Even pet pharmacists need bulldog food advice! New member here in N. Colorado, please help!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You will get to the bottom of this! One note..the surf n turf does have chicken meal, which might be perfectly ok for your guys, but unfortunately Jake had "issues"! But, it's a great place to start and hopefully yours will do great!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We feed HRH Fromm beef Frittata because although she did better on surf and turf than on the Bil Jac the breeder was feeding her she still had some issues with paw licking and yeast.

We also think she is one of the rare ones who can't eat salmon. But she does do fine with fish oil capsules, cranberry gel cap supplements, Greek yogurt and bananas that she gets in addition to the Beef Frittata. What treats they get can impact things a lot too. That's how we figured out the salmon issues when we tried giving her salmon treats.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm so sorry to hear all you've been through. While each bully is different, Wilson is doing very well on Blue Buffalo Basics. I did have him allergic and he's on grain free. He's also allergic to chicken. I don't have much more to add but I wanted to say welcome to EBN. It's a great place with a wealth of knowledge.

I see you're in Fort Collins. That's a good distance from here (couple of hours) where I am but we have an excellent bully vet in Centennial off I-25/Arapahoe - Dr. Tom J. Geiselhardt, D.V.M. You may want to call him homestead-animal-hospital.com. He's also on the vet recommendation list here.

Keep us posted and I wish you the very best! :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... so sorry you are not feeling well and so stressed over you babies. I too recently lost my sweet boy, Nitschke -- he was allergic to (what seemed to be ) everything -- rice, dairy, trees, grass, weeds, molds, etc. etc. My girl, Banks, is highly allergic to chicken, and has a lot of yeast issues. About a month ago, I changed her from raw food (long story) to Fromm Beef and she is doing great!

Once you get the pred out of their system... get the full blood screen allergy test done -- it will save you a lot of worry, time and headaches trying to figure out what to avoid.

Good luck -- fell better and keep us posted

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I decided to try to stay home and get well and read all your posts, and get them an appt. for the tests, I did have helper pick up the Fromm beef frittata to start easing them into it because its bound to help and not hurt, or so I'm praying....I've found out from being a pharmaceutical rep and pharmacy owner that if we can all 2 and 4 legged critters find a way to not have to use medications unless absolutely needed, we are better off....one thing makes one symptom better and another worse sometimes, but when we need it or its esp. acute, you have to have it. I just am overly concerned after loosing one. BTW...lol I can tell you all about medications etc., but I'm nearly computer illiterate, how do you post a pic to this site??? I have a MacBook Pro here in CO...it goes to facebook, etc, but couldn't find a way to post a profile pic here, its probably much easier than solving this allergy and gas problem! HA! Thanks again to everyone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
bullyloverforlife;141462 how do you post a pic to this site??? I have a MacBook Pro here in CO...it goes to facebook said:
'Select Go Advanced'.... scroll down and select photobucket. There is a tutorial on the forum page that you can read through

