Even pet pharmacists need bulldog food advice! New member here in N. Colorado, please help!

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
We own and operate a human and vet compounding pharmacy, and our "kids" really need help. We had our first bulldog "Norman" and lost him to gastric torsion and we'd tried every brand the vet recommended, he was a picky eater, but thought we'd found one he'd eat, had the raised bowls, did everything "right", it nearly killed us, I found him "asleep" with his sister Tootsie, our female we'd gotten to keep him some company, and he was gone. I don't go a day that I don't think about him, we had his picture painted surfing in our pool in Texas before I even started staying in our house in Colorado because of the extreme heat for him, he was on the Art Walk here, it was just awful. Tootsie was so depressed we got another bulldog, Teddie to keep her company. Needless to say, I'm paranoid, and we talk to vets daily, and I've spent any and all $$ to keep these "kids" healthy. I'll leave out the details of the other issues, because now I know I'm going to have to change food again. Tootsie has awful allergies, her eyes have green boogers no matter how much or how many different ointments or drops we have put in, for however long, she has the red muzzle and constantly is licking her feet, which are red betw. her toes, and has had several colds...been on predisone, benadryl you name it, thank goodness we can compound or have most of the Rx's. We wash their beds inside alot, they do have some in the garage they stay on with heating lamps and a heater in case I'm gone and it gets cold they have a place to run into for awhile til I get home....they don't get washed as much....Anyway, I know I'm rambling but I've been awake half the night worrrying....lol So, we've treated Tootsie with everything, Teddy never had an issue except being a tad overweight...UNTIL NOW. He has broken out with a rash while we were gone over the holidays staying with the dog/house sitter. We are treating him with Rx's for every type of skin condition on alternate days, I've been really sick so he hasn't been to the vet, and we have a bulldog per se vet, but we've seen this before and had everything to hit him with and it is improving, hair is growing back. We have had them on California Nat'ls, lamb and rice, Norman died on that one, these dogs had runny poop and would vomit on it, so I ran from that..I changed to the Royal Canine Bulldog food, still runny type poops and gagging...we have the divided dishes for slower eating, you name it....then we went to Blue Buffalo fish and potato and it was ok for a bit, but then runny poop started again, changed the protein to the turkey and potato, and now great poop, but now they both have skin allergies awful, and Teddy has just broken out, and never had gas, and he has gas, and Tootsie has always been a lil gassy on any brand of food, now she is AWFUL, you can hear and smell it across the room....So now I'm scared to death over the skin allergy and all the meds aren't doing any good, I think the antibiotics they had her on for the "cold" made that worse, they've had probiotics we compounded so we know they are getting what might not be in the food, but seriously, it made them even gassier. They both seem to have a yeast problem, Teddy's face is stinky no matter what type of food, and how many times I wipe his face. I looked at the list ya'll have, and I can get several here I think, but I really need to know what ya'll have found to be best for gas, skin allergies, and yeast. I'm scared to death I'll loose another one. They are shedding awful too, and I had them on AKC shed supplements, which seemed to help, but I've taken them off everything except just the food so I will know if its just that. Please help! I need to get something today or tomorrow if I can, I'm at wits end! Thanks so much, and so glad I found this site. If we can help with anyone's vet Rx questions etc. we'll be glad to help also!!!! Or anything about anything! Jill in Fort Collins CO, for Teddy and Tootsie.....wahhhhh

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..I'm so sorry for all your heartache up to now. There are people with lots of food knowledge and we will tag them to come. I know Royal Canin is a very low rated food. Have you had allergy testing done? Honestly, it saves so much suffering. It will give you a knowledge base of what to try and what to stay away from. Personally, I've found out chicken is a real trigger for many bulldogs. Let me tag a few people to get their input..oh and welcome. You've found a wonderful support system. @desertskybulldogs . @cowsmom . @2BullyMama . @Davidh

