Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
So we currently have Tank on AvoDerm and his tear stains seem to be a little wet still. I read on someone's post that food allergies can cause that. So we were thinking of switching to Fromm Four Star since it is grain free and we've switched from Chicken (which we assumed he was allergic to) to Salmon and it still seems to not be helping.

So my questions are:

What dog food do you have your bully on?

If on Fromm, what do you recommed?

Where can you buy Fromm? (We have checked local pet stores by us and the only few that do sell it only sell one type which was not the Four Star brand that we are looking for)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can get Fromm easily through Petflow (click the link) and use coupon code englishbulldog and get free shipping on orders over $49, directly to your door. Make sure you order a week before you need it, just to be certain you get it in time. But mine usually arrives in just two days.

I use the beef frittata, it is universal with all my bullies. Jesse does a bit better on the AvoDerm Salmon grain free or Fromm Surf and Turf, he eyes look brighter. Molly does a bit better on Lamb based foods, but otherwise the Beef Frittatta works well all around on my pack. It so far is the only food I can get that makes me and every-bully happy!

Tears stains can be caused by many different things, but food can be one of those. I have seen many say that Avoderm gave their bully stains and it did clear up with Fromm, however, for Molly and Jesse that is not the case. They have no tear stains on Avoderm, but my other 3 did have them.

Do you clean the stains and folds daily with anything?

Keep us posted on your decision! And don't forget to contact [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] if you have success so you can provide her with your dog food testimonial for our nutrition articles.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..have you ever asked a loaded question! I'm newer to the food thing..but we have discovered Jake is also sensitive to chicken and we tried Fomm Surf n Turf...no go..it has chicken. We ended up with the Beef Fritatta and there was a big improvement. After a few months, I was still not happy and noticed although much..much better, he had runny eyes. I decided to try Natures Variety Instinct and tried the salmon. Bad choice for him! On his 2nd day, I started to see bumps on his skin and the 3rd day the pads of his feet got pink and swollen. Soooo..I now know he is also allergic to salmon! :bang:
I went right back to the Fromm Beef. I will try something else down the road, but I think sometimes good is okay with these guys and their food! If you have a feed and grain store near you they might carry Fromm. I found it in one near me.
Also the tearing eyes can be an environmental allergy! Good luck..I hope you find the right food for Tank!

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, both! That helps me a lot!

As for cleaning the folds and such we do that every day. We use warm water and soap and then dry them. Throughout the day I will use a baby wipe if Tanks cheeks look wet (non scented of course). I know the food probably won't help 100% but it's worth a shot. Is there any other way to clean his folds and stains? Maybe what we're doing isn't good enough

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you, both! That helps me a lot!

As for cleaning the folds and such we do that every day. We use warm water and soap and then dry them. Throughout the day I will use a baby wipe if Tanks cheeks look wet (non scented of course). I know the food probably won't help 100% but it's worth a shot. Is there any other way to clean his folds and stains? Maybe what we're doing isn't good enough

I love witch hazel. You can put it on a Qtip and get right in the wrinkles and use on cotton pads to wipe folds and clean inside his ears. As an astringent it is a drying agent, so you don't have to worry about moisture. It's cheap too!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I love using Witch Hazel too. I sometimes also will use a Qtip to apply a little bit of Gold Bond Medicated Powder carefully in folds.

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay I am going to have to get some of that and try it. Thanks! And you're right, it is pretty cheap!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm on my third food switch with Wilson. He has horrible watery eyes. I'm thinking his though are not food related and could possibly be tear duct issues and/or environmental. His eyes constantly water but when he goes to sleep for the night and wakes up in the morning, they are 100% dry. He's been allergy tested so at least I know what I can eliminate. When he goes in for his neuter in a few months my vet will take a look at his eyes then. I have considered switching him to Fromm in a few months. I found a place here locally that will deliver to my doorstep for free and their prices are actually cheaper thank PetFlow.

If you switch foods and Tank's watery eyes stop, please be sure to let me know so we can do a write up on your success! :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've been given great advice so i have nothing to add... just confirming it is good stuff!

OP
boomsboo

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - I will definitely let you know how it works out! :yes:

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Does anyone know where you can find Witch Hazel in Toronto, Canada? I think that would be a really good thing to use on Sumo's stains. I'm thinking about switching her also. I've only ever had her on Royal Canin, and i think she could be doing better on a different brand. It looks like people like the beef one best. Is it way more expensive than what i would be paying now? Thanks everyone!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Does anyone know where you can find Witch Hazel in Toronto, Canada? I think that would be a really good thing to use on Sumo's stains. I'm thinking about switching her also. I've only ever had her on Royal Canin, and i think she could be doing better on a different brand. It looks like people like the beef one best. Is it way more expensive than what i would be paying now? Thanks everyone!

you can get witch hazel at most health food stores in toronto. i had gregory on royal canin and we switched off of it. hes now eating acana. you should check it out, its made in canada

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Have you found that Acana is better? Which type do you buy?
he eats the pacfica one that is grain free, its the same price as royal canin and you can get it at global pets. i like it much better, if you look at the ingredients youll see it has alot of great stuff. the dog food advisor website gave it 5stars.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online