's tear stains again!! :down:

I'll be trying another bag of beef frittata after we finish this one as I had the salmon last time. After two bags of beef if the tear stains are still there then I may be looking to switch which I'm really NOT looking forward to!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I've only ever tried Fromm .... but recently have started having issues with Maggie's tear stains again!! :down:

I'll be trying another bag of beef frittata after we finish this one as I had the salmon last time. After two bags of beef if the tear stains are still there then I may be looking to switch which I'm really NOT looking forward to!!!

I SO feel your pain, Karen! The only somewhat positive thing is, there seems to be new awesome choices. Now...to find JUST the right one!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Yea, I tried benedryl (generic form) and to be honest, I never saw any effect...

He's gonna be neutered now in Feb. and Im gonna ask them to also run an allergy test....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

I know ... can't wait!!! Although, chicken is the bad thing for Maggie and I think her tolerance for it is getting worse!! I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping the two new grain free flavours are chicken free too!! :pray:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Both the two new grain free FROMM have chicken in it.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Fromm 4-Star Salmon Tunalini Grain Free for Dogs 26 lb. Agrain-free recipe made with fresh wild salmon and tuna with a medley ofMediterranean garden vegetables. Ingredients: Salmon, Salmon meal, peas,potatoes, pea fiber, dried tomato pomace, tuna, whole dried egg, sardine meal,anchovy meal, chicken liver, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols),salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), carrots, celery, parsley,lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, eggplant, chicken cartilage, potassium chloride,salt, chicory root extract, yucca schidigers extract, sodium selenite, folicacid, taurine, vitamins, minerals, probiotics.

Fromm 4-Star Game Bird Recipe Grain Free for Dogs 26 lb. A grain-freeentree of fresh duck, turkey, quail and pheasant with fruits and vegetables.Ingredients: duck, duck meal, peas, turkey, potatoes, pea protein, dried tomatopomace, pea flour, whole dried eggs, quail, chicken meal, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon oil (preserved with mixedtocopherols), sweet potatoes, chicken, pheasant, cheese, flaxseed, carrots,broccoli, cauliflower, apples, celery, parsley, lettuce, spinach, chickencartilage, potassium chloride, blueberries, cranberries, salt, chicory rootextract, yucca schidigara extract, alfalfa sprouts, sodium selenite, folicacid, taurine, Vitamins, Minerals, probiotics

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
I used to feed my bully Taste of the Wild salmon formula and unfortunately he broke out with bumps on his back and had goopy eyes. After i visit to the vet, i decided to change his food to Natures Variety Instinct salmon formula. The bumps went away and his began to clear up (not totally but better than before). After I ran out of that, i accidentally bough Natures Variety Instinct limited ingredient diet. It is still good, but after this bag I will go back to the NVI salmon formula. His coat looked great and he totally lost that stinky dog smell.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.