Also..the potatoes will cause yeast issues

FYI..I feed grain free Fromm Beef Fritatta

:confused: why am I underlining everything! Grrrr

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok first thing take a breath. next i will try do address the issues. one thing i notice is that these foods either contain a grain or potato which can be a problem for some dogs and yeast. its hard to know what the problem is as bullies are so prone to allergies which is where the gas and stuff is coming from. i would seriously consider getting a BLOOD ALLERGY TEST for both dogs asap. you can chase your tail forever trying to figure out what is causing the allergies and never get it. this will tell you what they are allergic to be it environmental or food. bullies can have environmental allergies so this may not be all food related. ok as far as the food goes. there are a couple you can try with no potato. nvi has 2 limited ingredient foods a turkey and a lamb that use tapioca instead of potatoes. also dogswell nutrisca makes 3 varietys chicken, lamb, and salmon that use peas as a protein. now you say your one dog broke out when staying with someone else? has this went away since being home? bullies can get upset when things around them change so this may just be a case of that. ok now for the yeasty face. many use witch hazel to wipe the dogs face with. also yeast love wetness so make sure you dry your bullies folds when you are done cleaning. i use lotrimin powder as it kills yeast and keeps it dry at the same time. i think some use mal-a-ket wipes which is ketoconazole and chlorhexadine i think thats how its spelled. now what kind of skin condition do they have? is it yeast? if so i use chloraseb shampoo or mal-a-ket shampoo or the vet can give you one. i would say maybe some acidophillus pills would be in order to try to get the yeast in check. this can come from a lowered immune system so getting that back in order is important. that all i have at the moment im sure someone will come along soon with something else to add. i so hope they get better.

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I just talked to several folks here about the top rated foods to see if they were carried and a guy thats owned a feed store that carries most of the top 5, suggested the Fromm Surf and Turf.....any opinions, I gotta get started on something different!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4087]bullyloverforlife[/MENTION] geez i just posted all that good stuff. actually i think its fine but many here will warn you away from chicken as many bullies have allergies to it thats why they use the beef fritatta. for me its fine as my bully has no problem with chicken and let us know how its going please

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
Just read the above post, thanks Cowmom, and I do need to take a breath! I've got the flu now, but I'll get them to the vet asap, altho they've been before, they haven't had an allergy test. I will continue to do the wipes, etc...also, we compound alot of this, I don't think its the environment tooo much, since Teddy never had an issue til this food, and this is the first time he's been left that he broke out....and he's never had gas til now. Been feeding the turkey and potato for a good while, so I'm thinking its made Tootsie worse, and now he is finally catching up.....its very distressing! I thought the Blue Buffalo basics would do it, but not even there fish and potato worked, so potato and grain is out for sure!

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
OMG....sorry! I was ahead...they thought the Fromm was their most popular food of the top 5 they carried off the list, but thought since Tootsie, who earns her nickname Toots, would have more gas on the beef???

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4087]bullyloverforlife[/MENTION] as i said mine have no problem with chicken so i say try it what you got to lose really its a mess now as it is. i was just saying lots here will warn you away from chicken. its up to you really what you feel is best for your bullies since you are there with them.

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I guess they've never had chicken, so I guessing the Surf and Turf does.....I'd rather not take a chance since lamb, and turkey and fish even with rice, or potato hasn't helped, guess they've never had beef...thank you sooooo much, its frustrating and I will get the other tests done as soon as I'm up and out of here. Will send friend to get the beef fritta to try I guess. This isn't working at all....

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
The Blue Buffalo isn't working is what I meant, and I guess other than worrying now about another feed change and tummy upset, I have to do something! Until they can get to the vet again.

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
I hope its just the potato and/or the rice they've had in the past, and not the protein.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
as someone who has been through many many food with sarah it is a daunting task to narrow down what it is. i am taking sarah soon for her test and wish i would have done it a long time ago would have saved alot of heartache and misadventures with her. but then again i have gained something that i can pass on to others who are having trouble.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] has given you some great advice. We feed ours Royal Canin a long time ago and they had terrible gas. Lucy had some allergies and we put her on the FROMM Surf N Turf and she did great. Good luck and keep us posted.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So sorry for all that you have been through and for your loss. I am so glad that you found us here, there is a world's worth of bulldog experience among the members. Cowsmom gave you great advice already. I know that we went through several foods for our guy Frank when he was a puppy, including Blue Buffalo and California Natural and found out that both those were bad for him....they gave him horrible gas and runny poops. After trial and error, found Fromm Beef Frittata and Fromm Surf n' Turf (both grain free) to be the best foods for him. You are on the right path to taking great care of your babies! Good luck and feel free to ask anything here at EBN!

OP
bullyloverforlife

bullyloverforlife

Jan 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie and Teddy
Thanks sooo much, our pharmacy is in Texas and CO and hubby of course in Texas while I'm here with the flu, or I'd take them right now. I also know that the prednisone altho the vet thought it would help Tootsie to get over the acute allergy, as we know in pharmacy is an immune system depressant, and probably in the long run, esp. with the antibiotics, which unbalance all the flora in the gut, has now just gotten everything out of whack, and Teddy is just now becoming allergic to the food too..may have stemmed from some stress also....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.