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I'm so sorry about your boy too....your heart really isn't completely alive until you have a bulldog. Neither of these are Norman, or his personality, its strange....maybe just because he was the first....but he was seriously "human"....lol Tootsie was kind of Norman's pet, altho she loves us and humans too, but it was like she was his pet, he hated the intrusion at first, then she was sick after being allergic to the stitches they used internally when she was spayed, and had to be separated from him, and he freaked out looking all over for her, dragging her bed around....we got her for him when we'd have to fly to Texas and couldn't take him because of the heat, etc our best friend and dog trainer would stay with him and house sit and take him with her, but he just wanted to play with us, and we weren't there 24/7, so we got her, however he was always the top dog, he just had his own pet....lol She was so depressed when he was gone, we couldn't get her off her bed, and she'd lay on top of where we buried him....it was awful. We got Teddy because we were afraid we'd loose Tootsie to grief, and they love each other, and want to sleep snuggled up, and he can't stand her out of his sight, she can do without him a bit more, he's very protective of his space with me and won't allow her to sit by me very often...we've hired Dr. Gail Clark that has written several books and lives here, and her assistants to dog and house sit, and they are much better, but on occasion, "get into it"
and its scary. We've spared no expense or love on them, even tho, on some level I think Tootsie was Norman's pet, and Teddy is company for Tootsie, but neither of them actually started out as just our pet...that probably makes no sense, but as I've been here all day thinking, I wonder if they don't stress each other out, even tho they at this moment are sleeping on top of one another behind me on the sofa as I type. We do not favor one or the other, and love them dearly, and both were raised and doted on and treated just as Norman. I know they are all different just like our own children are, these 2 just have such a different dynamic that I have thought all day about it....rambling again....Just trying to think of any and everything that could trigger this besides the food and meds. I know some of the meds, albeit maybe needed at the time, have added the insult to injury here and there, and even as an owner that faced down cancer, as a pharm. rep, and pharmacy owner, we try to not take anything unless absolutely needed...we have compounded so many alternative things when we can to lower side effects, for 2 and 4 legged creatures, and try to go with organic and natural and alternative when we can, drugs have their place when you need them tho, but I'm a big believer now in prevention so you don't need them. We have 40+ horses too....so I worry alot...!!!! If you think bulldogs are trouble, we can put a horse in a padded stall to keep them from getting a boo-boo, and they'll eat the padding and colic....its amazing. I swear I've told my grown kids that showed horses and have been major dog lovers and are, that the horses and dogs went to the doctor more than they ever did! Anyway, thanks for all the help, and if you've ever brought another bulldog into a situation like this, and had troubles, even with them not breeding dogs, I'd love to hear that too, maybe should have another post tho. I'm seriously not projecting Norman on them, and I'm sure its evident we will never get over him, but we totally give them all the same advantages and considerations and amount of fretting...It'd be nice to know if anyone else has ever had issues like this and if it caused more stress on the bulldogs, you already know its stressed us out...lol Thanks tons, its nice to be in a group!!!!!

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
Thank you soooo much, I'll certainly keep that in mind and I appreciate all the input and "family" feel here! I will contribute also in the future on all our "knowledge, trials and tribulations"!

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I read all about the chicken issues and I'm sure ours would have it....lol got a small bag of the Fromm beef and will start introducing it tomorrow. We have pharmaceutical grade fish oil and cranberry and all that in vegan caps or in treats too, so I'll start them back on it, and if any of you need any that is done in sterile conditions and 100% organic etc, let us know, we'll help you out! I took them off everything to just see if it was the food alone...I'll get the tests done and in the meantime just start with the food slowly....ours didn't tolerate the salmon either in Blue Basics, still runny poop, vomiting some, and still Tootsie with eye goop major....turkey was better on the poop and vomit, allergy worse.....thanks for everything!

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
It seems if I hit reply to a certain persons post, it just goes below the last....hope ya'll understood who I was replying to! We are on a halter horse forum and it works differently I guess...if you hit reply under a persons posts, it posts right after their comment....sorry.....

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
Finally figured out how to post a pic.....this is an old one of the day we got Teddy and he and Tootsie met for the first time, the photos that are current I need to import to this new laptop. I sure appreciate the help, and have them an appt. and last night Tootsie kinda went to her bed where they usually sleep together and I let Teddy sleep with me, so I'm trying to give them lots of love and support while we are figuring this out and keep them stress-free.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It seems if I hit reply to a certain persons post, it just goes below the last....hope ya'll understood who I was replying to! We are on a halter horse forum and it works differently I guess...if you hit reply under a persons posts, it posts right after their comment....sorry.....

Just hit "reply with quote" if you want to reply to a specific quote. No apologies ever needed here!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=4087]bullyloverforlife[/MENTION]

When you want to respond to a specific person using a quote, instead of hitting "reply" select the one next to it that says "reply with quote". Also, if you are wanting to draw attention to your post (as I did just now with you) simply use the "@" and put the person's user name right after it. Make sure the user name is correct or it wont tag the person. Example [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] vs @libra

I will pm you. I have questions about pricing on Potassium bromide.

***I need to add, make sure you select "reply with quote" on that specific quote you want to quote.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online